Singapore Expats

Mega Dorms for Foreign Workers...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Mega Dorms for Foreign Workers...

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 3:00 pm

Just been reading that the Govt is building a couple of Mega Dorms in Singapore for foreign workers.
One almost complete for 16000 & one to be constructed for 20000.

They sound like they are going to have quite a lot of amenities that would seem to be aimed that them staying in the compound and not getting out and about much, sort of prison+++

Is this the way to go?

My view is, I hope.they have some riot police ready.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 4:02 pm

Little India will be quieter :)

The local population will be happy, won't have to mix with the hired help.

If the facilities are good then perhaps the workers won't mind either, particularly if it's better than their current accommodation. I guess it really depends how they run these dorms, easy to get it wrong.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 5:30 pm

bgd wrote:Little India will be quieter :)

The local population will be happy, won't have to mix with the hired help.

If the facilities are good then perhaps the workers won't mind either, particularly if it's better than their current accommodation. I guess it really depends how they run these dorms, easy to get it wrong.
Barnsley, there are a few dorms around and none seem to have riot police on standby :P

bgd, the other dorm operators are doing a great job, and dorms don't mean the workers will be locked in

little India may become quite but not totally as after all the dorm as well as the existing ones don't have the mosques, temples and churches of little India plus the cheap grocery / vegetable shops of LI :)

from what I read the plan is to 'encourage' the workers to reduces outings and not to force it like some middle east countries.

Ps. some locals have suggested that 'all foreigners' be housed in dorms/offshore islands .. wishful thinking ...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 6:44 pm

ecureilx wrote: from what I read the plan is to 'encourage' the workers to reduces outings and not to force it like some middle east countries.
It starts that way, but then will progress to draconian measures. Mark my words. Give them an inch they will feel like they can then take the whole mile. Typical. That is why Subcontinentals like Singapore so much, they think alike, give an inch, take a mile. ;-) Heck, Wd40 will tell you that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:06 am

Curious, where are the 'megadorms' located?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:27 am

zzm9980 wrote:Curious, where are the 'megadorms' located?
Article in the bird cage liner... try this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=singapore%27s+biggest+dormitory

and you will get the article.

There are already some large scale dorms in Singapore.

http://foreignworkerdormitory.com/workers-dorms

and a bunch of others.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... mitory.pdf

The last two in this list are under construction... maybe referencing these 'megadorms'?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ecureilx wrote: from what I read the plan is to 'encourage' the workers to reduces outings and not to force it like some middle east countries.
It starts that way, but then will progress to draconian measures. Mark my words. Give them an inch they will feel like they can then take the whole mile. Typical. That is why Subcontinentals like Singapore so much, they think alike, give an inch, take a mile. ;-) Heck, Wd40 will tell you that.
+2 Mega-ghettos in a decade. I'm sometimes surprised I don't have to send our FDW off to one every evening.

While I know the problems of housing a lot of foreign workers is not easily overcome I could have thought the current work around of housing them in un-used (or slated for enbloc development) HDB to be a far better idea.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 7:38 am

WHERE THEY WILL BE

Nine new dormitories will be built over the next two years, providing nearly 100,000 extra beds for foreign workers.

Woodlands Avenue 10
Capacity: 4,100

Pulau Punggol Timor
Capacity: 4,000

Pulau Punggol Timor
Capacity: 14,000

Admiralty Road West
Capacity: 9,000

Tuas South Avenue 1
Capacity: 16,800

Tuas South Street 15
Capacity: 12,800

Tuas South Street 13
Capacity: 9,200

Sungei Tengah, along Old Choa Chu Kang Road
Capacity: 25,000

Mandai Road
Capacity: 2,000

Total: 96,900 beds

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 9:05 am

PNGMK wrote:
+2 Mega-ghettos in a decade. I'm sometimes surprised I don't have to send our FDW off to one every evening.

While I know the problems of housing a lot of foreign workers is not easily overcome I could have thought the current work around of housing them in un-used (or slated for enbloc development) HDB to be a far better idea.
you remember the hoo ha for the serangoon gardens dorms? though the govt went ahead and put the dorm there, despite cries of possible rise in crime because of 'workers', after rounds of consultations ... those were the days the govt did what is right, even after listening to public opinion :evil: :evil: and the dreaded rise in crime rate didn't happen ;) ;)

btw, the locations of the dorms listed are 'far' from civilization!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 9:19 am

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

you remember the hoo ha for the serangoon gardens dorms? though the govt went ahead and put the dorm there, despite cries of possible rise in crime because of 'workers', after rounds of consultations ... those were the days the govt did what is right, even after listening to public opinion :evil: :evil: and the dreaded rise in crime rate didn't happen ;) ;)

btw, the locations of the dorms listed are 'far' from civilization!!!
Yes, and that was the major reason that the PAP lost Aljunied GRC to the WP in the 2011 GE. The Gardens is part of Aljunied.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 9:34 am

I've seen some mega-dorms in Jurong East and Tuas area and some of them are really nice.

Even nicer than those dingy HDBs that cheap, loan-shark infested landlords try to rent out to feed his addiction, while scheming to cheat yet another gullible foreign tenant for good faith deposit or rental deposit.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 9:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:]

Yes, and that was the major reason that the PAP lost Aljunied GRC to the WP in the 2011 GE. The Gardens is part of Aljunied.
ouch!!!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:14 am

the lynx wrote:I've seen some mega-dorms in Jurong East and Tuas area and some of them are really nice.

Even nicer than those dingy HDBs that cheap, loan-shark infested landlords try to rent out to feed his addiction, while scheming to cheat yet another gullible foreign tenant for good faith deposit or rental deposit.
:) someone is on the grumpy pills today.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 2:30 pm

Yep, I know the dorms lynx it talking about as I work in the middle of them on Toh Guan Road East! The new ones aren't too shabby at all. In fact, Toh Guan Road East is almost like a foreign worker estate as the restaurants are specifically catering to the culinary likes of the dorm inhabitants, etc. And early monday mornings it looks just like Circular road in the aftermath of a holiday weekend. :lol:

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 2:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:And early monday mornings it looks just like Circular road in the aftermath of a holiday weekend. :lol:
Littered with Pinays? :cool: