Singapore Expats

Scotland

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mexikaner
Regular
Regular

Post by Mexikaner » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:29 am

Real time results on the referendum..

http://www.bbc.com/news/events/scotland-decides/results
"Lebe deinen Traum"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:39 am

Mexikaner wrote:Real time results on the referendum..

http://www.bbc.com/news/events/scotland-decides/results

FWIW I'm following it live (it auto-updates) here... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-map.html

I find the latter clearer than the BBC one.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:52 am

So what happens if they vote "No". Will the nationalists just keep bringing it up every few years until they win? Or is there some kind of clause preventing them from doing this again?

Something like this should really require a 2/3rds or at least 3/5ths majority anyway.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:57 am

zzm9980 wrote:So what happens if they vote "No". Will the nationalists just keep bringing it up every few years until they win? Or is there some kind of clause preventing them from doing this again?
Not that I'm aware of. They can vote as often as they like AFAIUI.
zzm9980 wrote:Something like this should really require a 2/3rds or at least 3/5ths majority anyway.
Yes probably. It should also disallow voting by 16 year olds!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:41 pm

So Glasgow wants independence and that's about it?

That's pretty much where it's headed....

p.s. Oh, and Dundee, but they're a bunch of fruitcakes* anyway :lol:

* Dundee's namesake cake being the most famous thing about it.
Last edited by JR8 on Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:52 pm

'Glasgow's voters celebrate'

p.s. /JK.
Though the pic is real, and from here...
http://onlinereportingslideshow.wordpress.com/
'Tackling The Growing Problem Of Under-Age Drinking In Glasgow'

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 3:16 pm

JR8 wrote: p.s. Oh, and Dundee, but they're a bunch of fruitcakes* anyway :lol:

You haven't quite noticed the point at which line not to cross yet, I see - my birthplace being an exception in a sea of considered opinion.

The world is in order, my GBPs are secured (for a little while, after a bit of a rebound this afternoon), my passport doesn't need sent back or burned on a Viking pyre and now is the time to try and glue back all the broken pieces from broken families and friendships - moving on is so hard to do.

Listening to David Cameron at lunchtime I really hope all parties stick to their pledges, not only for Scotland but now also for Wales, N.Ireland and England itself with their own devolved powers. DC must commit these powers to the other areas at the same time. No longer should Scots also vote on English matters, something I've never agreed with anyway, and only these reciprocal agreements can help mend the damage of the campaign.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 3:22 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
You haven't quite noticed the point at which line not to cross yet, I see - my birthplace being an exception in a sea of considered opinion.
Que? What 'line' mustn't I cross, and who is the arbiter of that? Joking about Dundee?

I nearly went to uni there, but am rather relieved I didn't, their politics appears eccentric.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 4:05 pm

JR8 wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
Que? What 'line' mustn't I cross, and who is the arbiter of that? Joking about Dundee?

I nearly went to uni there, but am rather relieved I didn't, their politics appears eccentric.

Oh I see, joking (and no, Dundee was not a "line"), well that's all right then but in amongst dozens of other posts it's boring and monotonous. Maybe you then want to then question why 45% of the population want separation?

Maybe you should ask the City of London about what "eccentric" looks like.

:devil:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 4:35 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Maybe you then want to then question why 45% of the population want separation?
- Because they carry a lot of hatred?
- So much so that they'd celebrate a pyrrhic victory, (if common sense hadn't prevailed)?
-Don't know, maybe you could enlighten me?

What do you think about Cameron's mooting an English parliament? I think it's great, no more Scottish politicians (Blair, Brown, Darling, the wee Dougie Alexander, etc by the legions) messing with our affairs. Surely what's good for the goose is only fair, just, and good for the gander too? [Only the English would be allowed to vote, natch].

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 6:20 pm

JR8 wrote: What do you think about Cameron's mooting an English parliament? I think it's great, no more Scottish politicians (Blair, Brown, Darling, the wee Dougie Alexander, etc by the legions) messing with our affairs. Surely what's good for the goose is only fair, just, and good for the gander too? [Only the English would be allowed to vote, natch].

Well, I did say....."No longer should Scots also vote on English matters."

Unfortunately, since Hollyrood is now just a devolved parliament within the UK structure, there isn't much to stop a Scot still becoming Prime Minister.

If you wanted an English only Parliament you should have been shouting from the rooftop for a breakup of the union but you can't get both. What you can and should get, is English issues voted on by only English ministers.

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by singapore eagle » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 6:35 pm

JR8 wrote:Blair
Eh? I know he was born in Edinburgh, but we can't really blame the sweaties for that one.

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by singapore eagle » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 6:37 pm

More generally, I can't help feeling that today marks the end of one crisis and the start of another. There's no way that the parties are going to make good on the promises that the three Westminster leaders made Scotland *and* satisfy the English and Welsh populations, at least not in the timetable that has been laid out.