Singapore Expats

LTVP - possible to get written consent to work part time?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pinkdonut

LTVP - possible to get written consent to work part time?

Post by pinkdonut » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 9:39 pm

Anyone knows if it is possible for an LTVP holder to get written consent to work part time? The job doesn't pay enough to qualify me for an EP. TIA!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:07 pm

No - you'd have to be a DP or LTVP+, then apply for a LOC to get a part time job.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:51 pm

Something perhaps worth checking into. Last time (some years back) I had an LTVP and could subsequently apply for permission to work, if I so wished.

Something changed in the intervening years. This time I applied for an LTVP and was automatically issued an LTVP+ (the + being a right to work). When I applied for the current LTVP I ticked a box on the application form 'Do you wish to be considered for an LTVP+?', and it was granted, as simple as that.

When was your LTVP issued? Is it convertible to an LTVP+?

p.s. My gut feel though, is even with an LTVP+ you need to go for a full-time job...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 11:49 pm

JR8 wrote:Something perhaps worth checking into. Last time (some years back) I had an LTVP and could subsequently apply for permission to work, if I so wished.

Something changed in the intervening years. This time I applied for an LTVP and was automatically issued an LTVP+ (the + being a right to work). When I applied for the current LTVP I ticked a box on the application form 'Do you wish to be considered for an LTVP+?', and it was granted, as simple as that.

When was your LTVP issued? Is it convertible to an LTVP+?

p.s. My gut feel though, is even with an LTVP+ you need to go for a full-time job...
You have (if I recall) an SC spouse. That's why you have an LTVP+.

IF OP has a SC spouse she/he should be able to get a LTVP+

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 6:53 am

Getting an LTVP+ is like getting a DP on an EP holders sponsorship. No, you cannot work part time. You still have to apply for, and have approved (not quite as easy as before) a Letter of Consent (LoC) in order to work. This means you can only work for a single employer. Or you can apply for and regular employment pass of whatever flavour if you can pass muster.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers