Singapore Expats

SPR REP renewal - previous dependant

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
el1601

SPR REP renewal - previous dependant

Post by el1601 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 3:22 pm

Hi there, basically just wanted to get a feel for my REP renewal next year.

My parents have held PR status in Singapore since 2004, with me as a dependent on theirs. All of our REP expire next year, but as I am now over 21 I will have to apply for the renewal for myself (my parents will also be renewing).

I've been working in Singapore since I graduated from University in the UK. But I'm unsure if my REP renewal will be treated as a regular renewal, or whether they'd assess me like a new applicant?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 4:03 pm

Interesting. Let us know how it goes. Have you done you NS? If so, I'd say you probably have a reasonable chance but you will have to qualify on your own. If you haven't done NS, I wouldn't give you a slug nickle for your chances. Others may feel differently, but I've seen a sad case recently that I forewarned the parents about 7 years ago. Exactly what I told them came to pass recently.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

el1601

Post by el1601 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 4:38 pm

Well I'm not a dude, so NS is a non-issue. I do have an older brother, but we only applied for PR after he left SG.

I guess it's just fingers crossed then! I'm only a bit worried because if I get rejected my work will have to apply for an EP for me, and with the new regulations there's no reason a Singaporean couldn't do my job.... But we'll see.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 4:42 pm

el1601 wrote:Well I'm not a dude, so NS is a non-issue. I do have an older brother, but we only applied for PR after he left SG.
I guess it's just fingers crossed then! I'm only a bit worried because if I get rejected my work will have to apply for an EP for me, and with the new regulations there's no reason a Singaporean couldn't do my job.... But we'll see.
Smart parents :) I think if you currently working and have had your income assessed for the last 2 or 3 years, you are safe.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:33 am

I'd personally assume you have a pretty good chance. We haven't seen waves of posts about REPs being cancelled even for those who could never get a PR now if they were to apply.

just for some background info though...

What's your race, salary, and employment field? If it's not related to your degree, what's your degree in?