Singapore Expats

Malaysian motorcycle tolls rising

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
bgd
Manager
Manager

Malaysian motorcycle tolls rising

Post by bgd » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:06 am

"Motorcycle tolls will be revised to RM24.90, more than five times the current fee."

The above was pulled from one of the rags - it's referring to the toll paid by bikes entering Johor. LTA have said they will match any increase so imagine the impact on all the Malaysian scooters that cross into Sg daily.

I guess we'll see how long this lasts. As a regular visitor to Malaysia I'm going to have rethink my weekends. I can only see Malaysians being the losers here.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Malaysian motorcycle tolls rising

Post by the lynx » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:28 am

bgd wrote:"Motorcycle tolls will be revised to RM24.90, more than five times the current fee."

The above was pulled from one of the rags - it's referring to the toll paid by bikes entering Johor. LTA have said they will match any increase so imagine the impact on all the Malaysian scooters that cross into Sg daily.

I guess we'll see how long this lasts. As a regular visitor to Malaysia I'm going to have rethink my weekends. I can only see Malaysians being the losers here.
The whole tit-for-tat game is really childish. Even more so for Malaysia government. Whatever bait Singapore government is waving at them, they have most certainly fallen for it!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Malaysian motorcycle tolls rising

Post by bgd » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:47 am

the lynx wrote:
The whole tit-for-tat game is really childish. Even more so for Malaysia government. Whatever bait Singapore government is waving at them, they have most certainly fallen for it!
At the expense of their own people, I don't understand it either.

I suspect it will be short lived, a bit like the time they banned Sg cars from buying petrol a few years back. The damage to the local economy made them rethink.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 1:08 pm

It doesn't seem like this has happened for motorcycles. I crossed over on Sunday and tolls were the same. I know they changed for other vehicles on 1 Aug.

Hoping that somewhere someone saw sense and canned the proposed increase - or is there something waiting in the wings?

luminicious

Post by luminicious » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 2:49 pm

I just entered on Sunday morning. And there was no toll... I crossed at Woodlands..

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 2:57 pm

Really? There is at Tuas.

Leaving and entering Sg is 50 cents each way and about 70 cents each way at the Malaysian end.

I've only ever crossed at Woodlands once long ago (by mistake) and I can't remember whether I paid tolls or not then.

luminicious

Post by luminicious » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:20 am

Yeap Tuas is the only one that takes toll for bikes... no tolls for bikes. Just went in last night :P

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:25 am

I guess they are still paying for the building of the 2nd link then.

As much as paying no tolls is attractive, the Tuas crossing is much better for me and, from what I understand, much less busy than Woodlands.

What time did you cross and what were the queues like? I generally only travel weekends so haven't experienced the weekday rush.

luminicious

Post by luminicious » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 2:03 pm

Woodlands checkpoint is hectic at most of the times except for the wee hours 1am to 4am.

So basically
As a rider I would avoid times from 6pm to 11pm to enter into Malaysia. The jam is crazy and you will have your 'eggs' boiled up. I arrived at 1045pm last night and I was stuck in the middle of the bridge. Wouldn't recommend if you have a faint heart cus Malaysian bikes would just cut here and cut there. Cleared both customs by 1200am. TBH, it's the Singapore side which is taking up all the time. Anyways, it seems to be alright only on Sundays when there isn't much of a bike jam.