Singapore Expats

Singapore being praised as model Healthcare model

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 3:12 pm

PNGMK wrote:Beer - to retain access to medicare in Australia don't you have to remain tax resident?

Steve - forget private hospitals in Singapore for women's plumbing. In my wifes experience NUH or KKH are the only options.

Yes think so, in such situation likely I will need to repatriate anyway. I have paid my fair share of taxes in Aus in the past. It's not an ideal fallback so definitely a risk I hope will not come back to bite me.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 3:55 pm

Beeroclock wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Beer - to retain access to medicare in Australia don't you have to remain tax resident?

Steve - forget private hospitals in Singapore for women's plumbing. In my wifes experience NUH or KKH are the only options.

Yes think so, in such situation likely I will need to repatriate anyway. I have paid my fair share of taxes in Aus in the past. It's not an ideal fallback so definitely a risk I hope will not come back to bite me.
I seem to recall a rule like "resident for 5 of last 10 years" or something. I'm sure it can be found.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 5:33 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Beeroclock wrote:

I seem to recall a rule like "resident for 5 of last 10 years" or something. I'm sure it can be found.
I better look into ....

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 9:30 pm

PNGMK wrote:There doesn't seem to be an affordable option otherwise.
Bingo! Health insurance for my wife and I when we moved back was in excess of $1300 per month with a $5000 deductible. Little wonder there are so many uninsured amongst the working poor.

Even my expat insurance was more expensive if I included US coverage in it... $2000 more per year just to have covered while I visited home.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:25 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Bingo! Health insurance for my wife and I when we moved back was in excess of $1300 per month with a $5000 deductible. Little wonder there are so many uninsured amongst the working poor.

Even my expat insurance was more expensive if I included US coverage in it... $2000 more per year just to have covered while I visited home.
From what I remember you had a GlobalHealth insurance so to better illustrate the problem you should say, it comes in two basic flavors: 1st world-wide and 2nd world-wide, North America exclusive. No wonder why after reading your earlier post.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:48 pm

x9200 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

From what I remember you had a GlobalHealth insurance so to better illustrate the problem you should say, it comes in two basic flavors: 1st world-wide and 2nd world-wide, North America exclusive. No wonder why after reading your earlier post.
Yes, exactly... and although the US coverage policy did allow for medical repatriation in case of cancer or other very serious illness, I was still limited to a maximum of three calendar weeks in the US. The exception was when I transferred back... the policy remained in effect through its expiration date.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:49 pm

I was interested in a sleep study. Quoted $850 for consultation and the study itself $9ooo. USD. It is $1000 for each hour of sleep :o.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 3:02 am

earthfriendly wrote:I was interested in a sleep study. Quoted $850 for consultation and the study itself $9ooo. USD. It is $1000 for each hour of sleep :o.
That would probably keep me awake!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 3:18 am

Which would defeats the study and then I will have to go back for a second study :P .

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 9:28 am

I think the mid to upper end of the system in Singapore is pretty good. But, do get your own insurance if your employer's sucks. Insurance is worse than the US for what they do and don't cover (local standard insurance anyways).

What I think is much, much worse is the low-end (the docs are useless) and what I would call "public health" - community education, support services, etc etc. But I suppose it's loads better than anywhere else in SE Asia.

I can't imagine there's any hope for the American system. It's beyond broken.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 30 Aug 2014 1:36 pm

A related article on Bloomberg about how expensive medical in the US is:

http://go.bloomberg.com/market-now/2014 ... doctor-95/

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 30 Aug 2014 9:03 pm

Wd40 wrote:A related article on Bloomberg about how expensive medical in the US is:
---

'If I lived in France and was covered by their national insurance program, I wouldn’t even be getting a 72 euro bill. I would pay nothing.'

Read: 'Nothing directly, but I'd be funding the hospital via up to say 100% gross income tax etc.'

Typical foreigner with rose-tinted 'La vie en France' [The life in France/The French way] is so idyllic, why oh why can't we imitate just one side, but not the flipside, of this thing they do that I adore...

Income tax, inc social security, up to 75%
19.6% VAT
Housing tax + annual wealth tax, etc etc etc...

Still sounds like a good deal?

p.s. Reminds me how half of Hollywood vowed to move to France is Bush got elected. How many went? Zero. :lol:

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:32 pm

JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:A related article on Bloomberg about how expensive medical in the US is:
---

'If I lived in France and was covered by their national insurance program, I wouldn’t even be getting a 72 euro bill. I would pay nothing.'

Read: 'Nothing directly, but I'd be funding the hospital via up to say 100% gross income tax etc.'

Typical foreigner with rose-tinted 'La vie en France' [The life in France/The French way] is so idyllic, why oh why can't we imitate just one side, but not the flipside, of this thing they do that I adore...

Income tax, inc social security, up to 75%
19.6% VAT
Housing tax + annual wealth tax, etc etc etc...

Still sounds like a good deal?

p.s. Reminds me how half of Hollywood vowed to move to France is Bush got elected. How many went? Zero. :lol:
Funnily enough quite a few people are prepared to share their pot and pay for health coverage like that.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 05 Oct 2014 10:44 am

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/womans-re ... 00959.html

The new tests can be done without going to the doctor, which saves both money and time. Most results are available in about four hours, which means that you could swing by a pharmacy and have a test done the day before a doctor's visit, and then the results would be available for the physician.

Quick tests that can be done at any time are already a total change, but the amount of data the company can get from a single drop of blood is amazing.

Blood samples have traditionally been used for one test, but if a follow-up was needed, another sample had to be drawn and sent out — making it less likely that someone would get care. The Theranos approach means the same drop can be used for dozens of different tests.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 05 Oct 2014 11:22 am

Barnsley wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Funnily enough quite a few people are prepared to share their pot and pay for health coverage like that.
Funny isn't it. As is this article... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nbeat.html

---

'Job cuts, rising debt and an economy flirting with recession... do these latest figures show John Lewis boss was RIGHT to call France 'hopeless and downbeat'?
New data shows French economy has stagnated and may be in recession
Growth has been stagnant this quarter after six months of flatlining
Country is also being governed by most unpopular leader in its history

John Lewis boss Andy Street has apologised for saying that in France 'nothing works and nobody cares', but the latest data seems to prove him right

While John Lewis boss Andy Street has backtracked on his claim that France is 'hopeless and downbeat', the latest economic data shows he may be right after all.

The country was branded the 'sick man of the world' yesterday after figures for September showed output fell for the fifth month in a row as businesses continued to shed jobs.

Analysts said it pointed towards another quarter of stagnation, following six months of zero growth between January and June.

John Lewis boss Andy Street was forced to apologise after saying that in France 'nothing works and worse, nobody cares about it', but some analyists have agreed with his outlook.

Chris Williamson, chief economist at Markit, said: ‘No longer just the sick man of Europe, France looks more like the sick man of the world.’

The ‘increasingly bloated’ public sector [employer of c50% of the population] ‘has masked the dismal performance of the private sector where businesses are struggling,’ he said.'

------------

I'd be inclined to go and buy some f-off huge château or vineyard, but it's value will be 25% of what it is now in ten years time... so I'll just watch and wait. Meanwhile a holiday cottage in Croatia or Greece might work; even the Greeks have more zest to get out of bed and make something of the day than the morose self-entitled stuck-up arrogant-puck French...