Singapore Expats

Singapore Citizenship - PR renewal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
thinking

Singapore Citizenship - PR renewal

Post by thinking » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 6:48 pm

Hello Gurus,

I had applied for Singapore citizenship and I have received the in principal approval letter. Now I am not in a position to complete all formalities due to personal constraints.

My PR (REP) is due for renewal in the next 4 months. Can you please suggest me if my PR (REP) renewal will be affected, if i do not take up the citizenship.

reinstated by moderator
Last edited by thinking on Mon, 22 Sep 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 7:51 pm

One can only hope. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

thinking

Post by thinking » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 9:04 pm

Thanks.
Any idea on the probability ? I have been in SG throughout in the prev 5 yrs and paid taxes. Appreciate if you could give me hints based on your experiences.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Singapore Citizenship - PR renewal

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 9:15 pm

thinking wrote:Hello Gurus,

I had applied for Singapore citizenship and I have received the in principal approval letter. Now I am not in a position to complete all formalities due to personal constraints.

My PR (REP) is due for renewal in the next 4 months. Can you please suggest me if my PR (REP) renewal will be affected, if i do not take up the citizenship.
So to summarize: you got citizenship, but cannot be bothered to complete the formalities, even though you have 4 months before your PR expiry to complete them? Well, I wouldn't blame them if the approval is withdrawn.

I don't think anyone can give you a probability, and even if - there are too many factors here, and the decision matrix of ICA is notoriously unknown.

Just get it done.

thinking

Post by thinking » Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:One can only hope. :-|
Thanks for your reply.
Is the hope inclined towards the positive side ? !

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 6:58 am

thinking wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:One can only hope. :-|
Thanks for your reply.
Is the hope inclined towards the positive side ? !
Positive absolutely for what is best, but probably not the angle you're hoping for.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 8:37 am

thinking wrote:Now I am not in a position to complete all formalities due to personal constraints.
It would help if you clarified this.

- you've changed your mind and no longer want citizenship?
- you're currently abroad and can't come back in time?
- ?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 8:46 am

JR8 wrote:
thinking wrote:Now I am not in a position to complete all formalities due to personal constraints.
It would help if you clarified this.

- you've changed your mind and no longer want citizenship?
- you're currently abroad and can't come back in time?
- ?
With a handle named "Thinking", hasn't he given it out already. On top of that he is an Indian. So 99.99% change of mind.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 9:19 am

Probably mommy won't allow it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 9:28 am

From the Indians I know, those PRs who convert to Citizenship, all of them applied for a new HDB immediately. Some had resale HDBs already and they sold it and got a new subsidized HDB. Its such short term motivations that prompt them to apply for citizenship.

I wonder what made the OP to "Think" after he got the citizenship approval.

bluetopinkorblue

Post by bluetopinkorblue » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 9:45 am

gosh wd40...you sure have a bad circle of friends...i pray you meet some good people in your life :P

Wd40 wrote:From the Indians I know, those PRs who convert to Citizenship, all of them applied for a new HDB immediately. Some had resale HDBs already and they sold it and got a new subsidized HDB. Its such short term motivations that prompt them to apply for citizenship.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 9:48 am

bluetopinkorblue wrote:gosh wd40...you sure have a bad circle of friends...i pray you meet some good people in your life :P

Wd40 wrote:From the Indians I know, those PRs who convert to Citizenship, all of them applied for a new HDB immediately. Some had resale HDBs already and they sold it and got a new subsidized HDB. Its such short term motivations that prompt them to apply for citizenship.

Not friends, lah. I just know them. Usually colleagues, friends of colleagues. Indians in my neighbourhood etc

Good people, amongst people who come to Singapore in search of money, very hard to find. There are plenty of good people back home.

bluetopinkorblue

Post by bluetopinkorblue » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 9:53 am

fair enough... no one talks about normal people...only people they find strange..
but in their defense, i dont see anything wrong in them trying to use the subsidies... imagine at least its the working crowd...i have seen people get a EU passport only for unemployment benefits for the elderly in the families.

the bottom line is, new citizens are vetted thoroughly (at least according to Mr. LKY) so there is nothing unusual or unexpected by government, they are doing...

Wd40 wrote:
bluetopinkorblue wrote:gosh wd40...you sure have a bad circle of friends...i pray you meet some good people in your life :P

Not friends, lah. I just know them. Usually colleagues, friends of colleagues. Indians in my neighbourhood etc

Good people who come to Singapore in search of money, very hard to find.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:03 am

thinking wrote:Hello Gurus,

I think your REP will be evaluated along the usual REP renewal criteria (job in Singapore, ties to Singapore). I don't think the SC question will come up. Now on your NEXT REP renewal it might.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:07 am

One thing for sure, ICA would be wondering why this applicant haven't taken up the citizenship yet, but applied for REP instead. That is one question they will start working on before making decision.