Singapore Expats

Singapore among the most sleep deprived cities

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 1:02 pm

I never take anything electronic to bed. I'm on the PC until I go to bed. I hit the bed and am usually asleep in a few minutes and my wife say the Hotel New World collapse wouldn't wake me. But I usually awake a few minutes before the alarm goes off at 6 am. (Nature's alarm usually does it).

So yeah, maybe that's correct about the frequency because if I take a break from the PC and go out and watch the TV, I'll be nodding in a few minutes. I've always associated that with the fact that I sort of lay down in a semi-prone position on a two-seater that is at a right angle to the TV. Would the frequency of light from a Plasma screen been all that much different?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 9:37 pm

I need at least 8 hours. But usually 7hours

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 7:15 pm

Two days ago, I fell asleep on the keyboard while typing a reply to this thread.
Yesterday, I was too tired to finish the post.
And today I cannot remember what I wanted to say.
Yawn!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 8:10 pm

^ Genuine lol! :lol:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 8:50 pm

I'm retired. Yesterday, I was tired. Today, I'm tired again.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:59 pm

I was in Bangalore a week ago, used to drive 50+ km a day visiting various places, stuck in grinding traffic most of the time, yet got home early and had a good 7-8 hours of sleep everyday.

This week back in Singapore,all I did today was go to boat quay and back and I'm dying of fatigue and exhaustion, there must be something in the air or atmosphere here that draining my life blood away.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 7:39 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:This week back in Singapore,all I did today was go to boat quay and back and I'm dying of fatigue and exhaustion, there must be something in the air or atmosphere here that draining my life blood away.
It's not in the air, it is in the liquids people drink in the boat quay area.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 8:28 am

x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:This week back in Singapore,all I did today was go to boat quay and back and I'm dying of fatigue and exhaustion, there must be something in the air or atmosphere here that draining my life blood away.
Yesterday, I had two coffees there and some Lebanese food.
But yes your theory holds good for drunk people though.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 9:37 am

x9200 wrote:
Kekeke.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:29 am

'Asian cities are renowned for their grueling work schedules and a recent study confirmed that Singaporeans are among the most likely to miss out on valuable shut-eye.'
-----------------------------------------------------

Do SGns have a 'gruelling' work schedule? I can't say I noticed that. Most of my colleagues were doing 8.30-5.30 so precisely you could set your watch by it.

Maybe instead they're enjoying the aircon, playing computer games, and avoiding going back to their home (often a cramped multi-generation unit)?

The JPnese do have a culture of working long hours. There it's all about considering others, being a team-player, and not letting your colleagues down (even if you aren't, and even if it means sitting there uselessly twiddling your thumbs... at least you're showing willing). They also often have really bad commutes, 2hrs each way is not at all uncommon. But they have a magic ability to sleep on their commute, and they also commonly sleep at their desk at lunchtime.

The work culture between SG and JP is so different I don't think a valid comparison can be made.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:32 am

envy those of you who are able to sleep at least 7 hours a day.
have not been sleeping for more than 2-3 hours each day since my first child was born!

i long for an uninterrupted sleep. :o