Singapore Expats

Food and Utensils

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Food and Utensils

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 10:59 pm

MOD NOTE: Thread split off from http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html

Indians are notorious for speaking in alien tongues among themselves esp when there is a majority of one too many speakers of that tongue in that group.
however outside of India, I've noticed they stick to English. if it does happen abroad usually the conversation is in Hindi.

I'm posting from Bangalore right now, I've noticed more and more people adapting to chopsticks here, 5 years ago, one had to request for a pair, now they are at every table.
On this very topic about cutlery, I am cool with using an weapon of choice when attacking the food, noodles can be eaten with a fork if they can't be eaten with chopsticks, I have seen people in Singapore eat roti parata with a fork and spoon and I can't seem to work out this amusing choice for eating something that should be eaten with hands.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:26 pm

Probably similar to eating French Toast. You don't normally pick up French Toast to eat, but use a knife & fork. I use me fingers with roti or curries (if forced to eat rice), but use at least a fork when eating murtabak. Curries normally fingers & French loaf.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 2:23 am

Just curious if WD40 has visited Hong Kong yet. We had a thread like this maybe six months ago and I remember questioning his strong 'opinions' and he admitted that, he had never been to Hong Kong and his opinions were formed solely based on what he's read and his friend told him. :)

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 5:54 am

But he has been to Sydney - and he even went on a bus there! :P
Be careful what you wish for

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 7:02 am

Barnsley wrote:
x9200 wrote:[..]I could never understand how somebody living few good years in Singapore can not use chopsticks. We go out with some colleagues for a lunch, eat the same food in a Chinese restaurant and only Indians have problem with the utensils. It is not really a bad thing, just odd, Personally, I would be embarrassed. But this is a bit digressing from the topic.
If you are not an eater of noodles then why would you ever use chopsticks.

I have some colleagues who cant use a knife and fork , I just put it down to never eating anything where a knife and fork would be required.
Because this is a nice part of the culture and the whole Chinese dining process/ritual is a bit designed to use the chopsticks. If one decides to take part in it, it would seem natural to learn some basic skills, especially they are not that difficult to learn. It is a part of the eating etiquette.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 7:04 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I have seen people in Singapore eat roti parata with a fork and spoon and I can't seem to work out this amusing choice for eating something that should be eaten with hands.
I do it but only because I don't have tissue to clean my hands with or I'm just lazy to clean up afterwards. I'm just not a eat-with-hands person unless I'm at home.

And about Indians' desensitized tongues: it can be quite amusing when an Indian has no choice but to eat Japanese food.

About chopsticks: up to this day, I'm still wondering what was going on in the mind of the person who invented them. It's not really intuitive to learn and the guy must've had a hell of time convincing others to learn to use them.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 8:36 am

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I have seen people in Singapore eat roti parata with a fork and spoon and I can't seem to work out this amusing choice for eating something that should be eaten with hands.
I do it but only because I don't have tissue to clean my hands with or I'm just lazy to clean up afterwards. I'm just not a eat-with-hands person unless I'm at home.

And about Indians' desensitized tongues: it can be quite amusing when an Indian has no choice but to eat Japanese food.

About chopsticks: up to this day, I'm still wondering what was going on in the mind of the person who invented them. It's not really intuitive to learn and the guy must've had a hell of time convincing others to learn to use them.
Agreed on prata. Often it's just that I don't want my hands covered in grease and curry and then to have to wipe my hands on my pants. If it was easier to find sanitary wash basins or useful tissues in your average hawker center, this might be different.

Chopsticks make sense from a historic perspective. It was damn easier to construct those thousands of years ago than forks, spoons, or knives.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:03 am

nakatago wrote:

For prata I'll go with hands or fork and spoon. The decider is whether there is facility to wash my hands afterwards. Having greasy/curry-gravy fingers afterwards is not ideal.

I was struck by the use of the word 'should be eaten with hands' as it is surely just a social convention from the dishes country of origin.

