Singapore Expats

Maid was Stealing

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:15 am

One thing to remember is that if you do report her to the police, you lose complete control of the situation. Some friends of mine did this and then ended up somewhat horrified at the draconian response by Singapore.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:12 pm

movingtospore wrote:One thing to remember is that if you do report her to the police, you lose complete control of the situation. Some friends of mine did this and then ended up somewhat horrified at the draconian response by Singapore.
example?

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 1:39 pm

movingtospore wrote:One thing to remember is that if you do report her to the police, you lose complete control of the situation. Some friends of mine did this and then ended up somewhat horrified at the draconian response by Singapore.
Must report. Many people are victims, relatives included. If we don't report, then who are we? Accomplices?

Other thing, police know better how to talk to thieves, do not think you are just genetically more clever. In fact, by now the maid managed to return most. The amount she hasn't had time to spend. She stole really a lot.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 1:56 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
Must report. Many people are victims, relatives included. If we don't report, then who are we? Accomplices?

Other thing, police know better how to talk to thieves, do not think you are just genetically more clever. In fact, by now the maid managed to return most. The amount she hasn't had time to spend. She stole really a lot.
I do agree. Not reporting crimes also allows the crime stats to become warped... and even more under the level of what they actually are.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 2:27 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:

I do agree. Not reporting crimes also allows the crime stats to become warped... and even more under the level of what they actually are.
And without the appropriate punishment she will do it again to another family. Hopefully this will shock her into realising that stealing is actually wrong and she will come out the other side a better person or, at the very least, have respect for others' property.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 4:06 pm

According to my wife, the maid had nothing suspicious in her bio other than one thing: time she stayed with previous families are 3 months, 5 months, similar - very short term. Maybe, those families were "kind" and didn't report, so she came back to Singapore again and robbed us.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 8:46 am

Sergei82 wrote:According to my wife, the maid had nothing suspicious in her bio other than one thing: time she stayed with previous families are 3 months, 5 months, similar - very short term. Maybe, those families were "kind" and didn't report, so she came back to Singapore again and robbed us.
I think that's a key point for the question you asked about screening potential maids. Many short stays with various families should set off the alarm bells.

I know its easy to say in hindsight.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 30 Aug 2014 5:04 am

I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but here goes: Drop the maid and do your own housework.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 10:46 am

BedokAmerican wrote:I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but here goes: Drop the maid and do your own housework.
Do you think you can scare me with that?

nakatago

...and now, a quick word from our sponsors

Post by nakatago » Mon, 01 Sep 2014 11:15 am

Sergei82 wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote:I'm going to get yelled at for saying this, but here goes: Drop the maid and do your own housework.
Do you think you can scare me with that?
@BedokAmerican:

:roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 2:51 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
example?
Well, I totally agree with other posters that it isn't right not to hold them accountable. But on the other hand...some old neighbours of ours had a young, not-very-bring maid who decided to pilfer the grocery money. She stole a grand total of $150 or so over the period of a couple of months. They were about to toss her out of Singapore when the agent suggested they really should get the police involved. So they did. Girl, who turned out to be underage, ended up in jail for a few weeks, and then brought back to their estate in a jumpsuit and chains to be paraded around in front of the other maids. They had to leave work in the middle of the day to come home and deal with the commotion the police had caused...and then still had to deal with paying to ship her out of Singapore not to mention the threatened consequences for employing an underage maid (which they didn't know).

I tend to think the one-way ticket home is a pretty good punishment in of itself for a teenager with a grade 6 education.

Realize not all would fall in this category though.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 3:18 pm

movingtospore wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
example?
Well, I totally agree with other posters that it isn't right not to hold them accountable. But on the other hand...some old neighbours of ours had a young, not-very-bring maid who decided to pilfer the grocery money. She stole a grand total of $150 or so over the period of a couple of months. They were about to toss her out of Singapore when the agent suggested they really should get the police involved. So they did. Girl, who turned out to be underage, ended up in jail for a few weeks, and then brought back to their estate in a jumpsuit and chains to be paraded around in front of the other maids. They had to leave work in the middle of the day to come home and deal with the commotion the police had caused...and then still had to deal with paying to ship her out of Singapore not to mention the threatened consequences for employing an underage maid (which they didn't know).

I tend to think the one-way ticket home is a pretty good punishment in of itself for a teenager with a grade 6 education.

Realize not all would fall in this category though.
Ours stole around forty times as that from multiple people in less than 3 months, not considering her salary, and we need to pay 3K more to bring another one + the tickets, not mentioning we are maidless now. If you were me, would you just let her go home? Please, take the scale of the crime into consideration before voicing yourself out.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 8:18 pm

I believe that's why I said -

"Realize not all would fall in this category though". Precisely my point - not every situation is the same.

Sucks for you, to be sure!

msten885

Maid

Post by msten885 » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 4:18 pm

Hi Steve

Your wife's cousin still looking to move?

Mike
Steve1960 wrote:That really sucks sorry for what happened to you.

Many of you teased me mercilessly when I told you my wife wanted to bring across her best friend to be our maid. Six months on I can say it is working perfectly and the best decision we ever made. Totally reliable, 100% honest, really hard worker.

However, as was mentioned above we do have a safe in the apartment which I think is a good idea for anyone hosting a stranger in their home.

Sergie, Our maids cousin might be looking to move she is having a rough time working for a Chinese family. PM me if interested.