Singapore Expats

New to the forum, not new to Singapore

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
Intermezzo

New to the forum, not new to Singapore

Post by Intermezzo » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:12 am

Hello everyone...

I am new to this Forum but I have been working in Singapore back in late 1990s, couple of years. Looks like I might be moving to Singapore soon again. I heard there are now many more expats there, also apparently there are many more my fellow Croatians... things must have changed a lot since I was there last time. I live in US (Florida) now and will have to adapt to Singapore way of life...

Well, just wanted to say hello to all... but any advise will be welcome. Cheers...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New to the forum, not new to Singapore

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:03 am

Intermezzo wrote:Hello everyone...

I am new to this Forum but I have been working in Singapore back in late 1990s, couple of years. Looks like I might be moving to Singapore soon again. I heard there are now many more expats there, also apparently there are many more my fellow Croatians... things must have changed a lot since I was there last time. I live in US (Florida) now and will have to adapt to Singapore way of life...

Well, just wanted to say hello to all... but any advise will be welcome. Cheers...
Hi Intermezzo, welcome to the forum!
I too did my first posting here in the mid/late 90s, and am now here on my 3rd!
It is an interesting question re: the proportion of expats. My first time I don't think I had time to notice or consider. I think if there is a change, it might be a willingness to move away (i.e. get priced out!) from the centre, i.e. D9/10/ to more peripheral areas. So you're seeing more condos sprouting up in what were previously 100% HDB estate areas. Five years ago if I went to the shops in the nearby 'zone 2' town centre, and saw another expat/whitey, it was rare enough that I'd tell my wife! Now on any given day that's normal, and they'll be 3-5+ (of 20-30 people) around the pool here. Yes, so it has changed...

You will perhaps simply have to adapt to how the more Zone 2 areas are now opened up to you. And you should consider costs. Do you want to live in D9/10 when you 'no longer have to'? The costs there are now what I'd call insane, and I used to live in D9.

First time here, my world extended from Raffles Place to the top end of Orchard, and that was it. To what extent have you been exposed to outlying areas? I'm thinking comfort zones, and realisation how the previously 'normal zone' has far extended...

p.s. You need to refresh yourself on the cost of living here. It wasn't cheap then, and it sure as hell is far worse now . Rent as always is the big one. Getting an appropriate rent allowance is a key for you.

What you might also notice is more high-end recreational facilities. In the 90s going for food or to the cinema was about the start and end of it for most. Now there are concert halls, exhibition galleries/space, outdoor concerts/events sponsored by the government, yacht clubs etc. I think the internet has enabled micro-communities to connect too. I might have felt like the only Brit in town back then, but I no longer need to.

You will also note the virtual absence of the ever-present 'GDR-style' (i.e. East German) paranoia that there was back then. There are still clear limits on free expression etc., but it is nothing like it used to be, the people are no longer living terrorised by constant fear ...

Intermezzo

Post by Intermezzo » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:48 am

Thanks JRB.

Before I sign any deal, I am planning to fly to SG and spend a week, to see how it is there. I have few other things to think of, a teenage kid, wife, dog, properties back in US and CRO... will have to check taxes, schools, and some other things.

Is 7K S$ per month housing allowance good enough? Have to check on that too...

Thanks again!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 12:21 pm

Hi IM,

We cobbled together a draft template 'starting point' for questions such as yours, a few months ago now. It tries to consider things holistically to arrive at suggested housing locations, from where it is then relatively simple to determine a budget, or tie it to a known budget.

Have a look at it and consider giving it a try... Hopefully the questions alone might help crystallise some thoughts for your relo.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic101985.html

The above is more Big-Bang than ad hoc, it tries to shake all the apples out of the tree in one go :wink: :)

Intermezzo

Post by Intermezzo » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 3:35 am

Thanks JRB, I will try this.