On the same terms, you should only ever eat sushi with your fingers. And how one might (should? :)) laugh at the gaijin battling away with their chopsticks. You should also eat pieces of sushi in single mouthfuls, none of this prissy-gaijin holding it (hopefully/hopelessly) in chopsticks, whilst battling to bite half the piece off. You think the JPnese do such impossible things? :)

Chopsticks originated as cooking utensils, we have a pair, big buggers, about 18" long! Quite how they morphed into eating utensils instead of more practical/simple utensils is another matter, and beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-fYp_N9kX4
'You're Doing It All Wrong - How to (Properly) Eat Sushi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-o-2U1WXTk
'How to eat Sushi'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwIHtpgo0s
Japanese Culture: Learn How to Eat Sushi the Right Way!

Typically weird Japanese humour... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6v8IUe_0g
'How to eat at a Sushi Bar
Last edited by JR8 on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:18 am

JR8 wrote:On the same terms, you should only ever eat sushi with your fingers. And how one might (should? :)) laugh at the gaijin battling away with their chopsticks. You should also eat pieces of sushi in single mouthfuls
I'd still use chopsticks; sticky rice and longer reach!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:24 am

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:On the same terms, you should only ever eat sushi with your fingers. And how one might (should? :)) laugh at the gaijin battling away with their chopsticks. You should also eat pieces of sushi in single mouthfuls
I'd still use chopsticks; sticky rice and longer reach!
The irony is that if you ate sushi with your hands, most places outside of Japan, you'd probably be looked upon as some kind of freak.

Funny old world eh? :lol:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:36 am

zzm9980 wrote:Just curious if WD40 has visited Hong Kong yet. We had a thread like this maybe six months ago and I remember questioning his strong 'opinions' and he admitted that, he had never been to Hong Kong and his opinions were formed solely based on what he's read and his friend told him. :)

Waiting for my daughter to be slightly older, so that she can enjoy the disney land or until I get a job offer that is too good to refuse ;)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 9:46 am

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:

For prata I'll go with hands or fork and spoon. The decider is whether there is facility to wash my hands afterwards. Having greasy/curry-gravy fingers afterwards is not ideal.

I was struck by the use of the word 'should be eaten with hands' as it is surely just a social convention from the dishes country of origin.

On the same terms, you should only ever eat sushi with your fingers. And how one might (should? :)) laugh at the gaijin battling away with their chopsticks. You should also eat pieces of sushi in single mouthfuls, none of this prissy-gaijin holding it (hopefully/hopelessly) in chopsticks, whilst battling to bite half the piece off. You think the JPnese do such impossible things? :)

Chopsticks originated as cooking utensils, we have a pair, big buggers, about 18" long! Quite how they morphed into eating utensils instead of more practical/simple utensils is another matter, and beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-fYp_N9kX4
'You're Doing It All Wrong - How to (Properly) Eat Sushi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-o-2U1WXTk
'How to eat Sushi'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwIHtpgo0s
Japanese Culture: Learn How to Eat Sushi the Right Way!

Typically weird Japanese humour... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6v8IUe_0g
'How to eat at a Sushi Bar
My go-to for sushi know-how:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:34 am

I was told much the same about the proper way of using chopsticks all those years ago in VN where I learned from the locals. Best advice was " there is no right or wrong way of eating with chopsticks if you can get the food from the plate, bowl or common dish and into the mouth without dropping it. Some pairs of chopsticks actually have one pointed end and one flat ended stick, the better to pick up those pesky button and/or shitake mushrooms in the slipper slop and or picking up fish/meat balls. If you can pick up boiled peanuts one at a time and get it into the mouth, you can use chopsticks. I don't use the conventional grip but mine works fine for me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:54 am

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Just curious if WD40 has visited Hong Kong yet. We had a thread like this maybe six months ago and I remember questioning his strong 'opinions' and he admitted that, he had never been to Hong Kong and his opinions were formed solely based on what he's read and his friend told him. :)
Waiting for my daughter to be slightly older, so that she can enjoy the disney land or until I get a job offer that is too good to refuse ;)
Unexpected side-connection:
I visited Tokyo Disneyland, with colleagues from my office (all JP ladies (some uber-hot)). We had lunch there. I inadvertently left my chopsticks positioned into the bowl of ramen. Cue, mass horror/sharp intakes of breath/hands over mouth from the girls. 'Oh look at the gaijin! This is how you leave an offering of food at a grave. You can not do this!'.

A cultural minefield but very fun place none the less :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:02 am

Straw mushrooms, esp young one when like greased marbles, are the hardest thing on earth to eat with chopsticks...