Singapore Expats

Finding a job in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ecilauhc

Finding a job in Singapore

Post by ecilauhc » Sun, 05 Oct 2014 3:29 am

Hi,

I'm working in NZ as a Test Analyst with only 2 years of experience (this is my first job out of uni). I'm ready to go overseas and I'm thinking about going to Singapore next year.

I've started doing some research and looking at some jobs over there. I'm wondering how difficult is it to find a job in Singapore? Should I apply for jobs from here or is it better for me to just go over and start job hunting?

Any help would be appreciated!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 05 Oct 2014 6:52 am

What do you offer that a local experienced grad cannot offer?

Nothing.

No chance.

Get a youth visa to the UK or something like that (there is a youth workers visa for Singapore actually).

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Sun, 05 Oct 2014 10:49 am

Come to Singapore and look in person. You are very unlikely to get any response at all without a singapore address and phone number.

The recruitment cycle in Singapore is a lot longer then in most countries (including NZ where I've worked before.). I'd suggest you need to plan for 2+ months. You can spend a lot of time visiting neighboring countries in between interviews.

Have you done much research on salaries? My general impression is salaries are a lot lower for front-line it staff here due to close proximity. This has contributed to a very high outsourcing penetration here.

If a youth Visa is available as per above suggestion, this will be a much better option. It means you'll be employable from the get-go amd will be in the local bucket rather then the foreigner bucket in the HR interview queue.

Siv
Regular
Regular

Post by Siv » Sun, 05 Oct 2014 5:34 pm

^^

Always best to be in country and try to seek employment. Just make sure you don't overstay.

But as brian_singapore said, the recruitment cycle can be longer than expected, so again....remember to don't overstay... :wink:

Cheers,

Siv

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Sun, 05 Oct 2014 5:48 pm

Your 30 day social visit pass will be renewed every time you leave and exit. BUT despite doing this myself for 2 months, no idea how long you can keep this up. Nothing concrete and it may have been my imagination but I got the impression I was pushing it towards the end.

Again, would highly recommend a youth visa if available, but I know nothing about this as I'm well past the point where it applies....

Siv
Regular
Regular

Post by Siv » Sun, 05 Oct 2014 6:57 pm

brian_singapore wrote:Your 30 day social visit pass will be renewed every time you leave and exit. BUT despite doing this myself for 2 months, no idea how long you can keep this up. Nothing concrete and it may have been my imagination but I got the impression I was pushing it towards the end.

Again, would highly recommend a youth visa if available, but I know nothing about this as I'm well past the point where it applies....
True.

Do exercise caution, though, as doing this a few times may eventually raise a flag at immigration. Which could subsequently lead to other headaches. The LAST thing you need....

JonS

Post by JonS » Sun, 12 Oct 2014 9:06 am

The Singapore government is cutting out jobs available to foreigners, so my advice would be to get a job secured before u land.

JonS

Post by JonS » Sun, 12 Oct 2014 9:08 am

The Singapore government is cutting out jobs available to foreigners, so my advice would be to get a job secured before u land.