Singapore Expats

WHICH IMMIGRATION SCHEME IS GOOD OPTION FOR ME?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Re: WHICH IMMIGRATION SCHEME IS GOOD OPTION FOR ME?

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 9:31 am

Strong Eagle wrote: I got out of Singapore because the business model changed. Jobs are moving away from Singapore at an increasing rate. They are either being outsourced to lower cost countries (especially the services side of IT), or they are being virtualized into countries (the last company I contracted to moved all of its SAP development services to Brazil).
Any thoughts on whether the increased operating costs are primarily due to a rise in the value of SGD, or an increase in the absolute SGD pay (assuming productivity has not declined)?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 9:33 am

OP - best way to come to Singapore is on a transfer in with a multi national. Find a job with one who needs someone in Singapore.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 10:20 am

GSM8 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: I got out of Singapore because the business model changed. Jobs are moving away from Singapore at an increasing rate. They are either being outsourced to lower cost countries (especially the services side of IT), or they are being virtualized into countries (the last company I contracted to moved all of its SAP development services to Brazil).
Any thoughts on whether the increased operating costs are primarily due to a rise in the value of SGD, or an increase in the absolute SGD pay (assuming productivity has not declined)?
Increased SGD and higher rents. Pays have not gone up much.
But the most important factor is the increased pressure on companies especially banks to boost RoE. Their revenue streams have dried up, costs have not gone down proportionally. If anything costs have gone up due to increased requirements for compliance, risk professionals etc.

So they have no choice but look at all possible ways to cut cost and one of the default ways they look at doing that is moving to cheaper countries without reducing too much headcount. Especially when those jobs dont need to be in Singapore in the 1st place. Those jobs came to SIngapore during a different time, when banks made money like crazy.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 7:11 pm

What are of IT are you in? What are you looking for? How long have you been working in IT?

I came to Singapore last year and spent 2 months on the ground looking for work (I only planned to be here for 1 month :-p). My general opinion is it's a lot easier to look on the ground.

Only thing to be aware is outsourcing has a much higher penetration here then in Canada due to proximity to countries like India which eliminates some of the difficulties of outsourcing (like timezone differences). This in turn also means salaries tend to be lower for the day to day doers in IT. But that doesn't mean there aren't opportunities available for the right people with the right skill sets.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 8:45 pm

GSM8 wrote:
Costs have always been higher in Singapore. It's just that previously, other countries training, use of English, stability, and infrastructure weren't up to par... Philippines and parts of India excepted.

Malaysia's big push with its tech corridor, tax incentives, and easy work permits has hundreds of companies flocking to the region for all sorts of back office functions... virtually anything that can be done remotely is moving.