Singapore Expats

Ebola rears its ugly head

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:45 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:One of the theories is that Ebola is a man made virus that was engineered during the cold war and then tested on monkeys in Africa, some of these monkeys escaped into the wild and passed the contagion on from one monkey to another and eventually to humans.
I think I read the same thing about AIDS. And I'm sure the same websites also have articles on 9/11, mh370, etc.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:54 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:One of the theories is that Ebola is a man made virus that was engineered during the cold war and then tested on monkeys in Africa, some of these monkeys escaped into the wild and passed the contagion on from one monkey to another and eventually to humans.
I think I read the same thing about AIDS. And I'm sure the same websites also have articles on 9/11, mh370, etc.
sure laugh it up if you want, but if you think viruses cannot be engineered in a lab you are sadly mistaken.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:57 am

PNGMK wrote:The second aspect that concerns me is that so many trained health professionals are being infected.... that should not be happening and makes me wonder if there is an unknown transmission path.
IMHO it's just because it is very contagious so there is no margin for an error and people make errors. Medical personnel dealing with it is in direct contact with excess of the virus every single day, for many days, under stress and has to rely on many other people also under great stress to have everything cleaned and disinfected.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 08 Oct 2014 11:55 am

Isn't this the premise of Outbreak?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:01 pm

nakatago wrote:
Isn't this the premise of Outbreak?
yes it was :wink:

and here is some latest news: ebola could reach UK in three weeks! :o

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/519141 ... n-in-weeks

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:22 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
sure laugh it up if you want, but if you think viruses cannot be engineered in a lab you are sadly mistaken.
I am laughing at it, and no I don't think that they can't be engineered in a lab. You're making a false assumption that by laughing at your deranged conspiracy theory I must be denying science.

Just like the technology did exist to fake the moon landings, or for 9/11 to be an inside job, doesn't mean either were.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:39 pm

The problem I see is that it's spreading through what appears to be very limited, accidental or casual contact. There's now a suspected case in Cairns.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 1:58 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I think I read the same thing about AIDS. And I'm sure the same websites also have articles on 9/11, mh370, etc.
I am laughing at it, and no I don't think that they can't be engineered in a lab. You're making a false assumption that by laughing at your deranged conspiracy theory I must be denying science.

Just like the technology did exist to fake the moon landings, or for 9/11 to be an inside job, doesn't mean either were.
I'm not going to argue with you about it, cause it will derail the thread as usual, but its NOT MY conspiracy theory, I commented on the fact that it was one of the purported theories that were going around.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:19 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: sure laugh it up if you want, but if you think viruses cannot be engineered in a lab you are sadly mistaken.

I'm not going to argue with you about it, cause it will derail the thread as usual, but its NOT MY conspiracy theory, I commented on the fact that it was one of the purported theories that were going around.
I am all for conspiracy theories , but doesnt Ebola originate from the same place/region everytime there is an outbreak?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:49 pm

Barnsley wrote: I am all for conspiracy theories , but doesnt Ebola originate from the same place/region everytime there is an outbreak?
Sub-Saharan Africa, so a pretty big area. Locals sleeping with the apes. Or was that AIDS? :wink:

Listened to a doctor on the radio this morning. When first infected there are no symptoms but it is also not contagious. He was pretty confident that the passengers on the flight carrying the infected chap to the US had not been exposed to the virus.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 3:13 pm

Barnsley wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I am laughing at it, and no I don't think that they can't be engineered in a lab. You're making a false assumption that by laughing at your deranged conspiracy theory I must be denying science.

I am all for conspiracy theories , but doesnt Ebola originate from the same place/region everytime there is an outbreak?
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/ ... n-map.html

and one more

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/maps/en/

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 2:16 am

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: sure laugh it up if you want, but if you think viruses cannot be engineered in a lab you are sadly mistaken.

If it's not your conspiracy theory, why are you sitting here giving it a half-hearted defense?

"It's not my conspiracy theory, but I'm going to keep replying with links and random insinuations that there is something to it"

yes, it was obviously made by a zionist-American-European conspiracy to clear out the darkies from all of the lands that the West's oil just happens to inconveniently be sitting under. Happy?

(That was sarcasm too since I fear you may not realize it)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 6:10 am

The idiots at Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC have a hell of a lot to do with the fear mongering... these assholes care for nothing but ratings... and if the rubes all become frantic over a nightly news report, so much the better.

Ebola IS readily controllable. It is NOT spreading like wildfire. It is NOT an existentialist threat to the world. Health care conditions where Ebola is worst are APPALLING. Get real, people. This is not AIDS, this is not the bubonic plague, it's not even as bad as the periodic flu epidemics that sweep the world, killing far more people than Ebola has.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 6:19 am

Strong Eagle wrote:The idiots at Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC have a hell of a lot to do with the fear mongering... these assholes care for nothing but ratings... and if the rubes all become frantic over a nightly news report, so much the better.

Ebola IS readily controllable. It is NOT spreading like wildfire. It is NOT an existentialist threat to the world. Health care conditions where Ebola is worst are APPALLING. Get real, people. This is not AIDS, this is not the bubonic plague, it's not even as bad as the periodic flu epidemics that sweep the world, killing far more people than Ebola has.
It's funny because every time I see a medical professional being interviewed about ebola, the doc would be like, "Oh yeah. We got this...by the way, any good places to grab something to eat around here?" The interviewer would then be like, "WHY AREN'T YOU FREAKING OUT?" with only the doctor having the "I know what I'm doing, you don't" look on his face.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 8:21 am

They are not idiots. They do what they think will sell and they are right. Unfortunately. People can be easily controlled. 90% of fatality rate, print it out and half of the world freaks out. Hardly anybody realizes that probably the main reason why the current outbreak crossed the borders of Africa is that this fatality rate is now lower.

I just have read that the nurse infected in Spain admitted she might have touched the protective suit after she removed it. She also said they had her waiting with fever for a few ours in a common room with other patients/personnel. Talking about human errors. One can be actually surprised why there is only one person infected so far in Spain if handling of such diseases looks like this.