Singapore Expats

PR chances for Scientist

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pappuu

PR chances for Scientist

Post by pappuu » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:04 pm

We are thinking about applying for PR after 3 years with the following profile:

Me: 30 yrs, Indian, PhD from Germany working in top govt research institute on drug discovery since ~2.5 years, 7k+/month

Wife: 30 yrs, EU citizen, married 2+ yrs, working in private company, no kids

An experienced local was saying that I have good chances of getting PR since I can contribute to the economy with intellectual property in the knowledge based economy. He said that he knows several people in my field with much worse profile and quite old who obtained PR and citizenship. I am wondering if we have any chance.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:07 pm

I'd say your chances are very good. For Singapore, IP is the life blood of the future as manufacturing moves away to cheaper labor pools, and especially since pharma is one of the stated pillars for future development.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 4:49 pm

i'd say your chances are not bad but they can only improve if you continue to work with them. do you need SPR asap?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

pappuu

Post by pappuu » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 7:37 pm

taxico wrote:i'd say your chances are not bad but they can only improve if you continue to work with them. do you need SPR asap?
Let me know how long you suggest to wait?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 11:29 pm

pappuu wrote:
taxico wrote:i'd say your chances are not bad but they can only improve if you continue to work with them. do you need SPR asap?
after seeing your profile and noticing your country of origin, my original reply actually included something like:
Stuff I wrote: singapore's not really keen on retaining as many 7k/month "scientists" as possible so you're far from a shoo-in... and i assume you know about The Great Purge in the agency not so long ago... your chances would be better once you've worked your way up the food chain...
but i deleted that paragraph because i wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt... what with your german PhD and "scientist" moniker and all... then i saw your thread about starting a company...

all bets are off at this point (for me anyway). good luck! coz you'll need it!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:41 am

pappuu wrote:
At least 3 tax assessments is the rule of thumb. Giving it an extra year can't hurt. If you're planning to have children, having a boy will really help.

pappuu

Post by pappuu » Sat, 30 Aug 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks. Did you mean I should apply after getting promoted to a higher position or becoming a professor in a university or something?

I realized that having PR or citizenship will make my life easier and help me to get promoted and have stable job (I have seen many examples of that). Locals will be the first to keep the job in case of budget cuts even with worse KPI which keeps me worried about the future despite having excellent KPI.

Foreigners seem to have not much value here: no CPF, visa expires within a month after EP expiry etc. and I am not able to apply for many positions or fellowships meant for locals.

I am already here for a while and I will have to start everything from scratch if I move to a another developed country which is not hard given that many countries want to have experienced scientists.
taxico wrote:
pappuu wrote:
after seeing your profile and noticing your country of origin, my original reply actually included something like:
Stuff I wrote: singapore's not really keen on retaining as many 7k/month "scientists" as possible so you're far from a shoo-in... and i assume you know about The Great Purge in the agency not so long ago... your chances would be better once you've worked your way up the food chain...
but i deleted that paragraph because i wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt... what with your german PhD and "scientist" moniker and all... then i saw your thread about starting a company...

all bets are off at this point (for me anyway). good luck! coz you'll need it!