Singapore Expats

Singapore Citizenship - PR renewal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:28 am

I'm curious about his income and profession. If he's really Indian and was approved for citizenship I would guess they're at a 'sufficient' level that things like gaming to get a subsidized HDB weren't really factors.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:30 am

the lynx wrote:One thing for sure, ICA would be wondering why this applicant haven't taken up the citizenship yet, but applied for REP instead. That is one question they will start working on before making decision.
Precisely. Which is why the OP needs to clarify why they no longer want citizenship. Got to be a veeery good reason, as the consequences, which ever way, are probably major, and something of a path of no return.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:33 am

zzm9980 wrote:I'm curious about his income and profession. If he's really Indian and was approved for citizenship I would guess they're at a 'sufficient' level that things like gaming to get a subsidized HDB weren't really factors.
No, not really. For Indians, incomes dont matter anymore. Some high flyers have been rejected for PR in the past. Yet some really low earners have been given PR. In case of citizenship I think the criteria is anything but salary.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:35 am

^^ :o

It's one of those rare occasions, but I actually agree with Wd40 on this one.

But I do think his REP may be impacted. If not this one, the next for sure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:44 am

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:I'm curious about his income and profession. If he's really Indian and was approved for citizenship I would guess they're at a 'sufficient' level that things like gaming to get a subsidized HDB weren't really factors.
No, not really. For Indians, incomes dont matter anymore. Some high flyers have been rejected for PR in the past. Yet some really low earners have been given PR. In case of citizenship I think the criteria is anything but salary.
I'm really curious what the qualifiers are then. Apparently ICA's due diligence as to if he'd be a "good citizen" failed then if he is not even here and re-thinking if he wants it.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:52 am

He didn't say he is not here. He is just rethinking due to "personal constraints". Very typical of some Indians to have "family constraints" or "personal constraints" when it comes to keeping their word. :lol:

What due diligence can ICA do? He probably looked like a good match. A south Indian Tamil probably from a rural place probably looked like someone who will set roots here and assimilate compared to a highflyer from Mumbai or Delhi. He probably has a son who will be cannon fodder. Now he changed his mind like lots of Indian PRs do when their male children get close to their NS age.

bluetopinkorblue

Post by bluetopinkorblue » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:59 am

haha u crack me up...

"a south indian tamil from a rural place...as against a highflyer from mumbai or delhi..."

i dont want to comment on...lest start a southie-northie war here on a foreign forum...
have u been to london or ny or amsterdam where high flying northies are only cabbies or minicab drivers? southies know they can live better selling undergarments in their own country than wash foreign bottoms just to show up in their own homelands in a suit :P

oh..wait... i am a southie...
Wd40 wrote:He didn't say he is not here. He is just rethinking due to "personal constraints". Very typical of Indians to have "family constraints" or "personal constraints" when it comes to keeping their word. :lol:

What due diligence can ICA do? He probably looked like a good match. A south Indian Tamil probably from a rural place probably looked like someone who will set roots here and assimilate compared to a highflyer from Mumbai or Delhi. He probably has a son who will be cannon fodder. Now he changed his mind like lots of Indian PRs do when their male children get close to their NS age.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:05 pm

It wasnt a derogatory comment. There are 2 parts:
1)A Tamil will more likely assimilate here, I know Tamil families here who came recently but they have so many relatives here some more than a generation and spread across Singpapore and Malaysia.
2)A person from a rural place is more likely to make Singapore his home than someone from a big city because for someone going from say Madurai to Mumbai is same hardship and effort as Madurai to Singapore. He would rather come to Singapore and earn in dollars. But someone who already has a house in Mumbai, is unlikely to settledown in Singapore.

I would be surprised if ICA doesn't do these kind of analysis from the data they get about an applicant.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter

Post by midlet2013 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:12 pm

Gawd, ur so cynical. Its like everyone who is applying for PR/Citizenship is doing so bcus he is either he is desperate or is greedy for a hdb.

At the same time, the govt is deliberately rejecting high flyers in banking with basic undergrad degrees and experience that helps them earn more than other careers.

One of the reasons I would like to leave this place is bcus its full of people who think money is what defines oneself.

Even if you are right, I pity the way you think.

Wd40 wrote:He didn't say he is not here. He is just rethinking due to "personal constraints". Very typical of some Indians to have "family constraints" or "personal constraints" when it comes to keeping their word. :lol:

bluetopinkorblue

Post by bluetopinkorblue » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:14 pm

nah...i didnt take it personally...i am used to it now (been here long enough)

you are not wrong in saying what you just said...unfortunately, local indians majority of whom are from the southern indian states also want to disassociate themselves from south indians here on WP or EP as they fear backlash for the latter's behavior and how that could affect all tamil speakers among other singaporeans.

my personal opinion is that language keeps people closer than nationality. that is one of the reasons of the forum id :P

