Singapore Expats

Breaking lease over apartment problems (leak)?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 4:03 pm

Bad habit here of burying pipes in walls.

I had similar problem last month and ran new pipe on surface. Looks crap but no choice.

Search By

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:36 pm

My semi D had exterior pipes. I could never figure out why they went to all that trouble when it was clear where the break was.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:29 am

You can buy skirting boards that are in fact UPVC shells. They can take internal pipework, and they're paintable too.

Google/Image search on ... 'skirting boards hide pipes'

Or even simpler, pipe covers... as they make it far more visually discreet, and take away the dust-magnet nature of surface pipes and their clip fixings.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/double-pipe-c ... of-4/79354

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 3:05 pm

So surprisingly landlord let us break the lease without keeping our deposit. Probably because i detailed everything with picture evidence, email trails and detailed timeline...

In any case, they will give us our deposit back, but they asked us to bear the pro-rated commission for agent fee. Is this normal?? it would be about $2600+

From one of the clause in my TA (Reimbursement of commission for premature termination) is borne by tenant, but in this case I can't agree we are liable for this when it was NOT our choice to prematurely break the lease. If the apartment continued to be rented in good condition as promised, we would not be leaving. This is supported by the fact that we have renewed the lease for two more years, right before problems started to crop up...

Do you think we have a case here?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 5:14 pm

amarettoSour wrote:So surprisingly landlord let us break the lease without keeping our deposit. Probably because i detailed everything with picture evidence, email trails and detailed timeline...

In any case, they will give us our deposit back, but they asked us to bear the pro-rated commission for agent fee. Is this normal?? it would be about $2600+

From one of the clause in my TA (Reimbursement of commission for premature termination) is borne by tenant, but in this case I can't agree we are liable for this when it was NOT our choice to prematurely break the lease. If the apartment continued to be rented in good condition as promised, we would not be leaving. This is supported by the fact that we have renewed the lease for two more years, right before problems started to crop up...

Do you think we have a case here?
not a very good case, i think... considering you're 1) being allowed to break your lease 2) getting your deposit back...

that clause doesn't spell out the details of"no fault" on either/any side, i'd think...

why not ask the LL to go halfsies? and ask to see the dated receipt before you pay out anything...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 9:08 pm

Yeah. I figured as much :( guess we just have to shell out the money the

I will ask for receipt. Good idea!