Singapore Expats

Ebola rears its ugly head

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 9:10 am

Strong Eagle wrote:The idiots at Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC have a hell of a lot to do with the fear mongering... these assholes care for nothing but ratings... and if the rubes all become frantic over a nightly news report, so much the better.

Ebola IS readily controllable. It is NOT spreading like wildfire. It is NOT an existentialist threat to the world. Health care conditions where Ebola is worst are APPALLING. Get real, people. This is not AIDS, this is not the bubonic plague, it's not even as bad as the periodic flu epidemics that sweep the world, killing far more people than Ebola has.
Yet. I worry. My son in law is in Dallas again till December. My daughter is in Angola. The cop who was in contact with the Liberian who died in Dallas probably, in the course of his normal daily duties, could have a contact list of several hundred. I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Complacency is what is going to make an epidemic of it if we are not careful. It's the incubation period that is going to make or break it. The longer the incubation period, the more people that are going to be infected. It's not an epidemic YET.

Oh, Flu epidemics? The mortality rate is considerably lower don't you think? And there are flu shots that are pretty good (albeit not for all strains).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:05 am

x9200 wrote:They are not idiots. They do what they think will sell and they are right. Unfortunately. People can be easily controlled. 90% of fatality rate, print it out and half of the world freaks out.
You're only half right. They know fear sells and that people can be easily controlled.

But they're still idiots.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:19 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I am laughing at it, and no I don't think that they can't be engineered in a lab. You're making a false assumption that by laughing at your deranged conspiracy theory I must be denying science.

Just like the technology did exist to fake the moon landings, or for 9/11 to be an inside job, doesn't mean either were.
I'm not going to argue with you about it, cause it will derail the thread as usual, but its NOT MY conspiracy theory, I commented on the fact that it was one of the purported theories that were going around.
If it's not your conspiracy theory, why are you sitting here giving it a half-hearted defense?

"It's not my conspiracy theory, but I'm going to keep replying with links and random insinuations that there is something to it"

yes, it was obviously made by a zionist-American-European conspiracy to clear out the darkies from all of the lands that the West's oil just happens to inconveniently be sitting under. Happy?

(That was sarcasm too since I fear you may not realize it)
So mentioning about a conspiracy theory implies that I'm automatically a believer of it? :roll:
The links I posted were about disease outbreaks, and I get the sarcasm and also your ability to jump to conclusions especially where there was none.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:The idiots at Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC have a hell of a lot to do with the fear mongering... these assholes care for nothing but ratings... and if the rubes all become frantic over a nightly news report, so much the better.

Ebola IS readily controllable. It is NOT spreading like wildfire. It is NOT an existentialist threat to the world. Health care conditions where Ebola is worst are APPALLING. Get real, people. This is not AIDS, this is not the bubonic plague, it's not even as bad as the periodic flu epidemics that sweep the world, killing far more people than Ebola has.
Yet. I worry. My son in law is in Dallas again till December. My daughter is in Angola. The cop who was in contact with the Liberian who died in Dallas probably, in the course of his normal daily duties, could have a contact list of several hundred. I think we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Complacency is what is going to make an epidemic of it if we are not careful. It's the incubation period that is going to make or break it. The longer the incubation period, the more people that are going to be infected. It's not an epidemic YET.

Oh, Flu epidemics? The mortality rate is considerably lower don't you think? And there are flu shots that are pretty good (albeit not for all strains).
I have a friend who is part of the UN Peace keeping force in Liberia, pretty worrying times for me as well.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late