Singapore Expats

Diner's club card?

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Diner's club card?

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 8:40 pm

Does anybody use diner's club cards? I applied for one when I was shopping in Mustafa, for a silly reason. The salesman was giving away 2 umbrellas for free and my wife saw and said, we need umbrellas. I thought ok, nothing to lose apply for the card and take the umbrellas, lol. Now the cards have arrived and I am wondering what good is it. From the little bit of research I did, their rewards programme isn't great and not make places accept Diner's card.

So I am wondering whether I could make any use of it at all or I will just cancel it before 1 yr from now.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 9:54 pm

Years ago, in the US, Diners Club cards were the easiest credit cards to obtain... if you had no credit or bad credit, getting a Diners Club card could start you back on the road to credit worthiness.

I've gotten offers for dozens of cards... but it just makes it harder to pay all the bills.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 10:42 pm

I've had a Diner's Club card here since 1983. I use it for large purchases like airline tickets or appliances as they offer 12 month interest free payment plans without any administrative charges. Also, their points never expire. And occasionally, if I really need to get on a plane in a hurry (e.g., Dad's funeral two years ago), they have always managed to somehow get me on a full flight without paying an arm and a leg. Otherwise, I don't use the card at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 08 Oct 2014 7:06 am

I have had one for 2 years and maybe used it 3 or 4 times. I see the 'Discover' sign in more places these days but rarely ever think about taking the card out of my wallet. I ahve better cards with better loyalty programs. As others have said, I would not put this card top of your usage list maybe just keep for backup.