Singapore Expats

NS deferment

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
ozeurasian

NS deferment

Post by ozeurasian » Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:34 pm

Sigh, still no word from MS, could really use his input.

My wife contacted CMPB and wanted to speak to a particular person but that person is not around, so she spoke to a fellow department colleague.

After some questions regarding our application for deferment and its rejection, my wife was told actual reasons can not be disclosed but simply put we did not meet their requirements.

Question 1 : is it wise to question them??

Then, my wife was further informed that even if we re-submitted appeal letters to them they will not be approved and deferment not granted.

That really broke my wife's heart, spirit and shattered her being. So much so, she felt son drain.

Question 2 : ultimately, say my son goes back to serve NS, do they expect my son to renounce his Australian citizenship?? Can he serve and still retain OZ passport and citizenship??

Question 3 : my son suffers from asthma, what are his chances of failing medical??

Please share your opinion and thoughts on these questions my fellow gurus.
Thank you for past comments and input. Really insightful.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: NS deferment

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:23 pm

ozeurasian wrote:Sigh, still no word from MS, could really use his input.

My wife contacted CMPB and wanted to speak to a particular person but that person is not around, so she spoke to a fellow department colleague.

After some questions regarding our application for deferment and its rejection, my wife was told actual reasons can not be disclosed but simply put we did not meet their requirements.

That was expected.

Question 1 : is it wise to question them??

Then, my wife was further informed that even if we re-submitted appeal letters to them they will not be approved and deferment not granted.

Also expected.

That really broke my wife's heart, spirit and shattered her being. So much so, she felt son drain.

Question 2 : ultimately, say my son goes back to serve NS, do they expect my son to renounce his Australian citizenship?? Can he serve and still retain OZ passport and citizenship??

Yes, he has until 21 to renounce one or the other, but he cannot renounce Singapore Citizenship until he has completed his NS.
Question 3 : my son suffers from asthma, what are his chances of failing medical??

Slim to none. He will be given a desk job in all probability. There are different fitness levels dependent on the pre-physicals and medical histories.

Please share your opinion and thoughts on these questions my fellow gurus.
Thank you for past comments and input. Really insightful.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 6:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ozeurasian wrote: Question 3 : my son suffers from asthma, what are his chances of failing medical??

Slim to none. He will be given a desk job in all probability. There are different fitness levels dependent on the pre-physicals and medical histories.
interesting, that hope of failing medical

why didn't somebody suggest the 'gay' card? :D

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 8:09 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/draft-dodgi ... ean-style/
Authorities regularly hunt for draft-dodgers. To win exemptions, some turn to overeating or fasting. Some have doctored X-rays or had surgery to damage ligaments or knee cartilage. A few have even feigned insanity.
That's brilliant. Have surgery to damage your knees.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 8:44 am

The gay card was always a good card to play in the US during the VN/Selective Service era. That or a CO.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 9:31 am

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ozeurasian wrote: Question 3 : my son suffers from asthma, what are his chances of failing medical??

interesting, that hope of failing medical

why didn't somebody suggest the 'gay' card? :D
Gay card won't save him. It's a criminal offense though and he will be drafted AND locked up if found doing it.

As for the OP.... as I said I don't think MS is checking in too often now. Re-read his threads - asking him specific questions is one thing that drove him away.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:41 am

PNGMK wrote:
ozeurasian wrote: why didn't somebody suggest the 'gay' card? :D
Gay card won't save him. It's a criminal offense though and he will be drafted AND locked up if found doing it.

As for the OP.... as I said I don't think MS is checking in too often now. Re-read his threads - asking him specific questions is one thing that drove him away.
Being gay is NOT a criminal offence. Practising certain elements of it are.

Imagine all the politicians, 'White Horses', VVVIPs, that-way-inclined tourists etc they'd have to jail if simply being gay were a crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_culture_in_Singapore

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:52 am

JR8 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Imagine all the politicians, 'White Horses', VVVIPs, that-way-inclined tourists etc they'd have to jail if simply being gay were a crime.

Even the big boss was accepting of homosexuality:
http://mothership.sg/2014/09/91-quotes- ... -hate-him/

#44 and #45

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 1:27 pm

JR8 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Yeah yeah - I just didn't word it accurately. For all I know the military code of conduct is even harsher.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 7:00 pm

ozeurasian wrote:...my son suffers from asthma, what are his chances of failing medical??
0 chance even if he has EIB...

many singaporean boys suffer from asthma. MINDEF has now put in place a more stringent safety culture to make sure NSFs do not suffer life threatening attacks.

he should and would have to declare it (and any other known medical conditions) during his physical exam so that his superiors can take note of it.

he will likely be sent for a further medical review (pulmonary function tests/etc) and classified accordingly - likely PES B/C... unless the symptoms are difficult to treat.

---

24 months of NS is not the end of the world. let your son make his own informed choice. even without the scientist, read through the old posts in this sub-forum carefully and you will be able to give him the info he needs to make that choice.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 8:33 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Even the big boss was accepting of homosexuality:
{moderated for the good of the board}

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:56 pm

Come on JR8. Take that potential hand grenade down. Her business, not ours. I'll come visit you in IMH.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 8:39 am

Fair enough. I am subconsciously experiencing the 'laissez-faire'/relaxedness that seems to occur when the exit-door looms into view.

Like 'demob-happiness' though, it can prove detrimental to ones longevity.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:08 am

JR8 wrote:Fair enough. I am subconsciously experiencing the 'laissez-faire'/relaxedness that seems to occur when the exit-door looms into view.

Like 'demob-happiness' though, it can prove detrimental to ones longevity.
Yep, been there before....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 12:06 pm

We always called it 'channel fever' after a two month hitch offshore. :lol:

Trail horses have that problem as well when they know they are heading BACK to the barn. :cool: