Singapore Expats

Moving from US to Sing, shipping few boxes shipping options

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ras5

Moving from US to Sing, shipping few boxes shipping options

Post by ras5 » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 6:14 pm

I am moving from NY,US to Sing. I am planning to sell most of the stuff and might move with 30 large boxes of household and personal items(this is over estimate) and if possible my Dining table and two small furniture. (If air cargo is much cheaper, I might not move the furnitures at all).

I am exploring the shipping options. We are paying for the shipping. Wondering if anyone can suggest good & not so expensive shipping companies to do small shipping from US to Singapore. I did check with Seven Seas, but I guess it takes almost 3 months, which I don't mind. But would love to hear other options and valuable suggestions from who did this already.Thanks!

Not able to grab all of the original post but got what I could - moderator
Last edited by ras5 on Mon, 06 Oct 2014 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 7:04 pm

HAhahahahahaha!.

30 boxes?! What are you some President of Citibank? Coz if you're not, then you're bringing far too much stuff to fit in the average condo here.

<more>

Edit: I am guessing you are a returning Singaporean, based on your use of the word "furnitures"? Real people know that the plural of "furniture" is "furniture". ;)

Ok so here is the help:

LCL (less-than-container-load) is common in the shipping industry. Any shipping company will take your stuff and throw it in the next available half-empty container. That is why it will take longer - because you're waiting for the half-empty container to come along.
If you want speed, air freight. But it will be expensive.

If you really have only "a few" boxes, like 3 or 4, then use a luggage forwarding service. It's fast and relatively cheap compared to excess baggage or couriers. Google for "luggage forwarding".

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 7:25 pm

Good spot, CG! :P

But I will lay you odds it's a subcontinental (they also have a penchant for making it a plural as well). Wonder if they'll let us know? :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 9:24 pm

All other comments aside, NO, generally, you cannot bring in any plants.

ras5

Post by ras5 » Mon, 06 Oct 2014 10:02 pm

Thank you Strong Eagle!

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 7:01 am

Ok we should make it a board rule to quote the OP in the first reply...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Oct 2014 8:57 am

I usually do and if I see a thread going south, I usually go in and paste the quote into the first respondents post. Sometime, like yesterday evening I was painting bedrooms so missed but managed to find that much cached. :wink:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers