Singapore Expats

Freshly baked Uni graduate (UK) moving to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 8:26 pm

Without wanting to start a discussion about the quality or nutritional/health value of cheap local food options - it is difficult to cook a meal by yourself cheaper than buying one at a hawker stall (where you can get something that fills your stomach for S$5-8).
But given the incredible variety of good food available in Singapore, you don't want to eat only hawker food during your entire stay!

Since you are obviously both naive and on an improbably low budget: Singapore is one of the most expensive cities in the world and, especially as a foreigner, it isn't possible to live here on the cheap.
I personally wouldn't recommend coming with less than S$2000/month, even as a student.

lloydosaurus

Post by lloydosaurus » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 8:36 pm

3 Decades! Wow, hell of a tan then!

Thanks for the security tip, good to hear that the entire city is very safe. I won't have to worry about getting into scraps or violent situations, I've never been in one and hopefully never will.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 9:04 pm

lloydosaurus wrote:What's the lowest budget I have to commit to if I want to be able to cook? Having some hobs should be enough...
if it's something you can cook in a tiny shared dorm on an electric stove, it will probably be allowed. if we're talking about a chinese restaurant kitchen with chilli and rice wine and oil... no dice.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

lloydosaurus

Post by lloydosaurus » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 9:32 pm

Yeah that'll do, two pots/pans. Veg, pasta, some meats etc. Nothing extravagant.
From the previous comments it sounds like what is and what isn't allowed to be cooked should be clearly defined with the landlord before moving in?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:01 pm

lloydosaurus wrote:Yeah that'll do, two pots/pans. Veg, pasta, some meats etc. Nothing extravagant.
From the previous comments it sounds like what is and what isn't allowed to be cooked should be clearly defined with the landlord before moving in?
some landlords consider using a pot (even to boil an egg) cooking, and thus prohibited. if you want to be safeguard your rights, it's best to specify the types of cooking acceptable - because at some point down the road you will be told what you're doing/cooking is not allowed.

if the LL doesn't live there or rarely visits, then i assume (rightly or wrongly) anything goes...!

the "reason" behind this is (to my understanding anyway) because of the way most flats are designed (no real exhaust) means the oils/smoke from cooking will waft and settle all over the common areas and result in a generally dirty flat as most tenants do not clean up thoroughly when in a rental.

this in turn means, "wear and tear" beyond what the LL takes to be acceptable (there may be some staining that might never come off some furniture or areas) or additional cleaning when the tenants move out...

and to avoid that, because some tenants can be very creative in what's defined as "light cooking" or not, it is common for LL (especially those that live in the same flat as the tenant) to just do a blanket ban.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 11:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've been here over 3 decades and used to be a rather hard drinker & night owl (usually from 7 pm to around 5:3;0 am.
"USED to be"?????? Cough!!!!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 1:16 am

Addadude wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've been here over 3 decades and used to be a rather hard drinker & night owl (usually from 7 pm to around 5:3;0 am.
"USED to be"?????? Cough!!!!
He quit drinking when they invented the funnel.

lloydosaurus

Post by lloydosaurus » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 5:49 am

Thanks for all the words of wisdom so far everyone. I've taken on board everything that's been mentioned and have upped my budget to $800/month, to the delight of my family!

I have found a few places, whose interior seems respectable. Have you guys got any clues on the locations? One apartment is in Simei, D15-18 East. Another is Bukit Panjang (bangkit road?)

Once again thanks for all the input, taking it all on and making the jump a lot easier.

Once I've got housing sorted we'll move on to football 6/11 a side, swimming pools and fitness centres ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 6:59 am

Damn! Now I know how Rodney Dangerfield felt! Can't get no respect! :x :devil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPv2toi5og
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 2:52 pm

You can find any address in Singapore and also commute times between A and B at gothere.sg.
Both places you mentioned are far off into the suburbs, but that is what you will get for that money.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 3:17 pm

lloydosaurus wrote:...Once I've got housing sorted we'll move on to football 6/11 a side, swimming pools and fitness centres ;)
it need not be expensive or difficult to keep fit:

http://www.sportsingapore.gov.sg/about-us/facilities

lloydosaurus

Post by lloydosaurus » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 7:15 pm

Hi guys,

what is the deal on health insurance out there as an Expat?

What cover is given by the government and would you recommend some form of private insurance? Mine in the UK is about to expire.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 9:14 pm

There is no government insurance for foreigners but it is mandatory for employers to provide hospitalization insurance for some people on work permits (construction and FDW). Many expats here are covered by their company's insurance scheme. If your employer does not provide any, then you have to get private health insurance as the medical cost in singapore is very expensive. Look at NTUC, Prudential, AIG, Great Eastern, for some local private health insurance schemes. They mostly cover only hospitalization and hospitalization related expenses. The premiums may range from 400SGD/year onwards.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 9:30 pm

If you are looking for full coverage and not the minimal that local health insurance policies provide, I would check out BUPA, albeit expensive, it is comprehensive. Do a search of the forum using BUPA. Expat health insurance has been discussed numerous time here. There are a couple others that aren't too bad either. You will have to juggle your pocketbook vrs your requirements.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by singapore eagle » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:12 pm

If the OP is looking to rent a shared room in an HDB flat, I'm not sure his budget is going to stretch to BUPA!

If you don't have cover through work, you can pick up a basic insurance package for S$100 to S$200 through the local insurance companies. This will cover you for hospital care (although note that you will need to co-pay a proportion of your bill).

Edit: just checked and the annual premium at my insurer for a foreigner aged 19-30 is S$135. You have to pay the first S$1,500 of the hospital bill yourself, plus 10% of anything above this amount. If you top up another S$83, the insurer will cap the co-payment at S$2,000.