Singapore Expats

Agencies putting offer letter on hold

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
dicymoon

Agencies putting offer letter on hold

Post by dicymoon » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 6:46 pm

Can anyone tell me that why the agencies here are putting our employment on hold even after clearing the interviews?? Has anyone faced such situation??Do they actually give you offer after waiting???

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Agencies putting offer letter on hold

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 6:57 pm

dicymoon wrote:Can anyone tell me that why the agencies here are putting our employment on hold even after clearing the interviews?? Has anyone faced such situation??Do they actually give you offer after waiting???
Do you have a written offer? If not then you have not got a job yet. Sounds like the principal may have changed their minds or delayed the hiring date.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 11:22 pm

Often a role can get approved and stay open for a while. While the job is open, head count pressure (or a hiring freeze) happens and even the hiring manager may not know about it until they try to get the offer letter out.

Normally the freeze is only for a few months and the role *may* still be there when things open again. Towards the end of the year most banks have headcount freezes - I am unsure of other industries.

Then again, Agencies have been known to offer "fake" jobs to get people on the books but if you have had an interview with the company this is unlikely to be the case as hiring managers hate to waste their time interviewing people they do not think will get the role.

Andrew.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 11:29 pm

Over the course of my career I've been on both sides of this. A candidate who interviewed and had a position put on hold as well as a hiring manager who has lost hires after a hiring freeze was brought in before the offer could be completed.

It sucks, but such is life.

Here's something to think about - the agency lost out just as much as you did (well maybe not quite as much) as they had a very good commission riding on your hire. Its very, very unlikely the agency had anything to do with it.

dicymoon

Post by dicymoon » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 4:14 am

Yeah this condition really sucks because based on one verbal offer assurance I resigned from my permanent job where actually i knew the people.I was trying to find a project in Singapore due to my movement here. I never knew that agencies could put my offer on hold/withdraw the offer :cry: Still i found another job, cleared the interview but now again same thing happened with me. :cry: :cry: The agency says that I have to wait for 2 weeks to get the offer. But if I get something in 2 weeks i can go ahead. I really don't understand how the agencies work here. THESE AGENCIES SHOULD BE STOPPED WORKING COMPLETELY in SG....I have nothing in my hand now.:(

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: reply

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 5:45 am

dicymoon wrote:Yeah this condition really sucks because based on one verbal offer assurance I resigned from my permanent job where actually i knew the people.I was trying to find a project in Singapore due to my movement here. I never knew that agencies could put my offer on hold/withdraw the offer :cry: Still i found another job, cleared the interview but now again same thing happened with me. :cry: :cry: The agency says that I have to wait for 2 weeks to get the offer. But if I get something in 2 weeks i can go ahead. I really don't understand how the agencies work here. THESE AGENCIES SHOULD BE STOPPED WORKING COMPLETELY in SG....I have nothing in my hand now.:(
I do sympathise with you, but, as has been discussed on this forum in the past... [and this is more for future readers of this thread]...

The lesson from this is NOT to resign from your current job until you have, in writing, BOTH a confirmed job offer AND an In Principle Approval (IPA) letter from MOM in your hand. (The latter of course assumes that you require an EP and are not a PR, SC or PEP holder). As the old saying goes, a verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's (not) written on.

The general consensus here is that agencies in Singapore are universally useless, but I don't think you can really blame them for the situation you now find yourself in. Sometimes, circumstances dictate that life's lessons have to be learned the hard way.

Having said all that, I do wish you luck in finding alternative employment.
Be careful what you wish for

dicymoon

Post by dicymoon » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:30 am

These are really important points raised by all of you.Thanks a lott..I wish I would have read this forum before applying for the jobs here :cry: It's a big lesson for me..I never knew such things will happen with me

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 1:15 pm

You resigned on the basis of a verbal offer? Your'e a fool.

Next time, do not resign at all. Seriously. Just keep working at the old job until you're new contract lands. Go to the new job - take leave from the old one - make sure the new job is real. Wait for the first pay packet then resign (or wait to be fired from the old one). This is a little cynical but these days it's almost what is needed to make sure that the new job is real.

dicymoon

Post by dicymoon » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 1:25 pm

I know..I did a big mistake.. :roll: :cry:

dicymoon

Post by dicymoon » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 1:28 pm

But the reason for resignation was that agency asked me to produce the relieving letter from old company. I tried my best to get that in a week's time and when i produced that they told that my offer is not confirmed due to some illogical reason. They are still asking me to wait after a lot of long discussion and argument.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 1:31 pm

dicymoon wrote:But the reason for resignation was that agency asked me to produce the relieving letter from old company. I tried my best to get that in a week's time and when i produced that they told that my offer is not confirmed due to some illogical reason. They are still asking me to wait after a lot of long discussion and argument.
Sounds like they're holding you up to a double standard. They want to be sure that you're good to go but they can't offer the same assurance for you, even as a courtesy.

Typical.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 1:37 pm

dicymoon wrote:But the reason for resignation was that agency asked me to produce the relieving letter from old company. I tried my best to get that in a week's time and when i produced that they told that my offer is not confirmed due to some illogical reason. They are still asking me to wait after a lot of long discussion and argument.
I've never had that happen to me. I'd have seriously considered not moving forward if asked that.

dicymoon

Post by dicymoon » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 2:04 pm

I would also have not worked with such agency but neither i have offer in my hand nor I am getting any interview calls. I contacted most of the companies and applied for jobs. But no luck in these two days. I remember when I got all the interviews cleared at one fetch and I was so happy that I was joining soon. But these agencies suck..the contract jobs suck...I have nothing left just to wait.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 2:11 pm

Dicymoon, reading your 1st thread in the forum in which you asked whether EP is better or LoC is better, bank is better or Financial Institution is better, bank has IT environment or not. Your comments came across as very naive and someone with an attitude problem.

I am sure you attitude also shows up in the interview process. I hope you now realize that as a foreigner here, that too as a trailing spouse, you need to be more humble than that.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 2:48 pm

Wd40 wrote:Dicymoon, reading your 1st thread in the forum in which you asked whether EP is better or LoC is better, bank is better or Financial Institution is better, bank has IT environment or not. Your comments came across as very naive and someone with an attitude problem.

I am sure you attitude also shows up in the interview process. I hope you now realize that as a foreigner here, that too as a trailing spouse, you need to be more humble than that.
Oh piss off you prat.