Singapore Expats

Job offer in Singapore - should I take it?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 10:44 am

Addadude wrote:No direct experience myself but having spoken with colleagues who have lived an worked in both cities, it seems to break down as:

HK for younger, ambitious. career-minded singles who want to work and play equally hard.

SG for for married folks who want a healthier environment in which to raise their kids.
But SG is already known to be an expensive place to raise family and grow old. Pretty much defeats the purpose eh?

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:07 am

the lynx wrote: But SG is already known to be an expensive place to raise family and grow old. Pretty much defeats the purpose eh?
I was referring to the "classic expats" - people who have no real intention of settling down in their host country but are here for work/career reasons. So growing old and/or retiring here isn't a consideration.

And when it comes to kids, parents will sacrifice A LOT when it comes to insuring their children have as healthy an environment as possible to grow up in. HK with its notorious pollution probably doesn't meet that criteria.

In fact, most of the married expats I've spoken with told me that as singles they much preferred living and working in places like HK, Bangkok, Ho Chi Min and Jakarta. But once the nippers arrived, safe and sensible albeit boring and expensive Singapore became the destination of choice.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:15 pm

Pollution wise Singapore scores over HK, but its has to contend with haze and fires from the neighboring Indonesia.
Hk has seasons, Singapore doesn't, hk has a better transport system and more options for housing.
places like new territories are quite conducive to families and kids.
expats have options to stay in Macau too.
I see more advantages in HK somehow
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 2:09 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Pollution wise Singapore scores over HK, but its has to contend with haze and fires from the neighboring Indonesia.
Hk has seasons, Singapore doesn't, hk has a better transport system and more options for housing.
places like new territories are quite conducive to families and kids.
expats have options to stay in Macau too.
I see more advantages in HK somehow
As a bachelor wanting to rent a studio, you are right HK has better options. Singapore is better if you want a place of 2Br or more. HK is known for small match box size houses. The mickey mouse housing concept was prevalent in HK from quite a long time. Its only now that its coming to Singapore. I guess in few years time you will have enough mickey mouse houses in Singapore too and rents are falling as well, so housing wont be so much of problem.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 2:38 pm

One more plus, no anti foreigner sentiment for HK over Singapore. You won't find housing bias like "no Indians, prc or pinoys please"
none of this silly cig bans, pricey alcohol, great service in restaurants, and for all the pollution everyone speaks about Hong kongers enjoy the longest longevity.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 2:51 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:One more plus, no anti foreigner sentiment for HK over Singapore.
They aren't very happy about the influx of PRCs.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 2:54 pm

Girl_Next_Door wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I have a background in several different industries across 3 decades here and frankly, I've got to disagree with you girl-next-door. It sound like you have a very unusual working environment. I'm with Addadude on this one.

And we've got a half a century of experience here between us! :lol:

:o Dame 'dude, you been here a long time! :P
I can only said I am lucky to work with culturally sensitive colleagues while you might have encountered the more insensitive colleagues.
Definitely you are lucky. I would even say talking Chinese in a small group when it is obvious some people don't understand it is one of the most common impolite thing that happens here. I experience it at least once a week, I had it with random people openly switching to Chinese just to make us not able to understand (i.e. a LL talking to his agent while viewing an apartment). Also, contrary to what you suggested, nothing like this has ever happened if I were in some company of Indians. This is mostly the Chinese showing this sort of behavior.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 3:07 pm

x9200 wrote:
Girl_Next_Door wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I have a background in several different industries across 3 decades here and frankly, I've got to disagree with you girl-next-door. It sound like you have a very unusual working environment. I'm with Addadude on this one.

And we've got a half a century of experience here between us! :lol:

:o Dame 'dude, you been here a long time! :P
I can only said I am lucky to work with culturally sensitive colleagues while you might have encountered the more insensitive colleagues.
Definitely you are lucky. I would even say talking Chinese in a small group when it is obvious some people don't understand it is one of the most common impolite thing that happens here. I experience it at least once a week, I had it with random people openly switching to Chinese just to make us not able to understand (i.e. a LL talking to his agent while viewing an apartment). Also, contrary to what you suggested, nothing like this has ever happened if I were in some company of Indians. This is mostly the Chinese showing this sort of behavior.
Lot of locals actually get surprised when they see 2 Indians communicate among themselves in English. I have had to explain on so many instances that even though we are Indians, we speak so many languages and often times English is the only common language. Not everyone in India know hindi.

