Singapore Expats

Salary reduced whiteout new contract

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
marco1234

Salary reduced whiteout new contract

Post by marco1234 » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:50 pm

Good evening everyone,

I'm working since 2 months in Singapore (with EP) and my owner told me few weeks ago he wanted to reduce my salary of 20 % because it was too high, I just listened to him and did not agree or sign anything and started to look for something else (not really about the money but many promesses work wise were not respected ).

I had a meeting with him today explaining I probably found a new job and wanted to resign with a written letter, he asked me to send it by email which is fine.

My issue is when I asked about my salary he told me he will pay me full amount from 1st to 19 of this month and the reduced salary for next month ( I have 1 month notice even in probation ) I told him I was not ok with it and didn't signed anything but he said it will be like that and no other way end of the discussion.

First I don't have any explanation reason why he decide to reduce from the 19th and I do not think it's fair as I didn't sign anything and really sweated a lot for this work for to do 44hours a week.

I know I could go to the MOM office but what will happen next ? Even if I'm right the coming month at work would be terrible and I'm pretty sure I would have a very hard time... I would have preferred a gentleman agreement but I know there is not discussion possible regarding my case.

What would you recommend to me, only option is to go to the MOM or is there anyway to finish earlier and get for example 2 weeks paid and terminated ? I was also thinking to offer to leave 1 week earlier with this full "cutted salary" which would compensate the lost of the next 40 days.

Thanks in advance for your advice

{restored by moderator - tks ZZM}
Last edited by marco1234 on Sun, 24 Aug 2014 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 1:08 am

How much is your salary? MOM will only help you if your salary was 2,000/month or less. Anything over and you would need to just take him to court. If you found a new job it probably isn't worth it.
I'm working since 2 months in Singapore (with EP) and my owner
I'm guessing English isn't your first language. This statement implies that you've been working since you were two months old and that you're a slave. We don't normally call our bosses our "owner". :lol:

marco1234

Post by marco1234 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 1:42 am

Hi ZZ,

Yes my salary is higher, after talking with some people I know here, I will just propose him to finish one week earlier (which he will have to pay as normal).

For the First language you are right, thanks for the correction, but sometime I'm thinking I might be his slave so not so wrong in the end :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 3:04 am

Thanks for being a jerk and erasing your post once you got what you wanted. Luckily, Google cache had it. Quoting it for eternity.
Good evening everyone,

I'm working since 2 months in Singapore (with EP) and my owner told me few weeks ago he wanted to reduce my salary of 20 % because it was too high, I just listened to him and did not agree or sign anything and started to look for something else (not really about the money but many promesses work wise were not respected ).

I had a meeting with him today explaining I probably found a new job and wanted to resign with a written letter, he asked me to send it by email which is fine.

My issue is when I asked about my salary he told me he will pay me full amount from 1st to 19 of this month and the reduced salary for next month ( I have 1 month notice even in probation ) I told him I was not ok with it and didn't signed anything but he said it will be like that and no other way end of the discussion.

First I don't have any explanation reason why he decide to reduce from the 19th and I do not think it's fair as I didn't sign anything and really sweated a lot for this work for to do 44hours a week.

I know I could go to the MOM office but what will happen next ? Even if I'm right the coming month at work would be terrible and I'm pretty sure I would have a very hard time... I would have preferred a gentleman agreement but I know there is not discussion possible regarding my case.

What would you recommend to me, only option is to go to the MOM or is there anyway to finish earlier and get for example 2 weeks paid and terminated ? I was also thinking to offer to leave 1 week earlier with this full "cutted salary" which would compensate the lost of the next 40 days.

Thanks in advance for your advice

marco1234

Post by marco1234 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 4:51 am

zzm, I did not get what I want, I just asked some friends advice and I just thought it would better to not have it public til my problem is solved with the company that's it. I don't mind to have it published later but if as you said I have to go to court or something similar it's always better to be careful I think, my apologies if you took it the wrong way.

When It will be solved I will share the results and how did it go as it can help some other persons, It's not my mentality to ask for advice and just fu** off then, apologies if you took it this way !

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 8:41 am

That's exactly what you did, posted for advice, and then ran away.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:02 pm

Initial post restored, with thanks to ZZM.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 8:05 pm

I would engage a lawyer and have a nasty letter written. You're suffering a breach of contract which is pretty easy to prove.