Singapore Expats

Will current employer be notified of new EP application?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
IamGroot

Will current employer be notified of new EP application?

Post by IamGroot » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 1:23 am

SITUATION
Hey guys, I'm currently on an EP with Company A and recently got offered a new job at another Company B.

Given the current climate on talent here, I don't want to risk losing a good job (Company A) for a better job (Company B) if this new EP gets rejected. I'm happy to stay on at my current job if it gets rejected but don't want the word to go out and I certainly don't want to destroy any good relationships that I have with my current employer.

QUESTION
Will my current employer (Company A) be notified when my new employer (Company B) applies for an EP?

SCENARIO A
Tender resignation, serve 1 month's notice at Company A --> Company B applies new EP --> Take my chances at the MBS roulette table

OR

SCENARIO B
Company B applies new EP --> New EP approved --> Tender resignation, serve 1 month's notice at Company A

IamGroot

Post by IamGroot » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 1:26 am

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Oh yeah, I've made an appointment with ICA for a PR application (about time, been here for 7 years) in April 2015. Will switching to a new job jeopardize anything in particular?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 4:38 am

SMS can reply, but from what I recall they are not notified. However, if they actually query your FIN on MOM's EP website there is some hint that you're applying for a new one.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 6:56 am

^^ Exactly. Old employer will only know IF they do a regular check on the MOM EPOL site with the employer's FIN number. If there is an application there it will tell them that it's pending or approved, but will not give the potential new employer's details.

A good HR practice is at least once a month have an HR exec go on line to see which of their employees are looking to move (applications pending). Then if you are over quota or need to downsize, you know where to chop first.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 10:46 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:^^ Exactly. Old employer will only know IF they do a regular check on the MOM EPOL site with the employer's FIN number. If there is an application there it will tell them that it's pending or approved, but will not give the potential new employer's details.

A good HR practice is at least once a month have an HR exec go on line to see which of their employees are looking to move (applications pending). Then if you are over quota or need to downsize, you know where to chop first.
This works for a SME with few employees. But companies with headcount in hundreds or thousands are not going to bother :P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 11:20 am

How many employers in Singapore have headcounts in the hundreds of thousands? :P You are supposed to use the space behind your eyes before you use your fingers. Additionally, HR departments would be scaled to the same size dependent on the headcounts wouldn't you think? Oh, that was too obvious, right! :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 11:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How many employers in Singapore have headcounts in the hundreds of thousands? :P You are supposed to use the space behind your eyes before you use your fingers. Additionally, HR departments would be scaled to the same size dependent on the headcounts wouldn't you think? Oh, that was too obvious, right! :roll:
I didnt say hundreds of thousands. I said hundreds and thousands. Plenty of companies with 100-500 staff strength and it doesnt mean just because they have 100-500 staff they will increase the HR headcount proportionately. There is something known as economies of scale. 10 people company 1 HR, 25 also 1 HR, 100 may be 2 HR, 200 may be 3 HR and 500 may be 8.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 11:34 am

I HR Manage a company of 200+ with just myself and a single HR exec. No problems. In fact I could handle up to 3 or 4 hundred with just the two of us. But if I had 400 I'd like to have one additional admin assistant so as to not keep me working all day every day. (how would I be able to spend so much time on the board otherwise! You do realize I'm working full time right? :cool:

singaporeflyer

Re: Will current employer be notified of new EP application?

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 11:39 am

IamGroot wrote:SITUATION
Hey guys, I'm currently on an EP with Company A and recently got offered a new job at another Company B.

Given the current climate on talent here, I don't want to risk losing a good job (Company A) for a better job (Company B) if this new EP gets rejected. I'm happy to stay on at my current job if it gets rejected but don't want the word to go out and I certainly don't want to destroy any good relationships that I have with my current employer.

QUESTION
Will my current employer (Company A) be notified when my new employer (Company B) applies for an EP?

SCENARIO A
Tender resignation, serve 1 month's notice at Company A --> Company B applies new EP --> Take my chances at the MBS roulette table

OR

SCENARIO B
Company B applies new EP --> New EP approved --> Tender resignation, serve 1 month's notice at Company A
It is always good to resign only after your EP by the new company is approved.

IamGroot

Post by IamGroot » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 2:38 pm

Thanks for the replies people. Anyone else here able to shed some light on whether switching jobs before the PR appointment date will affect the application in any way? I recall seeing a section that requires company to state achievements of that particular individual at current company. Don't think i will have much to say compared to the previous 3 years I have worked at my current company.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 3:19 pm

IamGroot wrote:Thanks for the replies people. Anyone else here able to shed some light on whether switching jobs before the PR appointment date will affect the application in any way? I recall seeing a section that requires company to state achievements of that particular individual at current company. Don't think i will have much to say compared to the previous 3 years I have worked at my current company.
Switching jobs will surely not be seen positively, unless the new job shows a big change in your role, duties, salary etc.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 02 Oct 2014 4:17 pm

IamGroot wrote:Thanks for the replies people. Anyone else here able to shed some light on whether switching jobs before the PR appointment date will affect the application in any way? I recall seeing a section that requires company to state achievements of that particular individual at current company. Don't think i will have much to say compared to the previous 3 years I have worked at my current company.
Bear in mind that you need to provide annexure A i.e. letter from employer as support for the PR application. Make sure your next company is willing to support your PR application.

If your new company is same sector and similar profile/brand, I doubt there will be much impact. But if say you are moving from Finance to something that is more desirable for Singapore, it might be positive, who knows.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 03 Oct 2014 1:43 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: Switching jobs will surely not be seen positively, unless the new job shows a big change in your role, duties, salary etc.
years ago, switching jobs meant your PR application is considered cancelled and if you submit a different employer with approval, ICA will reject the Approval

not sure what the drill is now

FYI, to WD40 ..