Singapore Expats

IPA Received but found another job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Kalei Henry

IPA Received but found another job

Post by Kalei Henry » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 1:17 pm

Hi,

may I know will I be able to apply for another EP somewhere else if I have received an IPA for a job but have decided not to accept afterall.

Just curious, will the employer where my IPA has been issued with be able to find out about my future applications?

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 1:30 pm

Kalei Henry wrote:Hi,

may I know will I be able to apply for another EP somewhere else if I have received an IPA for a job but have decided not to accept afterall.

Just curious, will the employer where my IPA has been issued with be able to find out about my future applications?
1. Yes, but there is no guarantee of approval for future EPs.
2. They will know because you will need to ask them to cancel the current IPA before the new company can submit a new EP application for you. You can also let the current IPA expire after which you can apply for a new EP.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 1:47 pm

From what I know, IPAs have pretty long validity, something like 6 months.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 2:10 pm

Wd40 wrote:From what I know, IPAs have pretty long validity, something like 6 months.
then again, I don't know what MOM will do if you wait till the IPA expires, or ... if the next employer will wait

like the case of an LOC MOM may still insist the previous IPA must be cancelled, before new application can be accepted

after all the FIN # will still be the same

Process says cancel current EP approval before submitting new one

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

The elephant in the room

Post by The Ref » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 10:49 am

Hmmm .....
Why is no one pointing out that to get an IPA you must have signed an agreement or letter with the employer who has gone through the hiring process, found a suitable candidate, made an offer which was accepted then told all the other candidates they were unsuccessful.

You have a contract with the original company. Breaking it is poor form and actually has an impact on the *people* working at the company you signed with, plus the people who were also in the running for the new role. The impact on the company is less, but the company has still paid the consultants and MOM fees.

This happens way too often and I think it should be a black mark against future employment as it shows a complete disregard for others.

This might sound harsh but I have been on the opposite end of this and it is just downright rude.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 12:06 pm

The DO get a black mark by MOM, from what I've been told (not in so many words, however) so there is a good chance that it will impact future applications. Once can only hope. [-X

Another thing to think about. If the "new" prospective employer gets wind that you will have to cancel your existing IPA first before he can apply, he may just change his mind. Also, even if you DO manage to cancel and get a new IPA for the new employer, if he knows you tossed off your first company, he will be aware that he could just as easily be treated the same way, so if there is a downturn in the economy or some other reasons to modify their headcount, guess who I'd let go of first, knowing that that employee has no compunction about doing the same to the employer. Just sayin'.... :-|
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Thu, 09 Oct 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: The elephant in the room

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 12:08 pm

The Ref wrote:Hmmm .....
Why is no one pointing out that to get an IPA you must have signed an agreement or letter with the employer who has gone through the hiring process, found a suitable candidate, made an offer which was accepted then told all the other candidates they were unsuccessful.

You have a contract with the original company. Breaking it is poor form and actually has an impact on the *people* working at the company you signed with, plus the people who were also in the running for the new role. The impact on the company is less, but the company has still paid the consultants and MOM fees.

This happens way too often and I think it should be a black mark against future employment as it shows a complete disregard for others.

This might sound harsh but I have been on the opposite end of this and it is just downright rude.
I agree. But this is an ethics discussion and I am assuming OP knows all of this and doing it inspite of it. So its he who will bear the consequences, which could be "bird in hand lost and the 2 in the bushes also lost"

From what I have seen, amongst friends who have done this(3 of them recently,they were worse than the OP they joined a new company and then quit to join another company after like 1-3 months of joining. ), they have always ended up with loses. The current company usually holds them to pay 1 month salary and there could be other delays in joining the new company and they have lost a months salary is usually the 10% hike they were initially looking for.

The worst case was for a friend who's wife also lost her job because whe was on LoC and his EP got cancelled and the new EP got delayed. She was unemployed for several months before eventually finding another job.