Singapore Expats

Extra rent for family visitors

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
abhinavbom

Extra rent for family visitors

Post by abhinavbom » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 7:35 pm

I have a room in a shared condo. As per Singapore standards how much extra do I need to pay per person visiting to my place for a short time.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Extra rent for family visitors

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 7:42 pm

abhinavbom wrote:I have a room in a shared condo. As per Singapore standards how much extra do I need to pay per person visiting to my place for a short time.
seriously that's between you and your landlord / co tenants

some will say OK, some will double your rent ;) ;)

what standards again?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:08 pm

Also, be able to prove they are your close relatives, else if you neighbours complain to either URA or HDB (URA if it's a condo) and it's found that you are letting out rooms to not relatives then you gonna get a whopping big fine as it's illegal.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

abhinavbom

Post by abhinavbom » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:17 pm

ecureilx wrote:
abhinavbom wrote:I have a room in a shared condo. As per Singapore standards how much extra do I need to pay per person visiting to my place for a short time.
seriously that's between you and your landlord / co tenants

some will say OK, some will double your rent ;) ;)

what standards again?
My landlord is asking for 40 per person per day. Is it reasonable ? Any standard rate followed across SG ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:23 pm

Sound to me like the LL just wants you to change your name to Ben Dover.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:58 pm

My landlord is asking for 40 per person per day. Is it reasonable ? Any standard rate followed across SG ?
$1200/mo, to have a relative stay for a day or two. Your LL sounds like a right ass.

p.s. Take it as BIIIIIG advance warning he's going to try and eff you on your flat deposit ..... hellllllloooo!!!!!

---- p.s. The reckless side of me, would be inclined to enjoy destroying the flat .... bwahahhahaha. I mean this is all a game right? Singaporeans have a culture of 'must win'. Oh look, I do too!! What fun!! Bwahahahaha?

abhinavbom

Post by abhinavbom » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:51 pm

JR8 wrote:
$1200/mo, to have a relative stay for a day or two. Your LL sounds like a right ass.

p.s. Take it as BIIIIIG advance warning he's going to try and eff you on your flat deposit ..... hellllllloooo!!!!!

---- p.s. The reckless side of me, would be inclined to enjoy destroying the flat .... bwahahhahaha. I mean this is all a game right? Singaporeans have a culture of 'must win'. Oh look, I do too!! What fun!! Bwahahahaha?
HaHa..my relative is coming for a week only so fortunately I need to pay 280..plus rent 1500...I still think its over priced.
Any idea what should be the nominal charge. any standard rate followed in Singapore?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:03 am

Maybe the landlord just doesn't want the extra people in the unit so he is charging a punitively high rate to try and convince you to stick them in a hotel instead. I can't say I blame him. If I rented a room in a condo I wouldn't want multiple people staying in it.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:20 am

If extra rent is not in your lease agreement, why should you pay anything?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:34 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
+1. Why even engage with the LL? Or is your LL in the same apartment? I guess in that case you need to come up with an agreement.

abhinavbom

Post by abhinavbom » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:35 am

PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
+1. Why even engage with the LL? Or is your LL in the same apartment? I guess in that case you need to come up with an agreement.
The LL stays in the same app..The agreement says "foreign reltives allowed and extra charged to be discussed by the owner".

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 7:18 am

abhinavbom wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: If extra rent is not in your lease agreement, why should you pay anything?
The LL stays in the same app..The agreement says "foreign reltives allowed and extra charged to be discussed by the owner".

There you go. You should have gotten that rate into the lease before you signed if you were concerned it might be higher than you feel is fair.

If you couldn't tell, I'm actually on the side of the landlord here. You're renting a room in a condo, not a complete unit. It's well within the landlord's rights to designate a maximum occupancy on that room, and he is obliged by law to ensure everyone who resides in his residence is legally entitled to be in Singapore. It's a headache for him, and he could have very easily just said "no". The price he's quoting you is still cheaper than even a Hotel81 in Geylang.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 9:25 am

Just for you to know, my landlady lets my visiting family and friends stay for free, as long as they want, and as long as there is not too many of them. Provided I let her know in advance. And she lives with me.

It all depends between you and your landlord. If the agreement says so, then you're effed. If you can find a hotel room that charges cheaper than that for a one week stay, ditch that arrangement.

Edited: Grammar Nazi :P
Last edited by the lynx on Fri, 15 Aug 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 9:36 am

the lynx wrote:Just for you to know, my landlady lets my visiting family and friends stay for free, as long as they want, and as long as they are not too many of them. Provided I let her know in advance. And she lives with me.

It all depends between you and your landlord. If the agreement says so, then you're effed. If you can find a hotel room that charges cheaper than that for a one week stay, ditch that arrangement.
the only place cheaper are the dorms ;) no, not those for workers but the many that have popped up for backpackers, backpacker hostels?

~20 a day for a bed