Singapore Expats

Dependent pass vs stamp on arrival

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
AuntieMabel

Dependent pass vs stamp on arrival

Post by AuntieMabel » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:22 pm

I'm due to move to SG in late September. I'll have an EP, but because the travel allowances are more generous if I go as 'unaccompanied', my work aren't applying for a DP for my other half for me.

He'll likely go to and from, spending up to 2-3 months in Singapore then heading home to do his work back in the UK. As a UK citizen he gets 90 days on a visitor's visa - but are there restrictions on how long he can stay or how many visits he can do in a given timeframe? I don't imagine it's that simple, and it's rarely a good idea to try and bend the rules on tourist visas, so I want to make sure we do everything properly.

If he comes in on a visitor's stamp, can I apply for his DP while he's there, or does he need to apply from the UK? The MOM website isn't all that informative.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:13 pm

Here we go again. :roll:

He will be askin' to be bounced out of the country for a minimum of one year once the cotton on to what he's doing. Sure Lose proposition.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Dependent pass vs stamp on arrival

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:37 am

AuntieMabel wrote:I'm due to move to SG in late September. I'll have an EP, but because the travel allowances are more generous if I go as 'unaccompanied', my work aren't applying for a DP for my other half for me.
How does that work, and to what $$$ extent?

I'd be inclined to require your employer to get the DP. Put the potentially significant administrative burden upon them.

Your alt of him 'border running' is a fools game. He'll agree with that prognosis the 3rd time (or 4th, or 8th) he arrives at Changi and is refused entry.

How much is the peace of mind worth? And how much is relocating together with your 'other half' worth, rather than you leaving and making an occasional tourist of him?

I think it would be better and healthier for the relationship if you started out this move with him on a DP.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Dependent pass vs stamp on arrival

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:46 am

JR8 wrote:
AuntieMabel wrote:I'm due to move to SG in late September. I'll have an EP, but because the travel allowances are more generous if I go as 'unaccompanied', my work aren't applying for a DP for my other half for me.
How does that work, and to what $$$ extent?

I'd be inclined to require your employer to get the DP. Put the potentially significant administrative burden upon them.

Your alt of him 'border running' is a fools game. He'll agree with that prognosis the 3rd time (or 4th, or 8th) he arrives at Changi and is refused entry.

How much is the peace of mind worth? And how much is relocating together with your 'other half' worth, rather than you leaving and making an occasional tourist of him?

I think it would be better and healthier for the relationship if you started out this move with him on a DP.
Probably another motivation is because her husband has work in UK, which doesn't make sense for him to give it up and go under DP and risk not being to work in Singapore for a long period of time.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:41 pm

My thinking was that having a DP would not force him to spend more time than he's currently planning on doing in SG. But it would give him a lot more flexibility if he chose to do so.

We've had the discussion re: freelancing abroad on a SGn-DP a few times before. I understood the conclusion was that whilst on a DP, work carried out abroad, and paid wholly abroad was not a problem, and indeed outside of the remit of both SG-ICA and SG-IRA?

AuntieMabel

Post by AuntieMabel » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 1:17 pm

I really didn't think it would be that simple - hence the second part of my post.

I am there for 9 months, and he is potentially visiting 3-4 times for a few weeks at a time (potentially up to 90 days), then going home to do his work there (we took a look but getting visas for him to freelance from SG was massively complicated, and all his clients are in the UK).

The cash difference is huge, so between the visa and money, and the fact it's a relatively short-term move, it makes sense or him to be a 'tourist'. But I did suspect that chunky periods spent in the country, travelling in and out of Changi to visit the region, are likely to get red flags by immigration - even if he actually *is* a tourist. I couldn't find anything online about what total length of stay is allowed, legally, on tourist stamps - hence asking here.

If it's not going to be long enough, I'll apply for a DP for him. But as I said in my opening post, can I do this during one of his visits over, or does it need to be done from home?

(And how much of an admin burden is it? It looked relatively straightforward from the form).

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 1:26 pm

AuntieMabel wrote:I really didn't think it would be that simple - hence the second part of my post.

I am there for 9 months, and he is potentially visiting 3-4 times for a few weeks at a time (potentially up to 90 days), then going home to do his work there (we took a look but getting visas for him to freelance from SG was massively complicated, and all his clients are in the UK).

The cash difference is huge, so between the visa and money, and the fact it's a relatively short-term move, it makes sense or him to be a 'tourist'. But I did suspect that chunky periods spent in the country, travelling in and out of Changi to visit the region, are likely to get red flags by immigration - even if he actually *is* a tourist. I couldn't find anything online about what total length of stay is allowed, legally, on tourist stamps - hence asking here.

If it's not going to be long enough, I'll apply for a DP for him. But as I said in my opening post, can I do this during one of his visits over, or does it need to be done from home?

(And how much of an admin burden is it? It looked relatively straightforward from the form).
It can be done at any point of time (during your EP application, and even after you obtain the photocard) provided you do not have less than x months left before expiry when you apply for it.

I have a friend who moved here without her daughter, as she was still studying in UK. But after few months, she applied for her so that she could zip in and out of Singapore whenever she visits them.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 1:32 pm

AuntieMabel wrote:I am there for 9 months, and he is potentially visiting 3-4 times for a few weeks at a time (potentially up to 90 days)
Up to 90 days in total, or each trip?
If the former just use SVPs, assuming he's entitled.
Simple.

If the latter, tricky and not recommended, as he's effectively seeking residency via a back-door.

AuntieMabel

Post by AuntieMabel » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks, all.

JR8 - I reckon 4-5 months in total.

Sounds very much like DP is needed just to he can come and go without any problems. I'll start getting his paperwork together.

AuntieMabel

Post by AuntieMabel » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 4:29 pm

One more question, if you don't mind.

My EP application went in today - it's being handled by a relocation company. They have said they can do the DP for me too, but I'd have to engage them separately, at a cost of SG$500 (plus the MOM fees).

That seems like a lot of cash to fill in and submit a form. Is it worth paying, or can I do this myself once I have my EP? Husband isn't planning to travel until November, so we have a while.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 5:49 pm

AuntieMabel wrote:One more question, if you don't mind.

My EP application went in today - it's being handled by a relocation company. They have said they can do the DP for me too, but I'd have to engage them separately, at a cost of SG$500 (plus the MOM fees).

That seems like a lot of cash to fill in and submit a form. Is it worth paying, or can I do this myself once I have my EP? Husband isn't planning to travel until November, so we have a while.
Generally not worth it unless you're easily paralysed/intimidated by forms. Why don't you go over the forms/process to have a feel for yourself.

Otherwise, I only charge 450 SGD nett to handle the processing. :wink:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

AuntieMabel

Post by AuntieMabel » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks. I spend a lot of time filling in forms at work, and it looked really straightforward to me, so I just wondered if there's something I'm missing here.

From what I've read approval shouldn't be difficult (husband is British, clean record, postgrad degree, etc). I'll start the process myself once I get my EP letter.

Thanks everyone.