Singapore Expats

Guidelines to local driving patterns (motorcycle focused)

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by singapore eagle » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:37 pm

What do they say about one people separated by a common language? Us Brits call the lane nearest the hard shoulder the 'inside lane' and the lane nearest the central reservation is the 'outside lane'.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 12:06 am

Great post, and I agree with the sentiment. If one rides defensively and pays attention, these common situations are very easy to identify and avoid.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 12:49 am

singapore eagle wrote:What do they say about one people separated by a common language? Us Brits call the lane nearest the hard shoulder the 'inside lane' and the lane nearest the central reservation is the 'outside lane'.
"Outside" of what? :shock: 8-)

Quite strange, mate but at least we've got that sorted.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 12:53 am

One other thing... if you see a motorbike rider behaving like an idiot, you can probably safely bet that his license plate will begin with a 'J'... it's not all but a large percentage.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 7:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
singapore eagle wrote:What do they say about one people separated by a common language? Us Brits call the lane nearest the hard shoulder the 'inside lane' and the lane nearest the central reservation is the 'outside lane'.
"Outside" of what? :shock: 8-)
Quite strange, mate but at least we've got that sorted.
Outside the rest of the traffic going in that particular direction?

[I suppose if you consider the slow and middle lanes the normal lanes, and the 3rd/fast lane for overtaking, then the 3rd is 'outside'.]

If I try and explain it seems confusing to me. But no less confusing than considering it the other way around too. I suppose it is just how it is :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:46 am

SE sees the road from a helicopter perspective which include lanes of traffic going different directions. if a road had only a centre double line and two lanes of traffic in each direction, then the two lanes going in opposite directions beside the double line dividing the four lane roadway would both be the inside lanes when look at the total roadway.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 1:55 pm

^ It makes sense from that perspective.

Thx

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular

Post by stuckmojo » Tue, 23 Sep 2014 9:18 am

I just clocked 10,000km of riding a 1,700CC motorcycle in Singapore. Although the residents' driving style took a while to get used to, I don't feel it's particularly bad at all. (Mind you I was born in Italy)

Like anywhere else, if you are on a motorcycle you should assume you are invisible to traffic and ride defensively, and sometimes use the agility of the 2-wheeler to your advantage.

josephrohdes221

Post by josephrohdes221 » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 3:35 pm

I like the information very much here about the guidelines given about driving pattern. Each and every detail is explained well with the help of pictures about what to do or not to do during the driving. Also such a information is very much necessary to drive the vehicle well and help to avoid any penalty from traffic police there also.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 3:48 pm

^^^ Thanks for that massively insightful post. Hmmmm let's guess, you'll rack up a bunch of useless posts, and then stick your spam-link into the tag-line. Good luck with that plan hehhe...

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 7:42 pm

I hope the rhodes scholar is not banned... I really would like to see what he comes up with next.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 9:22 pm

'With all the pictures necessary. Pictures from all angles. Pictures and their angles. We all need angles. So it is good we have angles. When we have angles, we can see pictures, etc * 100. Typical spammers gibberish.

p.s. Ironically I once knew a Rhodes scholar, a schoolfriend, Greek. He was a dreadful bore too (years after school). Like every breath and word had to be something significant, striking, inspiring, if not to be laid down for history .... Jeez, zzzzz me out man!