Singapore Expats

Best iOS App(s) for getting around Singapore

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Best iOS App(s) for getting around Singapore

Post by CaptainBullus » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 5:55 am

What apps do folk use for getting around Singapore? At the minute I use streetdirectory, mxdata (for MRT) and grab taxi. Any I'm missing or should be using that are better than what I've currently got?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 6:46 am

Google Maps, used in conjunction with Google Now, since if I search for something on Maps, Google Now would immediately give directions on my preferred way of transport (public included). Singapore is pretty well-indexed so a lot of bases are covered.

Gothere.sg is popular for its website but it also has an app. It and Google complement each other as sometimes, one has gaps the other covers.

A lot of people also seem to like Nokia HERE maps (returning soon as it was available previously). I haven't used it and I don't know how well they covered Singapore but a lot of people abroad swear it gives Google a run for its money--assuming of course it has a country well indexed. Hopefully, the competition will further improve all mapping apps.

General observation regarding other people's app usage: I don't really understand how having to search for a bus stop from an alphabetical list, selecting direction of travel then manually putting in the time ALL THE TIME is "convenient." People don't cite privacy concerns when doing so so that's not why they do it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 9:41 am

What Nak said, plus the specific Street Directory maps app. It's slow, and a batter and CPU hog, *but* it labels buildings, roads, and paths in much more detail that Google (or any other) map.

This one:
https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/singapo ... d388128906

you'll see by the screen shots it's the same maps you see printed out and hanging in MRT stations and such. I liked it since it labelled PCNs.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 9:49 am

zzm9980 wrote:What Nak said, plus the specific Street Directory maps app. It's slow, and a batter and CPU hog, *but* it labels buildings, roads, and paths in much more detail that Google (or any other) map.

This one:
https://itunes.apple.com/sg/app/singapo ... d388128906

you'll see by the screen shots it's the same maps you see printed out and hanging in MRT stations and such. I liked it since it labelled PCNs.
What I didn't like about Street Directory is that it used to only show SBS for buses. I stopped using it for directions when I found that out. You can use it to see which buildings are around you, I guess.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:33 pm

nakatago wrote: A lot of people also seem to like Nokia HERE maps (returning soon as it was available previously). I haven't used it and I don't know how well they covered Singapore but a lot of people abroad swear it gives Google a run for its money--assuming of course it has a country well indexed. Hopefully, the competition will further improve all mapping apps.
I use it! i have a Nokia 1020 and its pretty amazing and very accurate, coming Here Maps, Here Transit and Here Driving you have almost everything you want to get around in Singapore.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 1:15 pm

I use Google Maps, and gothere.sg interchangeably.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 5:35 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: I use it! i have a Nokia 1020 and its pretty amazing and very accurate, coming Here Maps, Here Transit and Here Driving you have almost everything you want to get around in Singapore.

I have the L920 with HERE Drive+/Maps and find it very useful. Being able to D/Load maps prior to going anywhere (almost) and using them without any Data Connection was partly the reason for sticking with Nokia (along with the Camera, my PC is also Win8, MixRadio, MSOffice).

The 920 quality is a bit shaky as an early Lumia so I'm looking forward to the newer ones when it comes for replacement at my next EP renewal.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

jasonch

Post by jasonch » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:24 am

I used waze to find my way around Singapore.

It's currently the top app for android i think.
I make mobile apps.
http://www.marduksoft.com

eycoin

Post by eycoin » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 1:51 am

gothere.sg work well for me

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 1:29 pm

i use google maps but my wife prefers onemap.sg although i think it's built exactly like a singapore civil servant...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

aphelionx

Post by aphelionx » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 1:11 am

In the past google maps used to be so bad, but now I think it should be the best app for searching directions or locations. Either gothere.sg or google maps. no other better

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 9:47 pm

For buses you can also add:
- MyTransport
- SG NextBus
- SMRTConnect
- SBS Transit

How2Go can also be useful in finding routings.