Singapore Expats

Plants that deter insects? Suggestions appreciated

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 15 Oct 2014 7:21 pm

What's good against teeny tiny ants?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 1:13 am

PNGMK wrote:+1 - don't hurt the Geckos. We leave ours be and we have no ants/roaches and very few mozzies. Tinny the cat takes care of the occasional locust or preying mantis.
No cat over here but the geckos do a fine job at ensuring peace from anything less welcome. Haven't seen anything crawling or flying in a long while now...

P.S. Can they actually take on a grown roach? :)

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 1:16 am

Brah wrote:What's good against teeny tiny ants?
Keep anything with sugar in the fridge, not out in the open. And I mean cereals, snacks, the whole lot (at least until they're gone and haven't come back for a while). Only thing that worked at our previous place, apart from spraying their routes and entrance/exit points when you spot them.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 7:21 am

aster wrote:
PNGMK wrote:+1 - don't hurt the Geckos. We leave ours be and we have no ants/roaches and very few mozzies. Tinny the cat takes care of the occasional locust or preying mantis.
No cat over here but the geckos do a fine job at ensuring peace from anything less welcome. Haven't seen anything crawling or flying in a long while now...

I'd love to know that too. We hardly ever get roaches nowadays and it may well be because of our gecko sentries. I'm guessing they're gulping down the smaller roaches before they become adults.

But every so often, I do spot a dead or nearly-dead adult roach lying belly up in the middle of the room. And since we don't use any toxins, I'm thinking that perhaps one or more of our geckos attack the big roaches too, but then find they're too big to even cut to size so they leave them for dead.

Wow, imagine that epic battle eh.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 8:45 am

Max Headroom wrote:
aster wrote:

I'd love to know that too. We hardly ever get roaches nowadays and it may well be because of our gecko sentries. I'm guessing they're gulping down the smaller roaches before they become adults.

But every so often, I do spot a dead or nearly-dead adult roach lying belly up in the middle of the room. And since we don't use any toxins, I'm thinking that perhaps one or more of our geckos attack the big roaches too, but then find they're too big to even cut to size so they leave them for dead.

Wow, imagine that epic battle eh.
We can try and test it out. You get me a gecko. I volunteer a full-grown American cockroach.

*There is such thing called American cockroach (Periplaneta americana). Having said that, there are German cockroaches, Oriental cockroaches, Australian cockroaches...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 9:34 am

the lynx wrote: *There is such thing called American cockroach (Periplaneta americana). Having said that, there are German cockroaches, Oriental cockroaches, Australian cockroaches...
'But wait, it gets better!'

There are Madagascan hissing cockroaches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGiUq42fv-c
['Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches']

p.s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-gcdbG2tk8
Giant Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches :o

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:22 am