Singapore Expats

long wait

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
manuvarp

long wait

Post by manuvarp » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 4:26 pm

hello all,

quite new to this forum,

i am an indian male pr( aged 32) , who had held it for six years. married in 2012, and now ve son who is one yr. i work in oil and gas industry and been in the same firm for 8 years. my promotion and pay scale had been steady so far.

would seek further advice on the pr application of my wife nd son,

Wife: age around 28yrs,with master degree from a private univ in sg. worked in a local company for two years.( one of the largest conglomerate) quit work for pregnancy. she went to india for pregnancy owing to complications.

Pr applied- twice( 2012-feb- rejected after five months wait)
then applied in 2012 dec( so far pending) (around 2 years wait)

Ica called me for further question in sep 2013 , asking for more details on wife family background nd her absence in sg, during the interview. submitted the relevant documents.

So far my wife pr application on hold.

Son - Male, 2013 born. Applied for him in april 2014, and during that time submitted letter to check on wife pr status and was told will get result soon.

So far my wife and son pr still no clues.

When i went to apply for citizenship, was advised to apply in jan along with my son. I checked with them, whether can apply for my son who is in dp and was replied why not!! the first question, the officer asked me was why i am not applying for my son?

I told i am open to apply along with my son , no problem as well. They have asked to come in jan along with son's application.

All along, ica official can only ask why my wife pr pending for 2 years,

fellow members, pls advice how do i proceed next. ( have dropped emails, as well as went in person to check for the status).

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 4:56 pm

Interesting, they didnt ask your wife to also apply for citizenship. I would say apply for citizenship for all 3 in Jan, if you are really keen and then see how it goes.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 5:45 pm

I think he cannot apply for citizenship for his wife unless she has been a PR for at least 2 years.
Wd40 wrote:Interesting, they didnt ask your wife to also apply for citizenship. I would say apply for citizenship for all 3 in Jan, if you are really keen and then see how it goes.

manuvarp

Post by manuvarp » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 5:58 pm

Yeah , my wife cannot apply for citizenship right away. but the son/ daughter, is eligible once i become citizen.

tat could be reason that they wanted me nd son to apply together. or it cud be a test to check , how far we are interested in being in singapore.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 6:04 pm

I see, I get it.

I would say apply for citizenship for yourself and son, in that case. After that your wife should be able to get PR much more easily as a spouse of a Singaporean.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 6:20 pm

manuvarp wrote:Yeah , my wife cannot apply for citizenship right away. but the son/ daughter, is eligible once i become citizen..
So, how can you apply for citizenship along with your son? Not sure.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 6:34 pm

Your situation is weird. Although you applied too soon after the marriage, you wife was not new to Singapore given her masters from here. Again, she was working so should have been a good choice for PR.

So why was she rejected the first time, even after she studied here and was employed.

Other than bad luck, there must be a reason why her application is stuck.

If I were you, I would not apply for citizenship unless I was sure that the wife can get PR sooner or later. If she is not PR material, they why would they give you citizenship. And if you are citizen material, then why would they not give her PR.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 9:30 pm

Probably her family background, composition is the sticking point. If they feel she may have too much collateral family baggage it could cause her to be rejected. Returning back to India for her pregnancy didn't do her any favours either as Singapore is well equipped to handle most any pregnancy complication. That would have been the first red flag (and their queries).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 9:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Probably her family background, composition is the sticking point. If they feel she may have too much collateral family baggage it could cause her to be rejected. Returning back to India for her pregnancy didn't do her any favours either as Singapore is well equipped to handle most any pregnancy complication. That would have been the first red flag (and their queries).
Wouldn't you need support of family members with experience to take care during delivery? At max they will allow to bring her family members on visit visa that can be extended to 2 months. Whereas US, AU and UK allow people to bring their parents for 6 months on tourist visa.

Also no insurance for pregnancy, in case of complications the costs could go upto 50K SGD.

I would say sensible decision that they delivered their baby in their home country, in a friendly environment where doctors have much more experience and costs are never a concern. That's exactly what we did, and if that is the reason why we are denied PR, then no regrets, if were to make the decision again, our decision will be the same.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 9:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Probably her family background, composition is the sticking point. If they feel she may have too much collateral family baggage it could cause her to be rejected. Returning back to India for her pregnancy didn't do her any favours either as Singapore is well equipped to handle most any pregnancy complication. That would have been the first red flag (and their queries).
Indian family compositions are very simple. 1 father, 1 month and a couple of siblings. I don't see how that can be sticking point. That is for our generation. I the previous generation, i.e. our parents used to have like 10-12 siblings :o

Its not the composition, my guess is they look at whether our parents and siblings are working or retired and dependent on us. Again, its a very poor way to judge whether our parents will actually want to come to Singapore. For the same reasons I mentioned regarding pregnancy(i.e costs) our parents will never ever want to spend their last days in Singapore.
Last edited by Wd40 on Fri, 03 Oct 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 9:59 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Wouldn't you need support of family members with experience to take care during delivery? At max they will allow to bring her family members on visit visa that can be extended to 2 months. Whereas US, AU and UK allow people to bring their parents for 6 months on tourist visa.

Also no insurance for pregnancy, in case of complications the costs could go upto 50K SGD.

I would say sensible decision that they delivered their baby in their home country, in a friendly environment where doctors have much more experience and costs are never a concern. That's exactly what we did, and if that is the reason why we are denied PR, then no regrets, if were to make the decision again, our decision will be the same.
I understand your point, the arrogant ICA won't.

manuvarp

Post by manuvarp » Sat, 04 Oct 2014 12:29 am

Thank u all for the input!

Yes ours is a weird scenario, my wife family is well settled nd they are professionally independent. She has only sibling who is in medical profession and her mother as well. That was the prime reason she went back to India.

We had a mishap during first pregnancy with complications. So wen she was in family way again , she wanted to be certain it goes well.

Bad luck could be a factor too, nd racial make up too pitch in ..

Well at times, we can nvr guess wat ica upto!!

Oh , wen I went for follow up interview on wife pr, I submitted her family details thoroughly along relevant certifications of her parents nd sibling. And my family is again independent one, while three of my extended family hold a pr here, nd a citizen too.