Singapore Expats

Any pools with lane ropes in Singapore?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
luckywolf

Any pools with lane ropes in Singapore?

Post by luckywolf » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:19 am

I'm moving to Sing shortly and are a keen swimmer - I've noticed though that most pools don't seem to use lane ropes - does anyone know where a good place to train is?

Cheers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Any pools with lane ropes in Singapore?

Post by the lynx » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:34 am

luckywolf wrote:I'm moving to Sing shortly and are a keen swimmer - I've noticed though that most pools don't seem to use lane ropes - does anyone know where a good place to train is?

Cheers
Hi fellow swimmer.

Lane ropes here are only used to distinguish sections of the pool in a swimming complex. At any point of time during public swimming hours, an Olympic sized pool is divided into three sections: common, continuous swim, and rental.

Common section is for the public. This is where you will go crazy, trying to evade either torpedoes or zig-zagging dog paddlers.

Continuous section would be the one you use. It is for swimmers to want to swim continuously. But it is just one lane's width and swimmers are expected to do swim in a counter-clockwise loop instead a regular straight lap. But at least you will face minimal obstruction to your swimming.

The third side is normally booked by groups of people practising lifesaving, triathlon or underwater hockey. So it is out of bounds. But if you are lucky, that section would be unoccupied and you can use it like common section.

How do you know which section is which?

The section closest to the changing room is always the common section. The continuous section is always in the middle and the rental section is always the farthest side from the changing room.

Hope it helps.

Note: Very rare to find condo pools with Olympic sized pool, let alone lane ropes. Unless you go for private swimming pools like Singapore Swimming Club.

luckywolf

Post by luckywolf » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:37 am

Thanks for that Info - I noticed a nice new complex is opening up (Sports Hub?) hopefully that will be the ticket.

cheers!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:44 am

luckywolf wrote:Thanks for that Info - I noticed a nice new complex is opening up (Sports Hub?) hopefully that will be the ticket.

cheers!
Sports Hub will be opened from 30th June. I'd strongly advise you to stay away from it, at least for the first three months, as it will be super duper crowded.

Every time a new mall or facility is opened in Singapore, it will always draw insane crowds and then the crowd will die down to regular size after three months, or longer.

If you are a serious swimmer, you will get it when I say how much I hate crowds when doing laps.

Edit:
Hmm. Looks like there is free admission for July for the opening of the Sports Hub and admission is controlled. Doesn't seem to be a bad idea.

http://www.sportshub.com.sg/VenueDocume ... 202014.pdf

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Any pools with lane ropes in Singapore?

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 3:16 pm

the lynx wrote:...
the one opposite KKH has lane roaps ....

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 3:21 pm

I think Jalan Besar Swimming complex had ropes too, I can't be a 100% sure though.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 3:43 pm

The Costa Del Sol condo has a dedictated 50m lap pool, only condo I know of that has one

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 9:12 am

Every large condo complex i've visited had olympic length swimming pools...
Our complex is only 200ish units and we have one.

Side note, I stress like crazy to my kid that swimmers have the right of way.
It helps if the swimmer stays to one side and not down the middle...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 9:32 am

Our condo has a 50m pool, but it's still used as a kiddy-pool (despite there being a large dedicated kiddy-pool 2 metres away), with toddlers doing widths on inflatable boats/crocodiles/etc or just getting in the way. It can make doing 'straight up and down laps' more than frustrating!

A lot of Asians can't swim, so the concept of wishing to swim uninterupted laps is pretty alien to most of them I think.

Well, one time recently I tore a strip off a father who was in the middle of the laps pool, playing ball with two children, right across the middle > 'This is a LAPS pool, for swimming LAPS, it's NOT a children's pool, or for PLAYING ball in!' Of course he looked at me as if I were bonkers :roll:

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 24 Jun 2014 2:16 pm

You can google for dedicated swim club as well, for people training for triathlon. I know that there are training sessions whereby similar keen swimmers will train, and the pools are organized to facilitate constant swimming. You can also find organized groups swimming in open water (on the beach at east coast).

If you are not really training for anything specific, most condos have long pools. A mid-size condo might suit you better as there are generally fewer people using the pool area. You can have a chat with the security guard from the condo that you are viewing, to have an idea regular swimming classes for kids (if any), whether there are a lot of families staying in the condo as well as whether the pool is often utilized.

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 4:10 pm

The swimming pool at Toa Payoh Sports Complex has lane ropes. Excellent facility, although it can get quite crowded at peak hours.