Singapore Expats

Hong Kong surprises itself with the exuberance of protests

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Hong Kong surprises itself with the exuberance of protests

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:09 am

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... ing-police

Apparently this is something rare in HK and the Hang Seng index is crashing today.

Hong Kong's loss Singapore's gain?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:22 am

Too early to tell. I doubt it though, it'll probably just depress markets everywhere for a while and kill off the spirit of a great city.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:34 am

I think it will largely depend on how the Chinese government reacts.

Tianamen round 2 would be devastating. Ignoring the protests and seeing them peter out (not suggesting they will or won't) - little will change. Greater political freedom then currently what's on offer long-term boost for Hong Kong.

(post 100!)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:34 am

zzm9980 wrote:Too early to tell. I doubt it though, it'll probably just depress markets everywhere for a while and kill off the spirit of a great city.
And, Taiwan will see that Beijing is not to be trusted... any moves toward reconciliation will be thwarted as the Taiwanese see that their own democratic institutions will be undermined, just as the Communists are doing in Hong Kong.

Sad day... and proof that the Chinese government continues to be little more than a corrupt dictatorship.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 29 Sep 2014 5:50 pm

This is what happens when you start off promising something, then take it away. Not sure how the Chinese government thought something like this COULDN'T happen but it livens up my trip next week anyhow.... :wink:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 9:30 am

Looking at the world today, it definitely seems like I need to urgently requalify myself from banking to defense industry - my IT skills will be more in demand over there very soon.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:30 am

I figure the Govt in Beijing will just let this run its course.

Have read a few postings on this saying Hong Kongers should accept that they are Chinese and stop moaning.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:56 am

Barnsley wrote: Have read a few postings on this saying Hong Kongers should accept that they are Chinese and stop moaning.

NEVER goin' to happen.

With all that has happened in HK the past couple of decades the locals feel more distant from the Mainland than perhaps even they did before the Handover. I mean culturally and in the way attitudes are different still.

You know, I was there a month or two back and looking for a bottle of Lucozade just as a thirst quencher. No stock, there was a run on it and the Chinese had taken the lot......from that supermarket and those around about it. Everybody knows about the 'Milk Powder" issue but this is replicated in more and more product, some you wouldn't even think of, and it has added to the distance between the two locations.

Personally, the government a commitment and it should stick with it. It is ironic, however, that it was Deng's idea in the first place.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 5:49 pm

Totally agree Scooby. I work with a number of Hong Kongers is this is something that goes very deep. A number of them also have spent a lot of time outside of Hong Kong in Canada, Australia, the US and have strong ideas about openness and democracy. We shall see...

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Wed, 01 Oct 2014 9:21 pm

No wonder HK wants nothing to do with the Mainland...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/o ... ity-checks

=D>

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 2:57 pm

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 4:42 pm

I bet all these "investors" will urinate their pants hundreds of times before they agree on sanctions against China, if it comes to that in case China violently ends HK protests. Major banks will be squealing for peaceful dialog most of all. But maybe some jobs will return from HK and China back to Singapore...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 5:38 pm

I hope nothing ever untoward happens to my favorite city in Asia. I've always felt happy there. I hope they can find some amicable solution together.
HK needs the mainland and china needs HK, symbiosis is key.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 5:57 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I hope nothing ever untoward happens to my favorite city in Asia. I've always felt happy there. I hope they can find some amicable solution together.
HK needs the mainland and china needs HK, symbiosis is key.
I am not sure how both sides can come out of this with a win.

During its time when it was "not part of China" then Hong Kong has evolved slightly differently, hence the two sides really are coming from two different direction.

Much like the different generations of emigrees from China to various parts of the world , depending on the era you or your ancestors left China you will have a different perspective on things.

Thus one Chinese shoe really doesnt fit all.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 9:07 am

It doesn't look good. The leader says unconditional "no" to all protesters' demands. No compromise, nothing. Insulting a good 100 thousand people (add those who didn't go out to protest, but feel the same - it may be even millions) is very explosive thing. Even Putin didn't do it last year in Moscow.

Protesters need to be given something, otherwise it will look like they went out in vain, which is psychologically unbearable to most. Something may be at least promise, but not just "no, and that is all".