Singapore Expats

Referring You To The Latest Airline Recruitment Ad

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 4:52 pm

earthfriendly wrote:The downside of it is it makes them appear mercenary, unfriendly and xenophobic.
Well quite. That's the point I was trying to make earlier - regardless of what the actual policies may be, the image the country as a whole is projecting is veering towards 'foreigners not welcome'.
Be careful what you wish for

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:46 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
earthfriendly wrote:The downside of it is it makes them appear mercenary, unfriendly and xenophobic.
Well quite. That's the point I was trying to make earlier - regardless of what the actual policies may be, the image the country as a whole is projecting is veering towards 'foreigners not welcome'.
btw, I don't recall any 'national' airline in the region that employs foreigners, unlike SQ!!!

for a start ...

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:10 am

ecureilx wrote:btw, I don't recall any 'national' airline in the region that employs foreigners, unlike SQ!!!

for a start ...
Not quite sure what that has to do with my point about the perception being created about Singapore abroad, but since you mention it...

PILOT JOBS IN INDONESIA - Rishworth Aviation

Quote:

There are 12 jobs featured in PILOT JOBS IN INDONESIA [of which seven are with Garuda]

For foreign contract pilots living in Indonesia, Jakarta is the ideal base from which to explore and become engrossed in the city and wider Indonesia’s spectacular geographical and cultural diversity.

AFAIK, SQ have been reducing the number of foreign pilots over the past few years; not sure how many (if any) are left now. Certainly all the highly experienced Spanish / Latin American pilots we knew who used to fly with SQ moved to the Gulf to take up offers with Qatar Airways, etc. after their SQ contracts were not renewed.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:37 am

Mi Amigo wrote: Not quite sure what that has to do with my point about the perception being created about Singapore abroad, but since you mention it...
the original post was about CC, not pilots

now how many foreign CC work in TG, GA, PR, VN, KR .. ?? vs SQ?

I was just trying to point out the tone of the start of this thread was SQ's subsidiary MI is discriminating ... and was trying to figure how it can be seen as so ..

and vs SQ, MI rarely had foreign CC or I haven't seen them. unlike SQ having a lot of Malaysian and other Asean CC.

well, foreign pilots getting in and getting chucked out in favour of local pilots happen when there are sufficient local pilots, and SQ/MI has been steadily improving it's Cadet program for home grown pilots.

so has EK been doing and so has 9W been doing. and a lot of airlines.

local pilots = no Expat terms = less cost

is it discrimination to try to cut costs? unless ex pat pilots want to work on local terms, just asking for discussion sake

I don't see what the discrimination is, in the original post nor your referring to Indonesia / Rishworth (Rishworth is a air crew /pilot placement agency)

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 2:21 am

Whoosh.... Whoa there!

Yes, the original post was about cabin crew, not pilots. But you quoted my more general comment about the 'foreigners not welcome' image, and then answered it by talking about national airlines in the region not employing foreigners - which wasn't really relevant to my general point, but I responded to it anyway.

As to your other points, I don't disagree with all of them (and have no idea what the ratio of foreign cabin crew is in various airlines), but I still think that the tone of the advert highlighted by SE does project a discriminatory image. If they'd said something like 'Preference will be given to Singaporean / PR candidates', that would have been a softer way of expressing it. But subtlety isn't normally one of Singapore's strong points I guess. In any case, I wonder whether PRs are also counted as 'foreigners' in the view of MI?

Anyway, what the hell. I'm outta here.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 3:13 am

I'm with the "Visa concerns make this a business decision" crowd. I'm sure the airline could figure those issues out so that anyone could join them and fly with them, but why bother? It's added effort and expensive. If the domestic labor pool can service their needs and they have no intention to hire foreigners due to this, might as well just save everyone the time and tell them to not apply.

Are we going to have posts about how foreigners can't apply for some government positions also?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 8:45 am

zzm9980 wrote:.
Are we going to have posts about how foreigners can't apply for some government positions also?
LOL!!!

Mi Amigo, those national airlines of near countries employ ZERO foreign CC.

that was my point. vs SQ that has a few CC (though we are talking here about SQ's subsidiary though)

because when you carry the national flag I wonder how it will be, to be served by a Indonesian, Filipino or Thai CC.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:25 am

ecureilx wrote:because when you carry the national flag I wonder how it will be, to be served by a Indonesian, Filipino or Thai CC.
What difference does it make? That's plain racist. Any PERSON, regardless of race or nationality, can provide quality service.

It's a bullshit assumption that a flag carrier can only use their own kind... who cares???

SuperiorMover

Re: Referring You To The Latest Airline Recruitment Ad

Post by SuperiorMover » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:36 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Blatant racism on the part of a Singapore company.

Hello reporters that hang out here... you think this is OK?

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra6 ... tml#698324
What do u mean by racism or do you understand the meaning of the word? When the job is for local and not foreigners, it is criteria based on nationality not race? Perhaps nationalistic is more appropriate. Singapore consists of many races, Chinese, Malay, Indian, Eurasian, etc. If it says the job only meant for Indian, perhaps racism is in place.

If you go Japan, isn't it quite normal their jobs only meant for Japanese? You don't even have a chance to see the ad as the ad would be in Japanese not to say about complaint of racism. :P

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 1:15 pm

SuperiorMover wrote:

What do u mean by racism or do you understand the meaning of the word? When the job is for local and not foreigners, it is criteria based on nationality not race? Perhaps nationalistic is more appropriate. Singapore consists of many races, Chinese, Malay, Indian, Eurasian, etc. If it says the job only meant for Indian, perhaps racism is in place.

If you go Japan, isn't it quite normal their jobs only meant for Japanese? You don't even have a chance to see the ad as the ad would be in Japanese not to say about complaint of racism. :P
One more person that misses the point. Why place any restrictions based on nationality, race, sex, orientation? Why shouldn't qualifications be based solely upon requirements for the job.

Just because other countries do it with impunity doesn't mean it's right.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 1:21 pm

SuperiorMover,

I guess you also think the HDB housing policy isn't racism either. It's government sanctioned racism, regardless of the reasons why, racism, even if well intended, is still racism and is wrong.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
SuperiorMover wrote:

One more person that misses the point. Why place any restrictions based on nationality, race, sex, orientation? Why shouldn't qualifications be based solely upon requirements for the job.

Perhaps the requirement is just "Singapore passport" phrased differently than you expect?

Maybe when SQ or MI open up domestic routes you'll see them hire foreigners for cabin crew :D

SuperiorMover

Post by SuperiorMover » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
SuperiorMover wrote:

Why not place restriction based on nationality? We need to give priority to people who are citizens who defend this country. Why give priority to people who are free riders after the place is built? Why don't ask why give pioneer generation package? Why not give to foreigners.

No racial discrimination because all races are equal part of Singaporeans. But not all nationality are part of Singapore. Simple logic.

SuperiorMover

Post by SuperiorMover » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:12 pm

For airlines, nationality is important because of language ability especially Singaporeans have mixture of languages/dialects such as English, Mandarin, Malay, Tamil, Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochew, Hainanese, etc. Foreigners don't grasp that communication skill of such diverse language spectrum to certain routes.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:50 pm

Any chance when we are talking about airlines we can call them by their name and not their 2 character call sign or whatever the terminology is.

I havent a clue what almost all of the 2 character call signs mentioned are.

:shock: :shock: :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!