Singapore Expats

Oh the irony: Racism by a Chinese against a Brazilian in Syd

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Oh the irony: Racism by a Chinese against a Brazilian in Syd

Post by the lynx » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 3:04 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ts-2727063
A Brazilian-born Australian man has told how he was denied a job as a barista after a cafe owner told him his customers wouldn't want their 'coffee made by black people'.
‘There are a lot of white customers at the café and I think the clients here want local people, not African people,' said Steven, who arrived in Australia from China this year.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:53 am

Irony indeed, [sheesh].

Thx for linking, I shared on FB too with several 'cina' friends, and I expect they'll be equally as mortified.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 2:54 pm

JR8 wrote:Irony indeed, [sheesh].

Thx for linking, I shared on FB too with several 'cina' friends, and I expect they'll be equally as mortified.
Are you surprised though?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 3:22 pm

Barnsley wrote:
JR8 wrote:Irony indeed, [sheesh].
Are you surprised though?

A Chinese immigrant to Australia, thinking a black (Brazilian) guy is not sufficiently convincing as a barrista, whereas a white guy would be ... ? Living here you think you maybe 'get the whacko ignorant thinking' but still shake your head in wonder.

No, it doesn't surprise me at all. It takes a certain mindset of crass ignorance to be so oblivious/impervious to the perversity of such a situation.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:51 am

I am surprised at this age and time, a totally ignorant p!@#k could be so blatant to that job seeker. And he blame the white folks would not drink their coffee if they were served by the Brazilian.

:mad:

sy_aus

Post by sy_aus » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 9:27 am

JR8 wrote: A Chinese immigrant to Australia
He's not even an immigrant yet. He's holding a business investment visa that requires him to run a business and have a minimum 5 Australian citizens employed into that business.

Once he met all the minimum term and conditions, they will then give him a PR status.

The next few days the cafe wasn't even opened .. the cafe is vandalised with egg throwing, flour bombing.

Nihility
Regular
Regular

Post by Nihility » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 9:03 pm

His reactionary response is typical of one who has not been socially conditioned to automatically pull the politically correct card from the pile of excuses. Most in the west know racism is a dangerous playground to be play in but mainlanders from China go about their day freely labelling people like Nilson with all sorts of shocking stereotypes and put downs. Give the cafe owner a few years and he'll master of the art of hiding his contempt with a nice layer of bullsh!t.