Singapore Expats

Referring You To The Latest Airline Recruitment Ad

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Referring You To The Latest Airline Recruitment Ad

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:03 am

Blatant racism on the part of a Singapore company.

Hello reporters that hang out here... you think this is OK?

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra6 ... tml#698324
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:13 am

Racism? I think it's more to do with wanting staff that can already work in Sg due to their resident status. Poorly worded, agreed.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:15 am

bgd wrote:Racism? I think it's more to do with wanting staff that can already work in Sg due to their resident status. Poorly worded, agreed.
Silkair flies to multiple countries... they have presence in multiple countries... what's the work permit issue if you were to hire a Malaysian in the Malaysian branch of the company?

Nah... Silkair wants to project an image... nothing more, nothing less.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:23 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
bgd wrote:Racism? I think it's more to do with wanting staff that can already work in Sg due to their resident status. Poorly worded, agreed.
Silkair flies to multiple countries... they have presence in multiple countries... what's the work permit issue if you were to hire a Malaysian in the Malaysian branch of the company?

The Silkair aircrew I know are all domiciled in Sg, so I'm giving them the benefit of doubt.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:33 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

and a singapore passport simplifies visa procedures ...

I am with bgd on this one!!!!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:51 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

and a singapore passport simplifies visa procedures ...

I am with bgd on this one!!!!
Sorry... what about all the PR's, DP's, LTVP+'s that could also easily qualify, either with no pass or a LOC?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:35 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:]

Sorry... what about all the PR's, DP's, LTVP+'s that could also easily qualify, either with no pass or a LOC?
from what I know air crew arent exempt from immigration requirements when they stopover

an SG passport eases that issue, unless Silk Air wants to recruit Europeans for an Asian Airline!!!

that what I meant ....

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:]

from what I know air crew arent exempt from immigration requirements when they stopover

an SG passport eases that issue, unless Silk Air wants to recruit Europeans for an Asian Airline!!!

that what I meant ....
Well, since Silk Air can carry FOREIGN passengers to all its destinations, one must wonder why Silk Air and its parent company, Singapore Airlines, can't figure out how to solve this problem.

Because... SQ certainly does recruit all over the place.

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_ ... tments.jsp

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:40 am

I think the word "Freelance" gives it away why Foreigners will not be eligible for these positions. These position will have no set hours, pay etc so how get a EP?

I actually applaud SQ/Silk Air for this initiative as this is aimed at former SQ/Silk Air cabin crew who previously left to have children and now have spare time to fly again, not full time but on an ad-hoc basis. A great idea

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 12:01 pm

Well, according to MoM its okay to have "Only Singaporeans" in the job ad, which is equivalent to "Foreigners need not apply"

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/press-r ... ements.pdf

So I guess its okay.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 4:53 pm

On the other hand, I think this does sum up the general image that the country is projecting these days; i.e. Singapore, Inc. - foreigners not welcome.
Be careful what you wish for

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 5:11 pm

More precisely, earlier it was a case of Singapore rolling the red carpet for all kinds of foreigners and they were desperate for numbers. Now they want it to be the other way round i.e. They think they are now on top of the world and foreigners should come begging to Singapore and then they choose whom they let it.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 5:19 pm

Wd40 wrote:More precisely, earlier it was a case of Singapore rolling the red carpet for all kinds of foreigners and they were desperate for numbers. Now they want it to be the other way round i.e. They think they are now on top of the world and foreigners should come begging to Singapore and then they choose whom they let it.
Which isn't really that different from other wealthy countries, they are all selective about who they want. Singapore is probably just more successful in controlling its borders than most.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:45 am

bgd wrote:
Wd40 wrote:More precisely, earlier it was a case of Singapore rolling the red carpet for all kinds of foreigners and they were desperate for numbers. Now they want it to be the other way round i.e. They think they are now on top of the world and foreigners should come begging to Singapore and then they choose whom they let it.
Which isn't really that different from other wealthy countries, they are all selective about who they want. Singapore is probably just more successful in controlling its borders than most.
+1 to this and WD40

mi amigo, vs a open door policy, this is not bad, compared to a closed door / tight regulation policy as in the nearby countries like MY, PH, ID ....

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 2:28 am

I can't comment about this recruitment ad as I am unfamiliar with the job market and immigration matters in SG.

Part of my family has been excluded from many of the "Singaporeans Only" events targeted at overseas Singaporeans. My kids could not participate in the Camp @ Home held in SG during summer intended to attract Singaporean kids residing overseas, reason being both parents of the child have to be Singaporean. It is a government subsidized program. My guess is that they probably feel that kids with stronger Singaporean heritage will have greater incentive to set root there.

They tend to be careful on how they allocate their fiscal resource. The downside of it is it makes them appear mercenary, unfriendly and xenophobic.