Singapore Expats

Retiring PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Retiring PR

Post by curiousgeorge » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 4:51 am

Just wondering about this...if you've been a PR here for a few years and hit retirement age, will ICA continue to renew the REP for retirees? Or is it case of convert to citizen or ship out when your workforce contributions cease? Does it make a difference how long you have been PR?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 8:49 am

It's a good question. One that I've been contemplating for some time as I'm already at retirement age. However, I currently have an employer who keep sweetening the pot to keep me on board until I'm 75. I really don't know the answer as of yet. I don't reckon it will matter as the last time I renewed my REP I was given one of the last 10 year renewals. The officer, at that time, told me I didn't need a job in order to renew my rep as I was already over the age of 55? So this leads me to believe that one should be safe. However, like everything else, all is subject to be overthrown as the governement here cannot be trusted to keep their word (based on technicalities) They always leave themselves wiggle-room so they have the upper hand and can change the rules at their leisure. But, I've been flying on that premise. I went 15 months, jobless when I renewed the last time (9 years ago - well before the 2011 GE) and that's when the officer at ICA told me that due to my age it wasn't necessary to have a job.

However, one codicil I should mention is the fact that I neglected to ask if that pertained to all PRs or only to PRs who, like me, have local family ties.

YMMV.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 8:56 am

There has been a minister (names escapes me, a woman) who mentioned about a year ago that PR's would/could keep PR on retirement.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 9:36 am

I missed that. Good to know. Thanks PNGMK. :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 12:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I missed that. Good to know. Thanks PNGMK. :)
I posted it on the forum... Grace Wu???

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 20 Sep 2014 2:21 pm

PNGMK wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I missed that. Good to know. Thanks PNGMK. :)
I posted it on the forum... Grace Wu???
Grace Fu you mean ??

well, a former RAF officer was on PR, when his REP came for renewal, it was rejected. previously He had it renewed when he was working and when he wasn't as well

he has no family ties here, and had been working for a while, ... and living on his pension post stop working

that he had done a lot of volunteer work fell on deaf ears, till he had to pull up some of his awards, and then some more, for ICA to give him a 10 Year REP

Minus family ties, ICA has tightened up the renewal, just FYI