Singapore Expats

Living in JB and search for jobs in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
gulsh

Living in JB and search for jobs in Singapore

Post by gulsh » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 5:00 am

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to live in Malaysia, in JB, (after getting a Visa) and at the same time apply for job in Singapore and show up there for the interviews.
My question is:
1) can a person with a 90days malaysian visa go to singapore for one day for an interview and come back? And then maybe go there again after 1 week for another interview?

2) And also, can someone from JB visit Singapore 3-4 times per week if he has a friend there?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: Living in JB and search for jobs in Singapore

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 5:29 am

gulsh wrote:Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to live in Malaysia, in JB, (after getting a Visa) and at the same time apply for job in Singapore and show up there for the interviews.
My question is:
1) can a person with a 90days malaysian visa go to singapore for one day for an interview and come back? And then maybe go there again after 1 week for another interview?

2) And also, can someone from JB visit Singapore 3-4 times per week if he has a friend there?
Re: question 1. In principle this is possible, but... What nationality are you? You would obviously need to pass through immigration when entering Singapore, so depending on the answer to this question, you could either obtain a social visit pass (SVP) on arrival, or in some cases it would be necessary to apply for a visa beforehand.

Secondly, would the Malaysian visa be a multiple entry type? Or would you need to apply for another visa (either on arrival or in advance, depending on your nationality) each time you returned to JB?

Re: question 2. This would again depend to some extent on your nationality, but in general I would say this is not likely to be either advisable or successful on a long term basis. The Singapore immigration authorities (ICA) would quickly realise that you were not just coming into the country to do some sightseeing, etc.

If you do a search of this forum for "visa runs" you'll see that the general consensus is that it is a risky strategy. Obviously you'd be doing it kind of 'in reverse' but the net effect would be the same - the ICA are not daft and by all accounts they have sophisticated systems to pick up this kind of repeated behaviour.

If your real goal is to secure employment in Singapore, I would be very careful about not abusing the SVP system by continually entering and exiting the country. If you were able to secure a job offer, the next stage would be for your prospective employer to apply for an employment pass, at which time there would almost certainly be some kind of look-up done by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) of your entry / exit records. Keep in mind that all this stuff is linked up nowadays, so if you were marked down in the 'suspicious' category for any reason, this could impact the MOM's EP approval / denial decision.
Be careful what you wish for

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Living in JB and search for jobs in Singapore

Post by the lynx » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 9:46 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
gulsh wrote:Hi,

My question is:

Re: question 1. In principle this is possible, but... What nationality are you? You would obviously need to pass through immigration when entering Singapore, so depending on the answer to this question, you could either obtain a social visit pass (SVP) on arrival, or in some cases it would be necessary to apply for a visa beforehand.

Secondly, would the Malaysian visa be a multiple entry type? Or would you need to apply for another visa (either on arrival or in advance, depending on your nationality) each time you returned to JB?

Re: question 2. This would again depend to some extent on your nationality, but in general I would say this is not likely to be either advisable or successful on a long term basis. The Singapore immigration authorities (ICA) would quickly realise that you were not just coming into the country to do some sightseeing, etc.

If you do a search of this forum for "visa runs" you'll see that the general consensus is that it is a risky strategy. Obviously you'd be doing it kind of 'in reverse' but the net effect would be the same - the ICA are not daft and by all accounts they have sophisticated systems to pick up this kind of repeated behaviour.

If your real goal is to secure employment in Singapore, I would be very careful about not abusing the SVP system by continually entering and exiting the country. If you were able to secure a job offer, the next stage would be for your prospective employer to apply for an employment pass, at which time there would almost certainly be some kind of look-up done by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) of your entry / exit records. Keep in mind that all this stuff is linked up nowadays, so if you were marked down in the 'suspicious' category for any reason, this could impact the MOM's EP approval / denial decision.
^Everything he said.

I'd highly suggest that you line up your interviews first before coming over to Malaysia or Singapore. And be prepared to leave to your home country when your time is up. And no border hopping between Malaysia and Singapore, unless you're a Malaysian.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 10:11 am

My two ringgit worth of advice: If you are a Malaysian, Singapore citizen, PR, or EP, you can cross back and forth as much as you want. Both countries recognize that there is lots of cross border business traffic. You can get a special pass that allows you to bypass the immigration lines and go automated. I flew to KL and back at least weekly for 18 months without issue.

But, you are none of the above. You are from Italy, if your IP address is correct... therefore, you will be on a tourist visa for both countries, and your exceptional travel will raise red flags.

Singapore is well aware that it is a jumping off point for tourism, and thus, if you come to Singapore, then go to somewhere else, then come back, to go to yet another destination, no one takes a second look.

However, if you are a tourist, crossing back and forth over and over again, you will be flagged by Singapore. Why? You might be bringing contraband into the country on your 3 or 4 times a week trip. More likely, they'll think you are working illegally. Tourists just don't do this stuff. You may be able to convince an immigration officer that you are simply staying cheap in JB while job hunting in Singapore but don't count on it.

I don't see this as a realistic way to do things.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:18 am

From his nick, sounds like a south asian.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:21 am

You know a backpacker dorm bed in Little India is only $19 a night? Why risk it?

gulsh

Post by gulsh » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 6:17 pm

Georgia. So level 1 countries. What are my chance now?
Thanks for help.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 6:39 pm

gulsh wrote:Georgia. So level 1 countries. What are my chance now?
Thanks for help.
I'd have to say very low, if you are intending to try going in and out of Singapore from/to JB multiple times and/or every week for an extended time. I'd suggest you think about PNGMK's suggestion; i.e. look for a way to stay in Singapore for the duration of your first SVP, having firstly lined up interviews or at least meetings with some companies. Check out this thread for a discussion on using LinkedIn to find employment.

Not sure what the duration of an SVP would be in your case, but generally speaking you tend to get given more time if you fly in to Changi airport as opposed to coming across the causeway.
Be careful what you wish for

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Sat, 16 Aug 2014 11:35 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
gulsh wrote:Georgia. So level 1 countries. What are my chance now?
Thanks for help.
I'd have to say very low, if you are intending to try going in and out of Singapore from/to JB multiple times and/or every week for an extended time. I'd suggest you think about PNGMK's suggestion; i.e. look for a way to stay in Singapore for the duration of your first SVP, having firstly lined up interviews or at least meetings with some companies. Check out this thread for a discussion on using LinkedIn to find employment.

Not sure what the duration of an SVP would be in your case, but generally speaking you tend to get given more time if you fly in to Changi airport as opposed to coming across the causeway.
I used a similar strategy to the one the OP is asking about. Though I wasn't travelling on a European passport. I was in Singapore last October and November doing my job search. Between interviews I was travelling around the region sight-seeing, returning to Singapore for Job Interviews. My stays in Singapore were between a couple of days by bus to Malaysia to 5-9 days via Changi to farther destinations.

I didn't run into any problems but near the end of November, immigration officers went from silently stamping my passport to asking 2-3 simple questions along the lines of what I was doing in Singapore, how long I was staying this time and when I was headed back out. At that point my exits and entries were getting more frequent as I was getting more calls backs during final interviews for a couple of different companies.

I'm not sure how much longer I would have been able to keep this up and during my last 2 trips it was starting to cross my mind that I should probably stay in Singapore and stop the frequent border crossings.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 16 Aug 2014 12:03 pm

Cool story, Brian! I am sure there are plenty of expats who started this way. i.e. came to Singapore on 90 days SVP and then travelled around the region and found a job here. I always look at Linked In and see people with prior experience in European countries and then suddenly recent experience in Singapore. I always wondered, how did they manage to find a job here. Now I get it. :)