Singapore Expats

HDB dwelling : Heaven or Hell when come to noise pollution?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 12:48 pm

ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I'm getting sick of my neighbours of late,

neighbour1: family of six + one maid + three dogs + four cycles, of all these people its just one of these dogs that keeps barking incessantly
its because they don't let it hang out with another dog or take it out for a walk

neighbour2: family of five plus one dog, this dog hates the dogs in the other unit and vice versa

one floor above: some DIY infected dude who keeps hammering,nailing shit to the wall dropping heavy things

one floor below : families full of screaming,wailing,semi dying kids

in between: me trying to concentrate and work from home

Question is: is this normal for most HDB estates? #countingbeads
ah, pretty normal

in my new place they are painting the blocks, but don't ask me why they have to drill different areas of the block randomlyn while painting ...

the older HDB walls are thinner and the design was more for mass production, vs those newer blocks that have more privacy and less noise from neighbors carry over .. like in Sengkang/Punggol area.

and newer blocks are so nice some have balcony and some, you don't even see the rest of the floor residents at all, maybe only 2 houses next to you will even bump into you.

move to a newer HDB?

ps, did you try the dog whistles which can shut dogs off for a while? :twisted: :twisted:

I am not sure if my unit is new or old, the walls are quite thin, no balconies, and only 2 houses for immediate neighbours, but my bedroom windows open out towards other units and thats the source of all this noise.
I just re-contracted for another year about 4 months ago and it's only a room rental agreement, not sure what my cut and run options are at this moment and what I will lose.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 1:26 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:]

I am not sure if my unit is new or old, the walls are quite thin, no balconies, and only 2 houses for immediate neighbours, but my bedroom windows open out towards other units and thats the source of all this noise.
I just re-contracted for another year about 4 months ago and it's only a room rental agreement, not sure what my cut and run options are at this moment and what I will lose.
your area is generally older blocks

try the dog whistle

download the tones from internet, put on highest volume in your speaker and try the different tones

one of the tones can shut the dogs up, not audible to human beings though. :twisted:

about JR8s suggestion to scream louder, I doubt that's gonna work on babies :(

about barking back? you may end up in Woodbridge :D if someone sees you doing it!!

also you can source for noise insulation, not too obvious but works, as I did when i was near your area, as the neighbor had the habit of calling India past Midnight or playing with the child past midnight ....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 1:35 pm

ecureilx wrote: about barking back? you may end up in Woodbridge :D if someone sees you doing it!!
OH, I don't know. We all get cranked up occasionally and howl at the moon. Especially when fueled by Desker and holding a mic.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 1:42 pm

ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:]

your area is generally older blocks

try the dog whistle

download the tones from internet, put on highest volume in your speaker and try the different tones

one of the tones can shut the dogs up, not audible to human beings though. :twisted:

about JR8s suggestion to scream louder, I doubt that's gonna work on babies :(

about barking back? you may end up in Woodbridge :D if someone sees you doing it!!

also you can source for noise insulation, not too obvious but works, as I did when i was near your area, as the neighbor had the habit of calling India past Midnight or playing with the child past midnight ....
hmm the downloading tones are a good idea and then loading it on my phone. :twisted:
and I actually like dogs, but I think these poor creatures are forced to spend time with 6 humans in a 3 room house and theres a baby on its way as well, its like a refugee camp from hell.
all their stuff is kept all over the balcony too, they had a cute little maid from Myanmar , but they fired her cause I think she was a bit too cute.
I can scream louder, and maybe i should just decide to tune my electric guitar at night and play some power chords
or play some slayer - raining blood at full volume. :cool:

there is some Indian guy too, calls someone from India and then starts blabbering, at which point I feel like yelling, shut the hell up foreign guy!!
*beckers voice* but then again I'm the foreign guy here as well right? :?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 1:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ecureilx wrote: about barking back? you may end up in Woodbridge :D if someone sees you doing it!!
OH, I don't know. We all get cranked up occasionally and howl at the moon. Especially when fueled by Desker and holding a mic.
if you are fuelled by Desker, I am getting suspicious :rolleyes:

if you are fuelled by Dester, that makes sense ;)

Raj, better to load it to an MP30 player and hook it to external speakers for best results

and you can test and direct for maximum effect

:twisted:

I pity the owners when they start to worry, when either the dogs go Ape shit or shut up suddenly !!!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 2:48 pm

as per HDB rules, only 1 dog per house is allowed, this house has three!!
:x

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 8:41 am

Noise invasion everywhere.

On way home from work yesterday the train now playing (crappy) music. How to call someone with cocktail of train, people and music noise.

I even have to tell the Bank Manager to turn the volume down.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:33 am

So here is the problem, there are actually four dogs in that household instead of three, there used to be three before and ever since they introduced the fourth dog, there is obviously a territorial dispute.
How six humans and 4 dogs can co exist in a three room HDB is beyond me.
I have no choice but to work from home for the first three days of the week and today is day two and I have to put up with the constant barking. It is seriously starting to be a major problem

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 1:16 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:So here is the problem, there are actually four dogs in that household instead of three, there used to be three before and ever since they introduced the fourth dog, there is obviously a territorial dispute.
How six humans and 4 dogs can co exist in a three room HDB is beyond me.
I have no choice but to work from home for the first three days of the week and today is day two and I have to put up with the constant barking. It is seriously starting to be a major problem
maybe the dogs are symbiotically reproducing ;)