Singapore Expats

www.jobsbank only for Citizens ?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

www.jobsbank only for Citizens ?

Post by martincymru » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 9:36 am

"We regret to inform you that access to Individual Portal is for Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents. Please click here to be redirected to Jobs Bank"

Someone please explain the logic that someone on an EP cannot apply for a job listed on this website.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 9:42 am

The entire point of the site is to be a clearing house of jobs so that locals have first crack before foreigners. In fact, an EP is not supposed to be approved unless a specific position was on Jobsbank for at least 14 days without suitable candidates.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 9:51 am

It is a government's initiative for locals-first policy. Sucks to you, but it is their intention.

Wait for 30 days later and try to apply again. That's when the window period for locals-first advertising via Jobsbank is over.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:08 am

the lynx wrote:It is a government's initiative for locals-first policy. Sucks to you, but it is their intention.

Wait for 30 days later and try to apply again. That's when the window period for locals-first advertising via Jobsbank is over.
Or show some ang-mo initiative, call the employer, get put through to the hiring manager, and ask him/her you should send your resume to.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:10 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:It is a government's initiative for locals-first policy. Sucks to you, but it is their intention.

Or show some ang-mo initiative, call the employer, get put through to the hiring manager, and ask him/her you should send your resume to.
It still has to be posted long enough on jobs bank or they won't approve the EP though

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:50 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:

It still has to be posted long enough on jobs bank or they won't approve the EP though
^ +1

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:57 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Or show some ang-mo initiative, call the employer, get put through to the hiring manager, and ask him/her you should send your resume to.
For an employer one might imagine that can be navigated. If I were hiring manager I'd pay attention to a candidate who employed 'outside the mainstream' initiative. I'm not differentiating between FT/Local, just in terms of any candidate that uses initiative.

---

Something similar was raised in a workshop I attended c2000, at an outplacement agency. I described it here, but can't find that topic. There were maybe 12 of us in a room plus the facilitator. I think the workshop was titled 'How to get that meeting' or similar.

The facilitator passed around a copy of the FT, Economist and so on, and asked us to flick through and highlight any job-ads that were of interest to us. IIRC these were ads placed by the employer, or an agency where the employer was identifiable.

Rather than 'Send your resume to:' as most stated, he telephoned them instead. This was all done discreetly via a speaker-phone, so we could hear the conversation. When he got through to the specific hiring manager, he made reference to the job ad, introduced himself briefly and asked 'What is it that you're really looking for, what's going to make the difference?'. I.e. the published ad only gives a rather generic, partial summary of what is sought, you know 'Must be a team-player' and similar corporate drone-like BS.

And there you were, the hiring manager usually giving you the whole unwritten job-specs. 'The candidate can expect to be travelling two days a week, their business unit is largely based in [XYZ other country] etc*a dozen. It was quite amazing really in that:

- If you have the balls, the information is there to get
- How different the verbal job-spec can be from the published one
- Some of the nuanced 'this really might swing the scales for us' skills or experience that they'll tell you, but only if you speak to them.
- You thus have introduced yourself personally to the decision maker, shown professionalism by getting right to the point, and out-of-the-box initiative, and agreed that you will be sending him your resume by return.

Some of the hiring managers were not willing to discuss the roles, beyond what was in their ad, maybe 2/10. The others seemed only to happy to. You can maybe imagine, sitting around that table, first you smile, then you put your hand in front of your mouth and stifle a surreptitious laugh, a tear rolls down your cheek as you grimace - 'This is crazy and audacious!'.

Amazing. A bit like going to a magic show, or watching a illusionist. Sort of: 'That shouldn't be possible but he just did it almost effortlessly, as if it were a perfectly natural thing to do!' :o

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:12 am

^ This is very true. Jobs are posted to make you aware of them, but going through the normal channels won't get you anywhere.

Once I applied for a role I found that I was extremely and uniquely qualified for. Filled out the online job post, and emailed it in with a very detailed cover letter. Nothing for two weeks. Reached out via a friend of friend in that company's HR, and had a recruiter on the phone the next day. Within two weeks, I had met with everyone I had needed to including the C-level of that organization. Going through normal channels I'd be lucky if that could have happened. People need initiative.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:08 pm

Fully agree. In fact, the jobsbank has contact details of the employer in the ads. If you are smart enough and really need a job, you would track the jobsbank and as soon as the 14 days are up, contact the employer so that you are the first FT to apply for the job. If you are the perfect fit, the employer might actually consider you instead of going through the whole process of posting ads in other channels and contacting head hunters.

In my experience with the jobsbank, for the core finance jobs, I see lots of Singaporean applicants, but for IT jobs there are really very few. So there is hope after all :D

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 3:29 pm

Gaming the system :)

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 5:43 pm

Yes, I saw the advertiser details hence I applied via other means.

I was just surprised that the website did not state "EP's need not apply" before you actually go to the trouble of logging in etc. with your Fin and Singpass.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 26 Sep 2014 8:48 am

It has gone beyond the whole job site as well. MAS is now approaching big banks and financial institution and telling them that they need to start placing more Singaporeans (not PRs) at senior positions.

A few days ago, I saw on the Strait Times about more Singaporeans are at senior positions in banks. Its all a smoke screen since MAS is behind all this...

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 26 Sep 2014 9:18 am

I was just starting to think that it will add value on becoming PR. Was I wrong?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 26 Sep 2014 9:49 am

Girl_Next_Door wrote:It has gone beyond the whole job site as well. MAS is now approaching big banks and financial institution and telling them that they need to start placing more Singaporeans (not PRs) at senior positions.
I wonder if MAS have surveyed why these employers are not already doing so. After all hiring locals is much cheaper than hiring FT, so there must be a compelling reason.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Fri, 26 Sep 2014 9:58 am

Sergei82 wrote:I was just starting to think that it will add value on becoming PR. Was I wrong?
To change a job, yes. To be top management in a bank/FI, I would say it would be a lot harder.
JR8 wrote: I wonder if MAS have surveyed why these employers are not already doing so. After all hiring locals is much cheaper than hiring FT, so there must be a compelling reason.
Do you think they don't already know?