Singapore Expats

Staying in Singapore for EP holders

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
diddykong88

Staying in Singapore for EP holders

Post by diddykong88 » Fri, 12 Sep 2014 12:43 am

Hi people,

Appreciate if you can give me ideas on how to overcome this:

I am an EP holder who have been in Singapore for one year and I really love this place and would like to stay here. Thing is I dont really like the job I am doing now and I am thinking of resigning. But once I resign, my EP is cancelled and I have to go back.

Any ideas how to continue to stay here should I choose to resign and could not find any other jobs? I am wondering if EP holders can form their own company and later "hire" themselves as employee or are there any companies that offer "work for free" option for EP holders? Coz I am planning to apply to be a permanent resident but it is game over if you are not a work pass holder.

It may sound stupid but I am kinda lost in terms of what to do....

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 12 Sep 2014 1:27 am

short-answer: Find a new job before you quit. Or, Marry a Singaporean.

There are threads in the careers and business forums on EP holders forming their own companies. I'll let you go dig those up instead of providing a long answer. It's not easy, and minimally it should be a viable real business. It sounds like you don't have a plan or the capital for that.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Sat, 13 Sep 2014 10:21 pm

Singapore's visa system appears largely designed to prevent the unemployed from remaining here and/or get rid of anyone who is employed but undesirable in a hurry.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Staying in Singapore for EP holders

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 9:13 pm

diddykong88 wrote:Hi people,

Appreciate if you can give me ideas on how to overcome this:

I am an EP holder who have been in Singapore for one year and I really love this place and would like to stay here. Thing is I dont really like the job I am doing now and I am thinking of resigning. But once I resign, my EP is cancelled and I have to go back.

Any ideas how to continue to stay here should I choose to resign and could not find any other jobs? I am wondering if EP holders can form their own company and later "hire" themselves as employee or are there any companies that offer "work for free" option for EP holders? Coz I am planning to apply to be a permanent resident but it is game over if you are not a work pass holder.

It may sound stupid but I am kinda lost in terms of what to do....
Keep your job, find a new job, or be prepared to leave.