Wd40 wrote:It wasnt a derogatory comment. There are 2 parts:
1)A Tamil will more likely assimilate here, I know Tamil families here who came recently but they have so many relatives here some more than a generation and spread across Singpapore and Malaysia.
2)A person from a rural place is more likely to make Singapore his home than someone from a big city because for someone going from say Madurai to Mumbai is same hardship and effort as Madurai to Singapore. He would come to Singapore and earn in dollars. But someone who already has a house in Mumbai, is unlikely to settledown in Singapore.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:31 pm

jus to chime in .. around the Asian Economic crisis time, a few guys on PR were 'invited' to get SC.

when they refused or just acted like they never got the letter, their PR / REP renewal was rejected

Well, those were the times when REP was for 10 years, for I guess those guys had been here atleast for 10 years when they were invited

One guy I personally know, had to sell his HDB on the downturn, and send his kids back to India and switch to EP .. all because he declined SC

bluetopinkorblue Well, about those who get accepted, and then decide not to take it etc. ICA has no way to know who is true in their words

in A similar context, years ago, a friend applied for US Visa, and when she went for the interview she had done an amazing speech as to why she will never settle in US, and she will come back to Singapore, 100%

got her Visa, flew to LA, and within a month or so, petitioned for Green card.. Not US INS couldn't have predicted that right ? On the other hand, that establishes a trend so future applicants are screened tighter, and deserving applicants get junked at times

Like OP, future SCs will be looked with suspicion

midlet2013 There was an article a while ago, on how the current generation is feeling left out, as they are missing the gravy train of former years, buy a HDB, sell it for max profit, and then repeat it, so while working, buying and selling HDB made them a handsome profit, until the govt decided in the process, the 'traders' are pushing those of lower income out of the possibility of owning a house.

And few New Citizens do think a big benefit of a Pink IC is to get a house .. i.e profit when you give up your citizenship .. a form of hidden investment.

JR8, somewhere you asked why SGn are unhappy right ? the above is one reason, they can't profit out of HDB, is possibly one reason.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:36 pm

bluetopinkorblue wrote:..unfortunately, local indians majority of whom are from the southern indian states also want to disassociate themselves from south indians here on WP or EP as they fear backlash for the latter's behavior and how that could affect all tamil speakers among other singaporeans.
I know enough local Indians, and my 2 cents.

Local Indians, atleast few, were formerly looking at Indians on EP/WP with suspicion that they were out to steal jobs etc.

Including the times I had to go to MOM for submitting appeal for my colleagues etc, when EPs were processed in Lavender street, quite jovially a few indian officers (those who accept the forms/appeals etc) remarked that maybe the govt don't need Indians, or maybe the guy has made enough money so he should go back home..

years later, when I had to attend to MOM issues, the mood was "Singapore needs talent like the candidate.. " etc.

and same way, more than enough locals went out of the way to make friends with new arrivals, unlike before, and well, some were snobbed by the new arrivals, truth be told

As of now, I don't see that kind of fear of backlash etc, as you mention, or maybe I am moving in the wrong circles ;)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:36 pm

One of the reasons some Indians here get a hard time is that enough of them are gaming the system for immediate personal advantage.
midlet2013 wrote: One of the reasons I would like to leave this place is bcus its full of people who think money is what defines oneself.
As for example with the likes of... er, um, you! Who were granted your PR only 6 months ago! :roll:

thinking

Post by thinking » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:52 pm

ecureilx wrote:jus to chime in .. around the Asian Economic crisis time, a few guys on PR were 'invited' to get SC.

when they refused or just acted like they never got the letter, their PR / REP renewal was rejected

Well, those were the times when REP was for 10 years, for I guess those guys had been here atleast for 10 years when they were invited

One guy I personally know, had to sell his HDB on the downturn, and send his kids back to India and switch to EP .. all because he declined SC

bluetopinkorblue Well, about those who get accepted, and then decide not to take it etc. ICA has no way to know who is true in their words

in A similar context, years ago, a friend applied for US Visa, and when she went for the interview she had done an amazing speech as to why she will never settle in US, and she will come back to Singapore, 100%

got her Visa, flew to LA, and within a month or so, petitioned for Green card.. Not US INS couldn't have predicted that right ? On the other hand, that establishes a trend so future applicants are screened tighter, and deserving applicants get junked at times

Like OP, future SCs will be looked with suspicion

midlet2013 There was an article a while ago, on how the current generation is feeling left out, as they are missing the gravy train of former years, buy a HDB, sell it for max profit, and then repeat it, so while working, buying and selling HDB made them a handsome profit, until the govt decided in the process, the 'traders' are pushing those of lower income out of the possibility of owning a house.

And few New Citizens do think a big benefit of a Pink IC is to get a house .. i.e profit when you give up your citizenship .. a form of hidden investment.

JR8, somewhere you asked why SGn are unhappy right ? the above is one reason, they can't profit out of HDB, is possibly one reason.
Thnaks ecureilx
can you please advise on the REP renewal probability ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:58 pm

thinking wrote: Thnaks ecureilx
can you please advise on the REP renewal probability ?
I don't work for ICA, nor do I live my life on probabilities

My 2 cents ? expect your REP to be rejected, fair and square, unless you have asked ICA to extend the time for you to complete your formalities

or, expect ICA to issue a 1 year REP

Question, do you own a house here ? or other commitment to Singapore ?