Maid was Stealing

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Re: Maid was Stealing

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:44 pm

The Ref wrote:
Sergei82 wrote: 2) the maid did not pay any agency fee, so she was in much better position than other maids,
3) we used the maid for our house once a week, so we were paying her additional money as gratitude (she didn't work in mother-in-law's house on that day anyway), so this puts her even in better position than some other maids are in.
Bad news as I believe it is illegal to pay her (or even if unpaid) for her to clean your place if she is the maid of another person.
Someone I know a few years ago hired a part time maid through an agency, then hired her directly. I am unaware of how they got caught, but my acquaintance was fined around $8,000 for breaching employment laws as the maid was illegal.
She is a maid of my wife, staying mostly over in my mother-in-law place, not with us. Nothing illegal.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:06 pm

If she is registered to work at your MiL's place, by law she cannot clean your place. In fact, when all this came to a head around 10 years ago, it was because of just that AND employers who owned Mom & Pop shops where taking the maid to their store and working them there as well.

You can find yourself in a real can of worms if she is caught working an your address if it's not the address shown on her WP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 11:46 pm

Luckily, my wife is still registered at my MiL's place. Will keep in mind that working in other addresses is not allowed for maids, I didn't know that.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:25 am

bgd wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:
nakatago wrote: For completely different trust reasons...

...completely different reasons. :wink:
hahaha yes I know and I can confirm everyone has remained in their designated beds :wink:
I'm still hopeful there will be a good story or two in the future... :wink:
Already posted on SBF? :cool:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If she is registered to work at your MiL's place, by law she cannot clean your place. In fact, when all this came to a head around 10 years ago, it was because of just that AND employers who owned Mom & Pop shops where taking the maid to their store and working them there as well.

You can find yourself in a real can of worms if she is caught working an your address if it's not the address shown on her WP.
Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when I read the topic. I felt bad for Sergei though and didn't want to rub it in. If he went to the police he could just get in more trouble than it's worth for what was lost. Especially since I assume he has/will have a PR pending soon.

Sergei82 wrote:Luckily, my wife is still registered at my MiL's place. Will keep in mind that working in other addresses is not allowed for maids, I didn't know that.
Right, but where was the maid cleaning? She's only allowed to *work* in the location listed on her WP. That's all. Unless she's a PR.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 6:51 am

zzm9980 wrote:
bgd wrote:
Steve1960 wrote: hahaha yes I know and I can confirm everyone has remained in their designated beds :wink:
I'm still hopeful there will be a good story or two in the future... :wink:
Already posted on SBF? :cool:
Probably tumblr or blogspot. Is LiveJournal still a thing?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:27 am

nakatago wrote:Is LiveJournal still a thing?
Yes, for Russians.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:38 am

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:Is LiveJournal still a thing?
Yes, for Russians.

pst, Ukrainian!!!!!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:26 am

zzm9980 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If she is registered to work at your MiL's place, by law she cannot clean your place. In fact, when all this came to a head around 10 years ago, it was because of just that AND employers who owned Mom & Pop shops where taking the maid to their store and working them there as well.

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought when I read the topic. I felt bad for Sergei though and didn't want to rub it in. If he went to the police he could just get in more trouble than it's worth for what was lost. Especially since I assume he has/will have a PR pending soon.

Sergei82 wrote:Luckily, my wife is still registered at my MiL's place. Will keep in mind that working in other addresses is not allowed for maids, I didn't know that.
Right, but where was the maid cleaning? She's only allowed to *work* in the location listed on her WP. That's all. Unless she's a PR.
If helping me to wash dishes after I myself was cooking longer than 5 hours for everybody, including her, for Raya's open house is cleaning... :)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:34 am

Omitting non-important things (like futile attempt to talk to the maid and and try to make her feel guilty), we made a police report, wife's family stayed in my place with the maid to watch out for her. Unexpectedly police came at night and arrested the maid. They said it is to prevent her from running.

In any case, nobody hopes to get the money back. And btw, upon further careful check we found out she stole much more than we initially thought (some relatives are also victims)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:43 am

FDWs may only be deployed to work at another address if:

Their duties in their employer’s home includes looking after the employer’s young children or elderly parents; and
They are at the other address to continue their duty of looking after the employer’s young children or elderly parents.

- See more at: http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... Q5gMQ.dpuf
So basically walking a dog and doing shopping is also illegal.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:45 am

Sergei82 wrote:Omitting non-important things (like futile attempt to talk to the maid and and try to make her feel guilty), we made a police report, wife's family stayed in my place with the maid to watch out for her. Unexpectedly police came at night and arrested the maid. They said it is to prevent her from running.

In any case, nobody hopes to get the money back. And btw, upon further careful check we found out she stole much more than we initially thought (some relatives are also victims)
Perhaps I missed this point but what sort of proof do you have linking her to the missing stuff?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:49 am

Sergei82 wrote:Omitting non-important things (like futile attempt to talk to the maid and and try to make her feel guilty), we made a police report, wife's family stayed in my place with the maid to watch out for her. Unexpectedly police came at night and arrested the maid. They said it is to prevent her from running.

Sorry to hear that Sergei. Hope a raid on her room in your house (or your in-law's house) may turn up what remains from her stealing spree.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 3:29 pm

x9200 wrote:

Perhaps I missed this point but what sort of proof do you have linking her to the missing stuff?
She gave a written confession as well after some conversation. Twisted a lot of facts, then also managed to threaten that middle person remitting money to Indonesia, so that person disclosed all her suspicious transactions to us and to police. This maid does not have exceptional intellectual abilities. Police officer had to ask a question was she moonlighting (maybe) to remit that much money. She couldn't moonlight since she lived at home, even refused to have Sundays off for some additional payment. Besides, you don't moonlight for amount of money close to your annual salary...

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 4:13 pm

What normally happens with cases like this? Jail?