Singapore Expats

Housing in Singapore on a Budget

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
dpot
Regular
Regular

Post by dpot » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 11:45 pm

Why not just look farther east...not much in Bedok, but I'm sure you can find a really nice place in Pasir Ris for this.

Search By

kilang

Post by kilang » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 2:54 am

Hi people! I'll be moving to SG quite soon and would prefer not to spend too much on housing (hell, I thought here in the Netherlands rents were expensive..). Will be working in Raffles Place, but don't care commuting (bus/sub) 30 minutes both ways, though preferably not more (have done 2 hours of daily commute in NYC, didn't enjoy it that much..).

Don't have particular requirements, would be ok with a studio (i.e. kitchen/LR + 1BR, not kitchen/LR/BR in the same space), not shared, a gym nearby would be nice, not that interested in facilities like pools. Something around 2.5k would be good, but will ask my agent for apartments in the range 2-2.5k.

Those zzm9980 and Wd40 have written about seem like a good fit, but if you know about some other places, I'd be grateful if you could share this info :) Thanks!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 8:27 am

Prices have come down easy 10-30% since we posted that advice. You'll be able to get a full-size (not shoebox) condo in plenty of areas now for about $3k. I've personally seen "older" condos ~$2.5k in some nicer areas like with expat friendly things like Tanjong Katong and East Coast Rd.

The only catch is, an "older" condo is about the same as an HDB in terms of unit quality IMO. The only advantage to them IMO is they're often in smaller shorter buildings (2-4 stories as opposed to HDB's 12-24 or more). If you don't mind being an HDB, you can get all kinds of stuff in this range now.

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Sun, 07 Sep 2014 2:59 pm

Perfect timing then if rental has fallen as much as 10 - 30%. I am moving to Singapore next month.

I am looking a reasonable size condo, big enough for me wife and baby, and the occasionally visiting in-laws/baby sitter. Location Location is important and I prefer near a MRT station.

With a budget of 2.5k to 3k, I am hoping to find somewhere nice. Some of the nicer ones I have seen in budget and are newer (Guilldemard Edge, and area's like that, or Casa Cabimo) only feature mainly artist pictures and impressions and not actual pictures of the place.

Does this mean that the places are likely to be so new that there is nothing there functioning. Worst still, the place may not even be completed and is actually more of a building site than a residential area ?? This has happened to be before where the place was new that the pool was not open and gym was not complete and during the day was constant drilling and building.

I have tried to get answers and pictures from agents but so far nothing helpful has come from speaking to agents before I have landed

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 5:53 pm

5... 4... 3... 2...
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 7:45 pm

^^ :lol: [-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 11:55 pm

louy wrote:Perfect timing then if rental has fallen as much as 10 - 30%. I am moving to Singapore next month.

I am looking a reasonable size condo, big enough for me wife and baby, and the occasionally visiting in-laws/baby sitter. Location Location is important and I prefer near a MRT station.

With a budget of 2.5k to 3k, I am hoping to find somewhere nice. Some of the nicer ones I have seen in budget and are newer (Guilldemard Edge, and area's like that, or Casa Cabimo) only feature mainly artist pictures and impressions and not actual pictures of the place.

Does this mean that the places are likely to be so new that there is nothing there functioning. Worst still, the place may not even be completed and is actually more of a building site than a residential area ?? This has happened to be before where the place was new that the pool was not open and gym was not complete and during the day was constant drilling and building.

I have tried to get answers and pictures from agents but so far nothing helpful has come from speaking to agents before I have landed
It could mean that someone advertising a unit that hasn't TOP'd yet. But more likely it is a fake ad for an agent who is just fishing for tenant clients. He/she doesn't have a specific unit in that building, but is instead trying to find potential clients in that price range.

chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Post by chris_pilgrim » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 9:51 am

zzm9980 wrote:Prices have come down easy 10-30% since we posted that advice. You'll be able to get a full-size (not shoebox) condo in plenty of areas now for about $3k. I've personally seen "older" condos ~$2.5k in some nicer areas like with expat friendly things like Tanjong Katong and East Coast Rd.
ahhh... now i know why my company had offered to up my housing location to D10.

@zzm9980. sorry to go slightly off the thread, just being curious, why is prices going down so drastically? :shock:
It is better to believe than to disbelieve. in doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:06 am

Less Expats to gouge due to the harder criteria to hire them. LL's are having to bite the bullet or have their properties lay vacant for long periods. Most LL are over-extended on their mortgages and with the cooling measures in place and other units coming up for sale for less money, those with high mortgages and little equity are finding themselves between a rock & a hard place. It's good for those expats who can somehow manage to keep their passes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

louy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by louy » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 3:27 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
It could mean that someone advertising a unit that hasn't TOP'd yet. But more likely it is a fake ad for an agent who is just fishing for tenant clients. He/she doesn't have a specific unit in that building, but is instead trying to find potential clients in that price range.
ah, this does explain a lot. I think there is a lot of examples of both.

This is really frustrating and it seems it is not really feasible to conduct searches before I arrive. A lot of ads are showing more the complex or estate, showing the lift lobby or the surrounding area. Whilst that is important, I just want to see what is inside the property !!!