The thing about Indians in Singapore is that there are so many of us here, that we start forming micro communities of Tamil speaking, Telugu speaking, Hindi speaking, Kannada speaking, Marathi speaking.... etc :) Its only when you have people for 2 different micro communities in an office then, no choice lah, speak in English only.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 3:32 pm

x9200 wrote: I can only said I am lucky to work with culturally sensitive colleagues while you might have encountered the more insensitive colleagues.
My work envirnoment is completely opposite. The Indians here often discussed among themselves in Hindi. One of my colleagues (Brit Indian) who understands a little Hindi, commented that their "discussion" is often gossips about the non-Indian colleagues.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 6:10 pm

It looks like I am lucky with the Indians. For a general, everyday office social conduct, the only bad thing I can tell about Indians is that they are not that open to different cultures. For example, I could never understand how somebody living few good years in Singapore can not use chopsticks. We go out with some colleagues for a lunch, eat the same food in a Chinese restaurant and only Indians have problem with the utensils. It is not really a bad thing, just odd, Personally, I would be embarrassed. But this is a bit digressing from the topic.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 6:54 pm

x9200 wrote:It looks like I am lucky with the Indians. For a general, everyday office social conduct, the only bad thing I can tell about Indians is that they are not that open to different cultures. For example, I could never understand how somebody living few good years in Singapore can not use chopsticks. We go out with some colleagues for a lunch, eat the same food in a Chinese restaurant and only Indians have problem with the utensils. It is not really a bad thing, just odd, Personally, I would be embarrassed. But this is a bit digressing from the topic.
If you are not an eater of noodles then why would you ever use chopsticks.

I have some colleagues who cant use a knife and fork , I just put it down to never eating anything where a knife and fork would be required.

On a digression though , folks who just limit themselves to eating the same stuff day in and day out, I just dont get it when there are tons of options. I guess when you are from a place whereby there are a plethora of food options like the UK you tend not to be so restricted in your eating habits.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 7:30 pm

Barnsley wrote:
x9200 wrote:It looks like I am lucky with the Indians. For a general, everyday office social conduct, the only bad thing I can tell about Indians is that they are not that open to different cultures. For example, I could never understand how somebody living few good years in Singapore can not use chopsticks. We go out with some colleagues for a lunch, eat the same food in a Chinese restaurant and only Indians have problem with the utensils. It is not really a bad thing, just odd, Personally, I would be embarrassed. But this is a bit digressing from the topic.
If you are not an eater of noodles then why would you ever use chopsticks.

I have some colleagues who cant use a knife and fork , I just put it down to never eating anything where a knife and fork would be required.

On a digression though , folks who just limit themselves to eating the same stuff day in and day out, I just dont get it when there are tons of options. I guess when you are from a place whereby there are a plethora of food options like the UK you tend not to be so restricted in your eating habits.
Interesting view. Do you treat your baby (car) that way? Or do you give here the same type and brand of fuel every time? Cause that's what food it. Fuel. Beer works in much the same way, as we sometimes run erratically with we fill up with the wrong type as well. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 7:31 pm

^^ Just havin' a poke! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 7:40 pm

Barnsley wrote: On a digression though , folks who just limit themselves to eating the same stuff day in and day out, I just dont get it when there are tons of options. I guess when you are from a place whereby there are a plethora of food options like the UK you tend not to be so restricted in your eating habits.
There are 2 reasons:
1)Religion: Many Hindus are vegetarians and food from other cultures, its hard to find out if its truely vegetarian or not. Sometimes, these vendors we ask also, they dont understand the meaning of vegetarian. So to be safe, stick to Indian food.

2)Our taste buds: We eat a lot of spicy, salty and tangy food so our taste frequency is different. We are insensitive to light tastes, which westerns and people have never eaten spicy food can taste, but it tastes bland to us. There has to be lots of salt and chilli/pepper for us to sense any taste at all.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 9:59 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:One more plus, no anti foreigner sentiment for HK over Singapore. You won't find housing bias like "no Indians, prc or pinoys please"
none of this silly cig bans, pricey alcohol, great service in restaurants, and for all the pollution everyone speaks about Hong kongers enjoy the longest longevity.
Reminds me of the saying "Known devil...."

Those housing bias are no more, oredi. Owners are desperate to let out their houses, to anyone, who can afford now. In my area itself, 3 bedroom HDBs that used to rent out for 2.8k last year, are now going for 2.4k.