Singapore Expats

Engagement Ring Insurance...

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
loopyshoe

Engagement Ring Insurance...

Post by loopyshoe » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 3:51 pm

Can anyone advise me on a good company to insure my engagement ring with. We located to Singapore a couple of months ago from the UK and as we're staying in a Serviced Apartment with very few of our own belongings we do not have any contents insurance.

Any recommendations would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 19 Jan 2011 7:48 pm

Usually you would add this into the 'high value/art' element of your household insurance, but clearly as you have none that is not an option. The SGn insurance market, and it's offerings are much less competitive than in the west (have a look at the options and cost for annual insurance as an example).

Even in Europe such a stand alone single insurance policy would be hard to do, and then very expensive. I reckon in SG you have no chance I'm afraid.

Better to 'self-insure', i.e. just be very careful and invest instead in domestic security.

Ell

Post by Ell » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 6:06 pm

Congratulations!

Try http://www.qreport.com.au - was given to me by my jeweller. I have also heard that Chubb is very good.

We use our home and contents insurance in Australia (GIO) which gives 30 days coverage for each trip anywhere in the world + coverage in A & NZ.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:33 pm

Can I clarify something? You are relying on insurance taken out in Australia to cover you while you live in Singapore?

pomelostudio

Post by pomelostudio » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 7:33 pm

I am also with q-report as well. they are pretty good, basically it is for theft, damage and lost all around the world ( I am with them just because of all the trips that I do). so I guess that covers singapore. can enquire them about further details.

taleske

Post by taleske » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 10:34 am

Did you find somewhere to insure your engagement ring?
I am in the same boat we just moved here and i need my engagement and wedding ring and other jewellery insured. We had it insured in Australia but it doesn't seem to be something people do here. It worries me a little as i would die if anything happened to my rings and we weren't insured.

Please let me know how you went

Thank you

pomelostudio

Post by pomelostudio » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 2:22 pm

actually, Q report although insured me, didn't allow me to renew as I am now based in Singapore not Australia.... so I am on the same boat with everyone else now... :(

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 06 Mar 2012 1:00 pm

I have checked, and there are no insurances available within Singapore. The home contents do cover it, but its expensive and it covers burgery at home (crime rates in Singapore is low, so doesn't make sense too). The insurance is probably more relevant when you are overseas (travel insurance coverage is not enough to cover if the ring is expensive) or when you are out and about.

If anyone has a suggestion, it will be great! I know that this is popular in US but no company in Singapore offers it.

:(

wickedom

Post by wickedom » Fri, 09 Mar 2012 2:46 pm

Singapore insurers do provide the cover. You can specifically list the ring with sum-insured in the policy on a world wide coverage, albeit this coverage is not stand-alone and is part of a home insurance.

taleske

Post by taleske » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 9:58 am

Hi wickedom
can you give me the name of an insurer you suggest to go through for this?
Thank you

fire28

Post by fire28 » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 5:18 pm

your jewellery is it very high value?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 5:44 pm

fire28 wrote:your jewellery is it very high value?
Does it really matter, three and a half years after the OP asked the question? Are you trying to sell insurance to them after all this time? :roll:
Be careful what you wish for

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:30 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
fire28 wrote:your jewellery is it very high value?
Does it really matter, three and a half years after the OP asked the question? Are you trying to sell insurance to them after all this time? :roll:
Fire28's next question will be "what's your address please?".

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:35 am

Duh, of course it is high value. Otherwise, OP wouldn't even bother paying more money to have it insured.