Singapore Expats

Do Singaporean Yoga studios trade services in-kind?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
russch

Do Singaporean Yoga studios trade services in-kind?

Post by russch » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:25 am

Many Yoga studios around here (in the US) have volunteer programs that help them offset staffing costs and make it possible for folks with less disposable income to enjoy free classes...

Examples: "Help clean up the studio after class 3 times and you get free class pass" or "Be an assistant during X classes a month and we'll give you free unlimited yoga".

Does anyone know if studios in Singapore do the same thing? Considering a move to Singapore, and my wife would be a DP and therefore unable to work.

Result: Stir. Crazy. Time.

However, this sort of arrangement would give her a "get out of the house job" with a bonus of discounted yoga - we just looked at average monthly costs of some of these places and were pretty amazed at what we saw. (She also administers programs like this right now for "her" studio here and loves it - a home away from home)

Thanks in advance!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 7:08 am

1. DP allows to work. She needs to find a job and apply for letter of consent (LoC).
2. Cleaning a yoga studio and being paid for this in-kind is a job like any other so she would need a work permit to do this. If she just do the job receiving nothing tangible in exchange she still needs a permit (another LoC).

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 7:11 am

yoga is free in the ramakrishna ashram like it always should be

http://ramakrishna.org.sg/rkmsg/index.p ... ties/yoga/
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 9:15 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:yoga is free in the ramakrishna ashram like it always should be

Open to adults only. 13 years and above. :shock:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

DavidMikky

Post by DavidMikky » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 5:09 pm

I want some friends I can go level with or take some ops. Hard to find people on during my play time because I'm in the USA. I am currently Protopharma but I can switch on my own to whichever faction. I prefer anti-city.
You can easily check out our high quality pass4sure which prepares you well for the real Boston Conservatory.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 5:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:yoga is free in the ramakrishna ashram like it always should be

Open to adults only. 13 years and above. :shock:
wonder why the mission is limiting it to adults

In Sri Lanka or India, they have children attending classes in RK and Saradha home ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 5:26 pm

x9200 wrote:1. DP allows to work. She needs to find a job and apply for letter of consent (LoC).
2. Cleaning a yoga studio and being paid for this in-kind is a job like any other so she would need a work permit to do this. If she just do the job receiving nothing tangible in exchange she still needs a permit (another LoC).

and the commercial Yoga centers here charge a bomb, and are minting money, like the Spas

I don't think any Yoga centers will want to have 'volunteers' when they can charge the volunteers too ;) ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 6:52 pm

DavidMikky wrote:I want some friends I can go level with or take some ops. Hard to find people on during my play time because I'm in the USA. I am currently Protopharma but I can switch on my own to whichever faction. I prefer anti-city.
How is the weather in Islamabad?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 9:44 pm

x9200 wrote:1. DP allows to work. She needs to find a job and apply for letter of consent (LoC).
That's a rather all encompassing interpretation of work permit requirements. What would the company file on an IR8A for this in kind employee? How would the company record this "expense" on their books when no money has been expended?

What would the "employee" record on their tax form for income when zero money has been received?

Are you suggesting that "pretend" amounts of money be generated in order to be reported? I think that attending a yoga class, then sweeping/mopping the floor in exchange is flying so far under that radar as to render the entire topic moot.

However, I agree with another poster... good luck in finding a studio willing to do this... business models are generally based on accounting for all expense items, including paid cleaning services.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:34 pm

Why to consider what form the company has to file for the tax purposes if she does not have any work permit? It is irrelevant. Whatever is the view of the value exchange handle we may want to consider she would need a permit to do this job. Formally at least. This where MOM may get its focus. IRAS has nothing to do with it at this stage.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:10 pm

Barter income, the fair market value of, is taxable and is considered employment income, regardless of the actual type of compensation received (e.g., the value of the yoga being bartered for cleaning services). Therefore, work pass would still be required. (Benefits in kind)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 23 Sep 2014 1:29 am

x9200 wrote:Why to consider what form the company has to file for the tax purposes if she does not have any work permit? It is irrelevant. Whatever is the view of the value exchange handle we may want to consider she would need a permit to do this job. Formally at least. This where MOM may get its focus. IRAS has nothing to do with it at this stage.
IRAS has everything to do with it "at this stage". If the person is not taking potential economic benefit from a Singaporean, then where is the need for a work permit?

And realistically, your stance is that they are employed. How do you propose to report that employment? What remuneration? You are glossing over the crux of the matter.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 23 Sep 2014 6:47 am

So why LoC is required even for a voluntary job? Not only is required but IIRC there are restrictions based on the type of job applied. They (MOM/ICA) want to have the say apparently and this is for them to decide. This person will take a position that can potentially be taken by a citizen or PR. Whether this is the case it is again to be determined by the authorities and not by a foreigner coming to the country.

To the point of the income. This person does the job and is paid by providing her with an access to the facilities/courses. It is pretty straight forward to find out the monetary value. The regular customers pay real money for this. You seem to suggest that as long as somebody is not paid with money it is perfectly fine for any revenue authority (and the immigration) to turn blind eye to this kind of jobs.