Singapore Expats

eating clean near far east

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
VicStan

Post by VicStan » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:49 pm

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
nakatago wrote: Variety for vegetables comes at a premium in Singapore. Even just buying the ingredients at Fairprice Xtra/Finest or Cold Storage is still expensive.
yes but only an idiot would buy veggies in Fairprice Xtra/Cold storage or market place, try the local markets, they sell almost everything you need.
for eg I would buy a kilo of those small ripe tomatoes for 5$ in cold storage about 250gm of that is 5$
for 10-15$ I could buy enough veggies to make me salad four times a week for 1 person
Yeah, but after a while, you'll get tired of lettuce. I personally don't have a problem of mixing things up since I can be pretty creative but going to the local market has the inherent risk of the ang moh tax.

And if I may just say this: the market in Holland Village is pretty corporate drone friendly since you can still buy vegetables at 6pm.
Hello,

I've been trying to go to local markets but aside from tomatoes and lettuce , they don't have much of a variety. Even the ones at cold storage aren't very good.

Anyone have any online farmers market sites SG to recommend? Craving a good salad badly!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 6:46 am

VicStan wrote:
nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: yes but only an idiot would buy veggies in Fairprice Xtra/Cold storage or market place, try the local markets, they sell almost everything you need.
for eg I would buy a kilo of those small ripe tomatoes for 5$ in cold storage about 250gm of that is 5$
for 10-15$ I could buy enough veggies to make me salad four times a week for 1 person
Yeah, but after a while, you'll get tired of lettuce. I personally don't have a problem of mixing things up since I can be pretty creative but going to the local market has the inherent risk of the ang moh tax.

And if I may just say this: the market in Holland Village is pretty corporate drone friendly since you can still buy vegetables at 6pm.
Hello,

I've been trying to go to local markets but aside from tomatoes and lettuce , they don't have much of a variety. Even the ones at cold storage aren't very good.

Anyone have any online farmers market sites SG to recommend? Craving a good salad badly!
Those are virtually non-existent since there are practically no farmers in Singapore and of course, the ever-present wet markets, moreso online ones. I heard there's a "farm" somewhere in the Dairy Farm area (what would pass as the boonies of Singapore) but who wants to go there?

You'll just have to learn more Asian salad recipes, learn to haggle, stir fry or get an Asian to go wet market shopping for--err, I mean WITH you.

You can do a lot with snow peas, long beans, bok-choi, pek-chai and cabbage if you try. Look at Australian cooking sites; I've noticed they've embraced Thai/Vietnamese cuisine and have adapted some recipes.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 9:10 am

VicStan wrote: I've been trying to go to local markets but aside from tomatoes and lettuce , they don't have much of a variety. Even the ones at cold storage aren't very good.
I think you're fighting the tide on that one. From what I see most locals don't eat salad - the bitter-taste-gene seems prevalent, plus let's face it, it's not a part of their culture. Hence local markets (i.e. pitched at locals) are the absolute last place I'd expect to find them.

If you wished to find decent salad I'd head for a place where salad-eaters shop. Cold Storage @ Ngee Ann, the food shop at http://www.hubers.com.sg/ @ Dempsey, Jason's @ Tanglin Mall etc. Or if you find a half-way decent salad whilst dining out, ask the staff where the ingredients are bought, the chef should be delighted to tell/help you.

Salad has such a short shelf-life, and such a tiny potential market here, I don't hold out much hope. 'When in Rome'.

Online farmers market? Nope doesn't exist here. But there is a physical farmers market - http://www.pasarbella.com/