Singapore Expats

Counter-intuitive or surprising facts (trivia)

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
aster
Manager
Manager

Re: Counter-intuitive or surprising facts (trivia)

Post by aster » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 9:27 pm

JR8 wrote:Canada is larger than America.

I'd vouch that most Europeans don't know that!

CAN 3,855,100 Miles2
USA 3,794,100 Miles2
One of my favourites that a lot of people in the US might not know:

In all his travels and discoveries, Christopher Columbus never stepped foot on what is the present-day US!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 9:38 pm

'I thought he was on HMS Mayflower, that landed at Wall Street.'

lol...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Counter-intuitive or surprising facts (trivia)

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:53 pm

aster wrote: One of my favourites that a lot of people in the US might not know:
Or a lot of people in the US may know. But let's feel free to interject baseless, intentionally biased, and inflammatory supposition that insults Americans wherever we can since it's so trendy and all.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 9:03 am

Did you know that the Malays are as much of immigrants as everyone else is in Malay peninsula and Malay archipelago?

They were descendants of Proto-Malays who arrived after the Senois, who came when Negritos were already inhabiting the lands.

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Maker

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 9:29 am

the lynx wrote:Did you know that the Malays are as much of immigrants as everyone else is in Malay peninsula and Malay archipelago?

They were descendants of Proto-Malays who arrived after the Senois, who came when Negritos were already inhabiting the lands.
Hmmm, that's interesting. I had mistakenly thought the Sundanese were the proto-Malays.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundanese_people

This situation reminds me rather of the West Indies. You have Afro-Caribbean people there, who are descended from African indentured labour. They're only there because the slavers shipped their ancestors there (a parallel to Chinese/Indians in Malaysia?).

So who were the equivalent of the Negritos of the Caribbean? The similarly almost forgotten Arawak... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arawak