Singapore Expats

Book flight/Credit Card/not traveller

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Book flight/Credit Card/not traveller

Post by martincymru » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 4:32 pm

Friend travelling Sg - Manila. Pay with my Credit Card

Jetstar insist you go to airport with person travelling.

Tiger have all kinds of documents required for traveller to take to airport but don't insist on credit card holder being at airport in person.

Cebu Pacific - not sure, will check later.

It's a real pain !

Any advice appreciated.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Book flight/Credit Card/not traveller

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 4:42 pm

martincymru wrote:Friend travelling Sg - Manila. Pay with my Credit Card

Jetstar insist you go to airport with person travelling.

Tiger have all kinds of documents required for traveller to take to airport but don't insist on credit card holder being at airport in person.

It's a real pain !

Any advice appreciated.
It has been discussed before.

Jetstar will allow you to either (1) photocopy the front and back of the CC, attach a letter of indemnity as CC holder for the traveller and bring both on the day of departure, or (2) go to their Jetstar office few days before the flight and have it verified.

Cebu is very very inconsistent about this one, although they say that they want to see the CC and the holder must be present.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... sc-15.html

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 5:15 pm

Lynx,

Where is Jetstar office? Cannot locate on website.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 5:32 pm

I had this once with SQ as well. (Me travelling alone on wife's CC, or vice versa).

We went to their shop in IIRC Paragon/Orchard to ID/evidence ourselves in person and that resolved the requirement of both of us trekking all the way to Changi just for one of us to check in.

This was c5 years ago, so can't say whether it's still a possible option, in this way.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 7:34 pm

if memory serve me right, this was enforce after the pan am flight 103 in lockerbie, but not on all airline follow it.

SIA definitely check it a few years ago as i was call up to the check-in desk to check my credit card details for my wife's flight.

also on BA website when booking online flight, there's a tick box to enter more information if the pax is not the credit card holder.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 9:49 pm

It's a major pain in the arse and they all require an indemnity letter. I've had the same issues with SQ and MH when trying to fly a man from KL to the Philippines who did not have a credit card.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Book flight/Credit Card/not traveller

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:48 pm

martincymru wrote:.

It's a real pain !

Any advice appreciated.
yu need to provide a copy of the CC at check in, or better you accompany her (?) at check in

return is fine though

Jet star has refused travellers with even a copy of the CC, for SIN-MNL route

I would have just asked your friend to buy from Cebu pac GSA Pen travel...

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:49 pm

If you book on SQ there will be no issues and no further checks. Just make sure you use a local card with 2-factor authentication ("verified by visa, "mastercard securecode," etc.) and you're all set.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:57 pm

silkair too - no problems.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:00 pm

I had booked maid home flights twice on Cebu with CC and no issue.

I just booked jetstar sg-MNL and noticed this requirement so opted to pay via SAM instead. You save the credit card fee this way too so probably would've done it anyway.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:06 pm

Beeroclock wrote:I had booked maid home flights twice on Cebu with CC and no issue.

I just booked jetstar sg-MNL and noticed this requirement so opted to pay via SAM instead. You save the credit card fee this way too so probably would've done it anyway.
probably when the card holder name doesn't match the passenger 5J may ask.

actually PR fares are cheap at times and they don't bother with CC and stuff ...

for MNL/PH

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:16 pm

aster wrote:If you book on SQ there will be no issues and no further checks. Just make sure you use a local card with 2-factor authentication ("verified by visa, "mastercard securecode," etc.) and you're all set.
Since when... my experience on the SQ website was that it simply would not let me set up a non CC carrier on a flight. Good news if this has changed.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 2:02 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
aster wrote:If you book on SQ there will be no issues and no further checks. Just make sure you use a local card with 2-factor authentication ("verified by visa, "mastercard securecode," etc.) and you're all set.
Since when... my experience on the SQ website was that it simply would not let me set up a non CC carrier on a flight. Good news if this has changed.
I've been doing it for years, but on the other hand the surname always matched. But in general if you book it and need to input a special code sent to your mobile then SQ will treat that purchase as verified and showing the CC or filling out any additional paperwork will no longer be necessary.

Back in the day on their old site they handled things differently and you could sign an "electronic indemnity letter" to be able to make 3rd party bookings. I think they might only have offered it to those with status as I never saw the option until I qualified.

With regards to other airlines, BA always asks for the card even if you paid for the flight and you are checking in. Emirates doesn't check and allows you to book for relatives if the surname matches.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 2:15 am

aster wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
I've been doing it for years, but on the other hand the surname always matched. But in general if you book it and need to input a special code sent to your mobile then SQ will treat that purchase as verified and showing the CC or filling out any additional paperwork will no longer be necessary.

Back in the day on their old site they handled things differently and you could sign an "electronic indemnity letter" to be able to make 3rd party bookings. I think they might only have offered it to those with status as I never saw the option until I qualified.

With regards to other airlines, BA always asks for the card even if you paid for the flight and you are checking in. Emirates doesn't check and allows you to book for relatives if the surname matches.
Yes, this -^

SQ's systems is basically setup so that the credit card must be 'verified'. This can be done by doing the two-factor SMS auth while booking online, or by going to their office on the top of Orchard iON. Or, at the airport. The agent is prompted for the last four digits of your credit card. Their system will not let them proceed without it. I suppose it is possible you could give the traveller that and they could socially engineer the agent, but i never tried that.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 7:23 am

^^^^^^

OK - it's the two factor that is new... amazing that they actually got it working on their 'new' website.